It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: acceleration problem
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

The Jeep is not accelerating all the time. I've replaced the MAP sensor. That wasn't it. I replaced the sending unit in the tank. That wasn't it.

The Jeep (2005 crd) will accelerate for a short time when I turn the key off and back on. I've even done it on the highway so that I could pass someone or get on the interstate without getting ran over.

I can't seem to find much out there about this problem. I've seen one person that explained the same systems, but all he did was to unconnecte the throttle position plug and plug it back in and he said his problem went away. That didn't work.

I've tried to find out if maybe it is the sensor on the peddle in the cab. Not much luck looking that up. Here is a link to the same systems that i'm having.
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091227224950AAb9boV

Yes, lots of codes are being thrown.

p0234, p0093, p0183,p0102.

I'm at my wits end on this one. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: acceleration problem
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:09 pm 
LOST Addict

I wonder if there isn't some air in the fuel, to me, it sounds like it. The codes you get may be related (but not directly caused) to your hard throttle and air in fuel.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

All those DTC's are from connectors at the top rear of the engine: MAP (BOOST), Rail Pressure Solenoid, Rail Pressure Sensor - check your wiring harness and connectors in that area - pictures in full living color in NOOB thread, top of this forum

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54207

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

Last edited by gmctd on Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Do you have the 1s gen fuel filter head (see fuel bleeding video on Sir Sams NOOB guide - hint is one of the electric plugs bright blue which =s 2n gen fuel filter head). If so you likely have air in the filter head and may have a bad fuel temperature sensor. Short term solution bleed filter head; long term solution get 2n gen head and wiring pigtail.

You might have a bad boost pressure solenoid so try the bypass at viewtopic.php?f=5&t=70602&p=757348&hilit=boost+solenoid#p757348 . If problem goes away replace the solenoid.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:24 am 
LOST Newbie

I totally by passed the filter and still had the same problem. So I'm sure it's not air in the fuel unless it is coming from the tank.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:58 am 
LOST Addict

Then I'd go ahead fix the issues that are causing the cel and then maybe everything goes away. Did you check the turbo hoses (all 3 of them) and if the clamps are secured properly? Not sure, was one of the codes an under boost?

Not lastly, if you haven't done a computer reset, this may help. Reset all the codes before, just to be sure they are erased. The procedure is this:
-disconnect the positive (not negative) terminal from battery
-ground/touch the positive terminal on the connected to battery ground terminal for 30+ seconds to discharge any capacitor
-connect back the positive terminal
-turn ignition on, but don't crank engine
-turn the headlights on
-turn headlights off
-crank the engine

Many times, especially when adding new electronics or change sensors the computer goes crazy... Battery health can also be a cause.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:09 pm 
LOST Junkie

halburchal wrote:
I totally by passed the filter and still had the same problem. So I'm sure it's not air in the fuel unless it is coming from the tank.

Brave man...that could be a really expensive test if grit gets into your fuel pump.

I'm with gmctd: check the electrical connections. It sounds like it is going into limp mode.

At 138k, new head & gasket, timing belt, rockers and swearing vocabulary

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok reset the computer. When I started the car the CEI was out but came on immediately. I only have two codes now P0102 and P0234.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:16 pm 
LOST Addict

halburchal wrote:
Ok reset the computer. When I started the car the CEI was out but came on immediately. I only have two codes now P0102 and P0234.

P0102 is the code you get when your MAF is disconnected.

P0234 is related to turbo boost.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:22 pm 
LOST Junkie

halburchal wrote:

To clarify: the CEL comes on
- as soon as the ignition key is turned to on?
- as soon as the engine is cranked and starts idling?
- as soon as you accelerate?
- something else?

If CEL comes on as soon as you turn the key on, I'd suspect electrical or bad sensor. If CEL only comes on when acceleration, I'd suspect either a bad/dirty MAF sensor or stuck turbo vanes (depends on how old your vehicle is). Overboost could be bad long-term. Do a search here for how to check the turbo actuator, and don't be imprecise in measuring: the difference between the 7-8mm of play in the system and the 12-13mm of actual travel when it is working right is not easy to estimate.

HTH,

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:32 pm 
LOST Addict

What greiswig said. Papaindigo posted few posts above how to check the turbo vacuum actuator, give it a shot. Map can also be the cause since it reads a bunch of things like pressure, temperature, flow... So if it's not clean/hasn't been cleaned recently you should clean it with some non chlorinated brake cleaner or throttle body cleaner. I'd also look at each boost hose and airbox to turbo hose. Last one rottens where is connected to the turbo and you won't see it unless you take it out and bend it. This shouldn't throw a cel (it could in fact have something to do with maf code, not sure if you have it disconnected or not, or if you have a recent gde tune), but since you get your hands dirty anyways, wouldn't hurt to look at it :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:39 pm 
LOST Junkie

Only reason I wouldn't suspect leaky hoses or CAC is that 234 is an overboost condition, not underboost. Unless I'm wrong.
(NO! Believe everything you read here and on the internet in general!)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:53 pm 
LOST Addict

greiswig wrote:
Only reason I wouldn't suspect leaky hoses or CAC is that 234 is an overboost condition, not underboost. Unless I'm wrong.
(NO! Believe everything you read here and on the internet in general!)

Logically, you should be right! But inspecting the hoses won't be a bad idea, especially if they are the stock ones.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

So since I'm getting an over boost then I should check the waste gate and see if it is moving enough?