It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just a general newb comment on this storehouse of knowledge
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:17 pm 
LOST Member

Location: Virginia, west of D.C. / In the middle of moving to Roanoke
Us newer guys are losing out on metric tonnes of info when the older threads/posts have the pix scrubbed after the original posters (sometimes) move on, and/or delete the pix from their off site caches.

I don't know as how there's much if anything to be done about it in real life.

I just wanted to put it out there.

- Weeks Kit Stage 1.
- Weeks Kit Stage 2.
- JBA 2.5 inch Silver kit and UCAs installed at 125K miles.
- Weeks supplied Samco Intercooler Hoses and clamps.

Waiting for time, limber fingers, and good weather to do my HDS Model 001 Thermostat unit swap.

Post subject: Re: Just a general newb comment on this storehouse of knowle
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

As far as I know there is no way to post pictures directly too the forum rather one must post pictures to something like Photobucket and then put a link to the picture in a forum post. This reduces the "size" of the forum on whatever servers host it but has the disadvantage of causing images to disappear if, for whatever reason, the link gets broken.

My personal solution has been to copy any post I might want to access "someday" into a Word or PDF file, images and all.

Works for me but is of limited value to other members although I am happy to email files of that older information upon request.

So if you are looking for something in particular let me know.

Otherwise SirSams Noob guide has lots of useful stuff.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

List the offending threads\posts:
rite-click on the little flag,
copy short-cut,
paste into a temporary text document file on your PC
- copy the completed list, open a thread here, paste the urls into ur post

Possibly the original poster can renew the link to the IMG

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

crasher wrote:
Us newer guys are losing out on metric tonnes of info when the older threads/posts have the pix scrubbed after the original posters (sometimes) move on, and/or delete the pix from their off site caches.

I don't know as how there's much if anything to be done about it in real life.

I just wanted to put it out there.

I've been in IT for 18 years ( into computers since BBS direct Dialup systems) , and surfing the interwebs since before it was the called the "Internet" and this is an escalating issue.
I post all my pictures directly from Google + Photos now , where as I posted from PhotoBucket 2 or 3 years ago.

papaindigo wrote:
As far as I know there is no way to post pictures directly too the forum rather one must post pictures to something like Photobucket and then put a link to the picture in a forum post. This reduces the "size" of the forum on whatever servers host it but has the disadvantage of causing images to disappear if, for whatever reason, the link gets broken.

The key thing here is size , Just imagine how big a Forum space wise would be if all pictures where stored within the forum Database. One word comes to mind HUGE and storage space costs $$$ for these forums.

papaindigo wrote:
My personal solution has been to copy any post I might want to access "someday" into a Word or PDF file, images and all.

This is what I do , just have to watch the new version of Word and Google Docs , they tend to have gone with the same trend of forums, where if the picture is linked from the web (if you copy and paste from a forum) , it links it and does not embed it into the document . Again keeps the size down of your file.
PDF is one of the safer bets at this point, as it puts everything into the PDF file ( no external links)
I then store the PDF up on my google drive so I can get at it from anywhere .

I have a $79 7inch Andriod Tablet in the Garage attached to my workbench on an arm and plugged in 95% of the time . The touch screen works through Nitrille gloves .. but the screen does get pretty dirty but nothing that doesn't wipe off. Be nice if it was bigger .. but does the job for now.

Transgo 45RFE-HD2 / Tranny Filters / Fresh Fluid - 284KM - Jan 2015