It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Considering a CRD........
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

So.... greetings from a new member. Hope to learn some things and add to my knowledge base here.

Last week a 240lb buck deer took out my beloved 2004 Liberty Sport that was bone stock and had just turned over 70k miles. It was pretty much a mint truck and I really liked it (my first Jeep).

I've been scouring the countryside for another low miles Liberty and came across a 2006 Sport CRD. also low miles (65k), appears to be a one-owner and is in REALLY nice shape.

Any thoughts on the little diesel..? Its going to be my commuter and I really like the idea of the better fuel mileage but ABOVE ALL I need it to be reliable with low maintenance costs. I can't afford major ( or even minor) mechanical problems. I intend on looking into an extended warranty but thought I would start here to get experienced opinions before I pull out the check book.

thanks in advance..

Post subject: Re: Considering a CRD........
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jkazak wrote:
Any thoughts on the little diesel..? Its going to be my commuter and I really like the idea of the better fuel mileage but ABOVE ALL I need it to be reliable with low maintenance costs. I can't afford major ( or even minor) mechanical problems. I intend on looking into an extended warranty but thought I would start here to get experienced opinions before I pull out the check book.

thanks in advance..

Well the first thing you are going to need is a timing belt, unless they can prove the old one was changed, or that could cost you $1000s in engine damage. At 65K it should still be pretty reliable, but you may want to upgrade the head bolts during your timing belt change. I would refor Geordi if you are not a DIY type. You may also want to consider a GDE tune to take care of the EGR problems?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jkazak wrote:
So.... greetings from a new member. Hope to learn some things and add to my knowledge base here.

Last week a 240lb buck deer took out my beloved 2004 Liberty Sport that was bone stock and had just turned over 70k miles. It was pretty much a mint truck and I really liked it (my first Jeep).

I've been scouring the countryside for another low miles Liberty and came across a 2006 Sport CRD. also low miles (65k), appears to be a one-owner and is in REALLY nice shape.

thanks in advance..

Read thru the NOOB guide, top of this forum section - click on this link, will take you there:

viewtopic.php?p=604519#p604519

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

flman wrote:
jkazak wrote:

thanks in advance..

Well the first thing you are going to need is a timing belt, unless they can prove the old one was changed, or that could cost you $1000s in engine damage. At 65K it should still be pretty reliable, but you may want to upgrade the head bolts during your timing belt change. I would refor Geordi if you are not a DIY type. You may also want to consider a GDE tune to take care of the EGR problems?

Thanks for the reply..... can you describe GDE tune for me...?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

gmctd wrote:
jkazak wrote:

thanks in advance..

Read thru the NOOB guide, top of this forum section - click on this link, will take you there:

viewtopic.php?p=604519#p604519

Ok read the NOOB guide - thank you.

I see the ORM listed for the '02-'04 Liberty..... was there a change in the later years to help so that they didn't really need this mod...?

I've also read some info that almost implies an inevitable transmission failure.... is this true...?

Also some statements about the rocker arms needing an upgrade...

Some of these discussions make me a bit wary... I am mechanically capable but I don't have a lot of time to play with stuff and certainly cannot afford to have my commuter sitting as a lawn ornament.....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I see the ORM listed for the '02-'04 Liberty..... was there a change in the later years to help so that they didn't really need this mod...?
Various methods of upgrading are entailed in this forum - you'll quickly be apprised of them
I've also read some info that almost implies an inevitable transmission failure.... is this true...?
Not any moreso than any other modern fully-electronic controlled automatic transmission - the 545RFE is prolly the best of them, being an all-clutch, no-bands gearbox
- was an early problem with a plastic component in the Torque Convertor - it was designed for the gasoline-fueled versions, used here with no thought for the increased low-rpm power in a turbocharged Diesel engine - later KJ's should be well past that

Later '05's and '06's should be well past that
Some of these discussions make me a bit wary... I am mechanically capable but I don't have a lot of time to play with stuff and certainly cannot afford to have my commuter sitting as a lawn ornament...
- these are now 9-10yrs old in 2015, so normal wear-and tear may require some addressing in all drive-train systems - ultimate enemy is time, so even any serendipitous lo-mileage finds will require some up-grading

Still worth it in the long run, tho
[/quote]

Do a SEARCH for 'tune', author Green Diesel Engineering, this forum.............

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jkazak wrote:
flman wrote:
jkazak wrote:

thanks in advance..

Thanks for the reply..... can you describe GDE tune for me...?

