It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Position Sensor
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:05 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Here's my CKP sensor experience so far:

A couple of times in August, the Jeep did a weird "bucking" thing, where - as i understand it now - basically the engine flat died, but as the torque converter hadn't time to release the clutch, vehicle movement kicked the engine over again, and it continued running. This happened 2 or 3 times, but no codes, and as it kicked over again there wasn't any cause for much alarm it seemed.

On Labor day, I went to town, 20 miles, to the closest Napa store. All was fine, Jeep ran completely normal. I don't even remember what I needed, but when I exited the store, and went to start the Jeep, there was nothing. Lights on, battery good, turn the key, and Nada. I checked the battery connections, checked the fuses, checked the relays, everything normal. At this point, I was thinking bad starter or bad solenoid.

I went and called AAA from the Napa phone as I didn't have my cell with me.

In meantime, I pulled the (-) terminal off the battery for 15 minutes to see if whatever it was would reset. When I hooked it back up, still nothing. I had a fellow in the store do the wood stick, and hammer-tap maneuver on the starter while I held the key in the crank position, which normally works if the problem is starter motor brushes. That made no difference. So I buttoned the thing back up and sat waiting for the tow truck.

After about 10 minutes more, I pretty much out of habit this time, turned the key, and it immediately cranked over and started. No missing, just sat there idling perfectly. I went into Napa again, and called AAA to cancel the truck, as it was now running, and when I came back out of the store he was there wondering why he was supposed to tow a running vehicle. I signed his job sheet, apologized, and went to drive back home.

The first 4-5 miles went perfectly, but then it started the "bucking" thing again, and this time I gave it about half throttle so it was really obvious with the dying, kicking over, hard power, (not limp mode) buck, power, dead, buck, power, etc. till I finally came to a friend's driveway, where I pulled in, and it died, dead. Same as before. (no one home b/c holiday)

Getting suspicious, I looked at the Temp gauge, and the needle was just above the 10:00 wide black mark. Not quite fully warmed. After about an hour the temp had gone back down, I tried to start it, and it fired back up.

Drove it again, about 5 more miles, and the bucking started up again, then finally just died flat. I was able to coast to a pull-off point, and hiked a mile to the nearest phone, and called AAA again. By the time the tow truck got there, it fired up again, but I just had him tow it the remaining 10 miles back home.

No one locally had the CKP sensor this thing uses, (not even the dealers) so I ordered one online.

I installed it. I've driven it about 200 miles since, hot, cold, rain, shine, 6+ miles of full throttle acceleration 0-80-0 repeatedly, and it hasn't missed a lick since.

I still have this doubt in the back of my mind though, that some have said that the CKP sensor, when it fails, the engine cranks, but won't start. This one, every time, was just flat dead. Plenty of battery, but no cranking at all. All of the ones that said that were 2005. Mine is 2006. I know the ECM is different, but I don't know if that is one of the differences. I've kept all my flogging the last week to a 50 mile radius from home, just to be somewhat cautious, but it's given no more hint of that problem

Also.. All this time, the whole time.... No Codes.

I took the sensor I removed, and tested the resistance across the 1-2 terminals. Supposed to be ~1000 ohms. It measured 986 at room temperature. I put it in water on a low temp burner with a thermometer in it. As the temperature raised, the resistance raised. When the temperature got to 160-165 degrees F, the ohmmeter suddenly went from about 1010F to reading 000. Not an open circuit, and a dead short contact reads 0.000 on that setting, and it beeps. I've never seen that reading from that meter before. At around 180 degrees F the reading picked up around 1030 ohms.
As the temperature fell back down upon removing from the heat, around 175 degrees F, the reading again went all wonky until about 160F.

I'm pretty sure the one I removed is bad. I'm just not completely sure that something else isn't hiding in the woodshed.

One positive note.. When I switched the sensor, I dug out a roll of header wrap I didn't get around to using about 10 years ago, and wrapped the down pipe from the turbo flange, all the way to the woven flex section by the rear crossmember. Anchored it on with Stainless worm drive hose clamps. Immediately after doing the repeated acceleration runs, I was able to grab hold of that section of the exhaust pipe. It was hot, but not to the point of making me let go quick. I could hold it in my hand without getting burned, and the difference when I raised the hood was immediately noticeable. Even if it does make that piece rust faster, it's still worth it. The only thing left throwing heat you can feel is the back couple inches of the exhaust manifold that isn't shielded.

