It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Milage modifications 05 liberty CRD
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:51 pm 
LOST Junkie

See, here's the thing: to change the timing belt, you have a lot of labor, the same labor it takes to get to/change the tensioners, water pump, idlers, etc. It makes no economic sense to tear it all down to change the belt, then do it all again in 30,000 miles or 50,000 miles to replace the water pump, then again ... you get the picture. You can spring for the whole 9 yards and just do it all at once, in which case you will have 100,000 miles of trouble free (on this score) driving, or you can pay the $800 labor several times to replace $200 parts each time. It's up to you.

This forum has seen one guy -- ONE -- who made it to 160,000 miles before his timing belt broke. And a BUNCH of people who's belts broke between 95,000 and 105,000 miles. And every time somebody has reported a timing belt breaking, they've also reported having to spend several thou more to repair rocker arms or more. This is very clearly a must-do item, and not one to put off at all. In fact, that 9 year old belt is about 3 years older than it's a good idea to continue to use, regardless of mileage. If the original belt is still in there, that engine is on borrowed time for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:23 pm 
LOST Member

dr5chrome wrote:
Thanks again!.. I did try to contact them both again.

My CRD - a 2005 w/97K mi. I can say, in all my years of owning cars, this one is the cleanest 9yr old car I have ever seen [no exaggeration]. Along with the kit - would you recommend the serpentine tensioner as well? I don't know if it has a GDE.. Where do I look for one if it has..? I guess a rocker health test can be done during the belt change.
I used to change the timing belt in a sooped-up Pinto I used to own [showing my age] in my youth, but this CRD is quite different.

regards, dw

Ah, if I had to guess, someone dumped this CRD because of the impending expense of the timing belt. At 97k, you need to get this done asap. You're on borrowed time.

As far as the GDE tune, two ways to tell whether you already have one: 1) email to Keith at support@greendieselengineering.com with your VIN number. 2) If right when you start the car it revs up above 1100 RPMs briefly before going back to idle.

Rocker health with a basic smartphone app and a OBDII dongle or someone's obd tool as ArmyChief said above.

Tow Package | Engine/Tranny/TC Skids | Fumoto F102S | Roof Rack | USA Spec PA-11CHR | EVIC | auto dimming mirror | Yoko Geolander A/T-S LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:00 am 
LOST Newbie

Sorry it took so long to get back to everyone, I have been out of town!! I will answer Pm's tonight :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:48 am 
LOST Newbie

..thanks all! I will get it done before any serious driving. fyi - the dealer that sold it to me offered a 100K/5yr power train warranty [insurance]. So if anything happens, it would be covered. This leads me to believe some work was done, but they did not disclose this info.

Best regards, dw

Home of the dr5 process - http://www.dr5.com