It takes care of a lot of the CRD issues. EGR failure, soot in intake that causes rocker failure, shudder that the stock vehicles have at 55 to 60 MPH, pays for itself in fuel savings. Makes you CRD have a lot more torque, and a more linear drive line.

http://www.greendieselengineering.com/g ... ethod=home

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:49 pm 
LOST Addict

jkazak wrote:

This is not a cheap car to maintain and I'm talking the routing stuff, not warranty repairs.

Warranty or not, if something major goes wrong you can be out of action for a bit due to poor parts supply. If you need it as a daily driver you better have a backup or that warranty better provide a rental.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

gmctd wrote:

Various methods of upgrading are entailed in this forum - you'll quickly be apprised of them
Not any moreso than any other modern fully-electronic controlled automatic transmission - the 545RFE is prolly the best of them, being an all-clutch, no-bands gearbox
- was an early problem with a plastic component in the Torque Convertor - it was designed for the gasoline-fueled versions, used here with no thought for the increased low-rpm power in a turbocharged Diesel engine - later KJ's should be well past that

Later '05's and '06's should be well past that
Some of these discussions make me a bit wary... I am mechanically capable but I don't have a lot of time to play with stuff and certainly cannot afford to have my commuter sitting as a lawn ornament...
- these are now 9-10yrs old in 2015, so normal wear-and tear may require some addressing in all drive-train systems - ultimate enemy is time, so even any serendipitous lo-mileage finds will require some up-grading

Still worth it in the long run, tho

Do a SEARCH for 'tune', author Green Diesel Engineering, this forum.............[/quote

Thank you. As its impossible to verify (without paperwork) if it has ever had any major rework I understand any used machine is kind of a crapshoot... but being a 2006 it sounds like it had some of the bug worked out of it already.... man I really want want for whatever reason.....maybe its just my OCD....hopefully it would at least get me through winter without problem and then I could start with the upgrades ad fine tuning....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I don't think it that much worse than most other 8-9 year old vehicles.

The key is that you have to be willing to do the work.

from day one the biggest problem has been the lack of trained techs.

the folks at dealerships got typically a 45 minute video that covered all model year changes including the diesel - and that was it - and they only saw one or two.

so no one is familiar with working on them - and if you have to train someone else -it gets expensive fast.

so you have to be willing to work on fuel systems, engine parts and an occasional computer issue.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

ATXKJ wrote:
I don't think it that much worse than most other 8-9 year old vehicles.

The key is that you have to be willing to do the work.

from day one the biggest problem has been the lack of trained techs.

the folks at dealerships got typically a 45 minute video that covered all model year changes including the diesel - and that was it - and they only saw one or two.

so no one is familiar with working on them - and if you have to train someone else -it gets expensive fast.

so you have to be willing to work on fuel systems, engine parts and an occasional computer issue.

Well....thanks for all the input. As I stated I can do the work - actually enjoy that type of stuff - as long as no special tools are required..... From all I've gathered here I think I will go for it. Sounds like you guys can walk me through any potential problems.....glad to be on-board.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:55 am 
LOST Newbie

Ok.... just talked to the Service Manager at the local dealership (Woodhouse). He seemed very familiar with the CRD, stated that they had sold a BUNCH of them and saying they have the best diesel mechanics around and that they have worked on them quite a bit. That makes me feel better - especially as he is my wife's nephew and (probably) wouldn't misguide me. He did say they couldn't do any non-factory tuning or mods but gave me the number of a local who can do all of that (as an option if I don't want to do it).

Still thinking I'm going to go for it along with the extended warranty and get the belt and mods done as soon as I can.......

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:42 pm 
LOST Addict

If the extended warranty isn't too expensive, it may worth since it gives you peace of mind and can also cover engine and transmission/powertrain damage. Regarding mechanics for this diesel engine, I'd take it with a grain of salt...

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:41 pm 
LOST Addict

jkazak wrote:
Still thinking I'm going to go for it along with the extended warranty and get the belt and mods done as soon as I can.......

Warranty and mods aren't usually 2 words you expect to see in the same sentence. Just make sure that any mods you do don't give them an excuse to void the warranty.

I don't know if you looked into pricing but don't be surprised if you have to pay about $4.5K for a max of 3 years.

Consider yourself fortunate if you have access to a dealer with a knowlegeable mechanic. Given the low production volume of this vehicle I would estimate the average allocation was somewhere between 1-2 dozen/dealer. My experience round here is that the dealers don't know jack about this vehicle. They are rare enough that many dealers will simply turn your business away. Even when you go to them with non diesel specific issues they still don't want to know.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

We've had our since we bought it new in 2005. It's an '06 Limited. We've got over 110k on it now. Runs beautifully. Timing belt was done by myself and fellow LOST member about a month ago. Not rocket science, but technical.