The most pressing question right now is whether to publish this as a short story or a novel....

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:03 pm 

GordnadoCRD wrote:
Here's my CKP sensor experience so far:
I still have this doubt in the back of my mind though, that some have said that the CKP sensor, when it fails, the engine cranks, but won't start. This one, every time, was just flat dead. Plenty of battery, but no cranking at all. All of the ones that said that were 2005. Mine is 2006. I know the ECM is different, but I don't know if that is one of the differences. I've kept all my flogging the last week to a 50 mile radius from home, just to be somewhat cautious, but it's given no more hint of that problem

I'm pretty sure the one I removed is bad. I'm just not completely sure that something else isn't hiding in the woodshed.

The most pressing question right now is whether to publish this as a short story or a novel....

I believe you are wise to have doubt Gordon!
I do not believe that the no starter motor function situation you experienced and the engine dying due to a bad crank position sensor have anything to do with each other; no relation, just coincidental... :shock:

Logically thinking: In order for the ECM to deny an engine start due to loss of signal or bad signal from a CPS, it would first have to at least allow the engine starter to engage and spin the engine over to check for the pulse signal from the CPS.

Nowhere in the 2006 FSM does it connect a starter motor problem with the CPS!
Transmission Park/Neutral position could be at fault?

See ENGINE ELECTRICAL DIAGNOSTICS 9 - 625 in the 2006 FSM for detailed troubleshooting steps for the 7 items listed below.
12v test lamp and multimeter required!

These are the 7 Items the 2006 FSM list for starter failure:
Possible Causes
MECHANICAL CONDITION
BATTERY CIRCUIT RESISTANCE TOO HIGH
FUSED IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT CIRCUITS
FUSED B+ CIRCUIT OPEN
(T752) STARTER RELAY CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN
(T750) STARTER RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT OPEN
TRANSMISSION RANGE SENSOR
STARTER RELAY
STARTER

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:00 pm 
LOST Member

GordnadoCRD wrote:
I still have this doubt in the back of my mind though, that some have said that the CKP sensor, when it fails, the engine cranks, but won't start. This one, every time, was just flat dead. Plenty of battery, but no cranking at all.

GordnadoCRD wrote:
I took the sensor I removed, and tested the resistance across the 1-2 terminals. Supposed to be ~1000 ohms. It measured 986 at room temperature. I put it in water on a low temp burner with a thermometer in it. As the temperature raised, the resistance raised. When the temperature got to 160-165 degrees F, the ohmmeter suddenly went from about 1010F to reading 000. Not an open circuit, and a dead short contact reads 0.000 on that setting, and it beeps. I've never seen that reading from that meter before. At around 180 degrees F the reading picked up around 1030 ohms.
As the temperature fell back down upon removing from the heat, around 175 degrees F, the reading again went all wonky until about 160F.

I wonder if the sensor being shorted out caused the PCM to not engage the starter. Like either something in the programming (you'd think it would throw a code if this were the case), or maybe even the short messing with the electronic components in the PCM causing it to not function properly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:14 pm 
LOST Addict

I don't know, but I've put on another 230 miles, some highway, mostly backroads, some city stop and go, and it still hasn't missed a lick. It could be coincidental, but it's getting statistically less likely all the time.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'll simply offer that a bad, in anyway, crank position sensor can cause a variety of weird problems (no start at all, no start when hot but ok when cold, "spastic" running including random hesitations, etc) all with no CEL (I have no clue if there is a stored code that a DCJ or equivalent code reader can pull).

If you a) pull off the CPS and test it and resistance goes nuts with heat the CPS is bad and b) you replace the CPS and your weird problems go away then you have most likely fixed the problem.

Sometimes on today's overly electronic vehicles overthinking a problem can itself be a problem. I'm not a big fan of throwing parts at a problem but the CPS is an exception.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:51 pm 
LOST Member

papaindigo wrote:
I'll simply offer that a bad, in anyway, crank position sensor can cause a variety of weird problems (no start at all, no start when hot but ok when cold, "spastic" running including random hesitations, etc) all with no CEL (I have no clue if there is a stored code that a DCJ or equivalent code reader can pull).
I swear I read somewhere that the P0335 isn't set until the PCM sees something like 6 continuous camshaft rotations without any signal from the crank position sensor, but I can't find where I read that now. I think most people stop cranking before that condition is met.

Edit: Ok I did more digging and apparently it was in the Powertrain diagnostic procedures manual (as opposed to the Powertrain-Diesel one). So that actually applies to the gas engines. :roll:
But when my new crankshaft position sensor wasn't seated correctly, it did take a lot of cranking before it set a P0335 so maybe the programming is the same for the diesel PCM?
BTW the number was actually 8 cam position sensor signals.

Last edited by joe_ on Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:15 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
I would suspect that the computer's power-up self check registered the dead short on the sensor and went into an E-stop mode because of that... Frustrating that it is not coding though! There is another CRD that is having similar issues where it just dies without warning while running (no bucking, just *poof* and gone) and won't restart until it cools for about 15-20 minutes at least. Both the cam and crank have been replaced but there appears to be a wiring issue in one of the plugs at the ECM that may point to this one.

My sister's CRD also sometimes just refuses to turn over, but if they try it 3 times in a row, it will turn on the second or third turn of the key. Reasons escape logic. The keyswitch was broken and replaced (the actual actuator on the key side was broken, not the electrical switch) but they replaced the electrical part too.

These things are a continual source of electrical issues.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:24 pm 

A simple way to test; someone with an 06 simply unplug their CPS and see if the starter will still activate (spin) and engage but not start the engine if it spins over.
If the starter motor will not activate and spin the engine over with the CPS unplugged, then we have discovered yet another anomaly not previously known or covered in the FSM about these unusual vehicles... :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:34 pm 
LOST Addict

The third pin indicates it's more than a simple hall effect sensor. I don't know what it's for though, as there is no continuity with the other 2 wires.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:10 am 
LOST Member

IIRC the connector on the sensor side has 3 pins, but the connector on the wiring harness side only has 2 wires. According to the service manual, inside the sensor is a magnet with a coil of wire surrounding it. As the crankshaft rotates, each time a metal tooth passes by the sensor, the magnet is pulled toward the tip of the sensor. Every time there's a gap between the teeth, the magnet moves back, away from the crankshaft (I assume there's a spring in there). As the magnet moves back and forth inside the coil, it generates an alternating current. The PCM looks at the frequency of the alternating current and from there determines the speed of the crankshaft.

If you want to read more about it, look in the service manual under 14-FUEL SYSTEM -> FUEL INJECTION - 2.8L DIESEL -> CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR -> OPERATION (page 14-80 of the manual, which is page 1607 of the pdf).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:04 am 

joe_ wrote:
IIRC the connector on the sensor side has 3 pins, but the connector on the wiring harness side only has 2 wires. According to the service manual, inside the sensor is a magnet with a coil of wire surrounding it. As the crankshaft rotates, each time a metal tooth passes by the sensor, the magnet is pulled toward the tip of the sensor. Every time there's a gap between the teeth, the magnet moves back, away from the crankshaft (I assume there's a spring in there). As the magnet moves back and forth inside the coil, it generates an alternating current. The PCM looks at the frequency of the alternating current and from there determines the speed of the crankshaft.

If you want to read more about it, look in the service manual under 14-FUEL SYSTEM -> FUEL INJECTION - 2.8L DIESEL -> CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR -> OPERATION (page 14-80 of the manual, which is page 1607 of the pdf).

Exactly! And as I stated earlier in this thread, I do not believe a bad or malfunctioning CPS can prevent starter motor operation! Starter motor failure is a different issue entirely... :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:32 am 
LOST Newbie

Unplugging the CPS connector and putting a jumper across the 2 pins will simulate the shorted condition of the CPS and should result in the starter not engaging if that hypothesis is correct.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:30 am 
LOST Newbie

Yet another bad crank position sensor.