I took this truck over from my wife about three years or so ago - and every mod I've done to it - has made it 1,000% more fun to drive. Basically speaking, get the GDE Eco Tune asap. (Green Diesel Engineering). It's about $500, and worth way more than that. Changes how the truck behaves considerably. Second, was the Frankenlift II lift kit (2.5 inch +). That was an elective choice mostly, but the sagging CRD suspension needed to be changed anyway. That was a HUGE improvement in the overall handling of the vehicle. Huge.

There's quite a few other bits, mods, and pieces that you can feel free to tinker as you move along of course. I'd also check to make sure you have the updated fuel filter housing. It's not a expensive unit - but will save you frustration later on.

I've done nearly all the work myself, or with friendly help (I'm no expert) - and I haven't needed any special tools etc except for during the timing belt change (cam lock pins, etc, borrowed). This CRD will reward those who keep up with maintenance. And, it'll destroy those that don't... simply put. Keep proper fluid changes up to date. Clean the MAP. Learn the CRD.

Enjoy the fact that you have a rare Jeep, and prepare yourself for odd looks from non diesel people... :ROTFL:

And, get that GDE Tune asap.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

mudquest wrote:
We've had our since we bought it new in 2005. It's an '06 Limited. We've got over 110k on it now. Runs beautifully. Timing belt was done by myself and fellow LOST member about a month ago. Not rocket science, but technical.

I took this truck over from my wife about three years or so ago - and every mod I've done to it - has made it 1,000% more fun to drive. Basically speaking, get the GDE Eco Tune asap. (Green Diesel Engineering). It's about $500, and worth way more than that. Changes how the truck behaves considerably. Second, was the Frankenlift II lift kit (2.5 inch +). That was an elective choice mostly, but the sagging CRD suspension needed to be changed anyway. That was a HUGE improvement in the overall handling of the vehicle. Huge.

There's quite a few other bits, mods, and pieces that you can feel free to tinker as you move along of course. I'd also check to make sure you have the updated fuel filter housing. It's not a expensive unit - but will save you frustration later on.

I've done nearly all the work myself, or with friendly help (I'm no expert) - and I haven't needed any special tools etc except for during the timing belt change (cam lock pins, etc, borrowed). This CRD will reward those who keep up with maintenance. And, it'll destroy those that don't... simply put. Keep proper fluid changes up to date. Clean the MAP. Learn the CRD.

Enjoy the fact that you have a rare Jeep, and prepare yourself for odd looks from non diesel people... :ROTFL:

And, get that GDE Tune asap.

This..... is very encouraging. The main reason for thinking warranty is - of course - for major mechanical breakdown. I don't know how anyone could tell if it had a GDE Ecotune. I spoke with the local Service Manager again and he was VERY supportive about the purchase... even offering third party recommendations for any work needed - it helps that he's a relative.

Keep the thoughts and opinions coming - thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

If it had the GDE Tune already you could tell by the engine rpm's giving a noticeable runup right after the engine starts, and coming right back down. It's noticeable. The programming guys at GDE designed this into the program for two reasons, one, to tell that it's there, and two, as a mechanical thing related to related to prepping fuel pressure - or something of the sort. I'm sure somebody here has more details on that specifically.

It's probably the single most important / valuable mod you can do immediately to this CRD to improve performance, extend vehicle life span, and as preventative maintenance.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It is noticeable but the better way is to email Keith at GDE your VIN# and he can tell you if it has the tune. From another perspective no a dealer or vehicle inspection station cannot tell if it has the tune although a dealer can overwrite the tune if they go to "update" your ECU.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:11 pm 
LOST Junkie

WE have to plug our CCRD in every night or it will not shift correctly til it warms up.

I do not know what everybody elses experience is. Pretty much anytime it gets below 40 degrees. I am going to start a new thread on this issue.

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td
94 K3500 cc srw 5 speed 6.5td
91 International Model 6 speed spicer 4700

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:49 pm 
LOST Addict

jrsavoie wrote:
WE have to plug our CCRD in every night or it will not shift correctly til it warms up.

I do not know what everybody elses experience is. Pretty much anytime it gets below 40 degrees. I am going to start a new thread on this issue.

In my case, if transmission is cold to very cold, will not lock the torque converter for a good while, other than that, it runs and drives normally, like any cold diesel, and it shifts normally, side of tc lockup.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.