I've been chasing air in fuel for a little while now and after doing a lift pump and fuel filter head it seemed good. The about a week later it had the same long crank, hard start. I did notice the rubber fuel line coming into the filter head from the tank was very badly rotted and had cracks throughout.

After reading this thread I started thinking maybe CKP. But my gut was still telling me air in fuel. I was thinking air was seeping in the rotted fuel line and causing drain back toward the tank. Although in hindsight the hard start being so intermittent should have set off a flag.

I ordered a crank sensor anyway. Then fixed the fuel line with clear braided hose where the rubber was. After fixing the hose it seemed running better than it ever has. Took it for a nice little road trip on Saturday. All seemed good......until Sunday morning. A true crank no start. After a few minutes of cranking to no avail I decided to change the sensor. By the way what a pita. I wound up having to move the coolant tank out of the way so I could pull it from the top. I could not get it out from the bottom. I also was a little timid because I've had both a map sensor and abs sensor break off inside their respective holes.

After changing it the jeep fired on maybe 2.5 rotations and has done so every time since. On day 3 of driving it now and the problem seems to be licked.

Thanks once again the all the expertise on Lost.

05 Liberty crd 185k miles / Lifters and rockers, arp studs, h.d.s. thermostat, weeks stage 1+2, carter lift pump with sasquatch harness, gen 2 filter head, hemi t/c, 245/70r16 bfg a/t ko2, on board air, uniden pro 520xl
4.10s with a detroit locker in the rear and e-locker up front
Next up....skids and GDE eco FT.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:16 pm 

Locked KJ wrote:
Yet another bad crank position sensor
After changing it the jeep fired on maybe 2.5 rotations and has done so every time since. On day 3 of driving it now and the problem seems to be licked.
Thanks once again the all the expertise on Lost.

Probably the No. 1 most reported problem/failure on a Jeep CRD you will see on this forum! :roll:
Glad it fixed yours and got you back going. :JEEPIN:

If in doubt, change the Crank Position Sensor!!!! :juggle:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:31 pm 
LOST Addict

There seems to be some weird variety to the specific no-start symptoms as well.

The one thing that seems to be most (although not 100%) consistent, is the no-DTC-code with the no-start condition.

Since changing mine, there has been no further instance of the no-start no-crank condition.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:13 pm 

GordnadoCRD wrote:
There seems to be some weird variety to the specific no-start symptoms as well.
The one thing that seems to be most (although not 100%) consistent, is the no-DTC-code with the no-start condition.
Since changing mine, there has been no further instance of the no-start no-crank condition.

Some on here have actually reported getting a DTC, most never get anything but the problems/symptoms.... :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

Definitely seems like the cause of many headaches. Thinking about just picking up a spare and keeping it in the jeep. It would really bite to have that crap out miles down the beach or worse hundreds of miles away on a road trip. Already have a ratchet and 10mm in there. Just need an extra 5mm allen socket.

Btw no dtc's. Just intermittent extended cranks. Random on temp too. Sometimes cold, sometimes warm. Usually not hot though.

05 Liberty crd 185k miles / Lifters and rockers, arp studs, h.d.s. thermostat, weeks stage 1+2, carter lift pump with sasquatch harness, gen 2 filter head, hemi t/c, 245/70r16 bfg a/t ko2, on board air, uniden pro 520xl
4.10s with a detroit locker in the rear and e-locker up front
Next up....skids and GDE eco FT.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:54 pm 
LOST Addict

Mine seemed to have a favorite temperature to go wacky. Just below normal operating temp.

When testing it in a pan of water with a cooking thermostat in it, the resistance across the E-mag coils would rise slowly, then at that temp, would go berzerk, then up around full op temp. it would come back, and when cooling, it would do the same thing in the same temp range.

From reading a ton of info in old forums, it seems most are good for 100k more or less, and when they do go, you can still run them for a bit once they cool down.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

See viewtopic.php?f=5&t=87383 for CPS failure while driving on interstate on my son’s 06.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:19 pm 
LOST Junkie

2006 - 145,000 km
hot day, highway
check engine light on, limp mode
P0700, P0725

changed crankshaft position sensor

There has been no problem for a couple of days now but I will report any new issues as they come up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next