It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Position Sensor
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I made it 1000 miles with out a hiccup, but I do have a spare CPS now just in case. Considering my Jeep was running at all, it could have been a hiccup in the fuel system? But it was strange, it only occured after a hot restart?

Any ways, was running all through the mountains and hills of West Virginia, and that CRD is one awesome vehicle for this application, would not have been as much fun doing it in a gasser all revved up and burning a ton of gasoline.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:05 am 
LOST Newbie

2005 KJ CRD 2.8 (200K KM)
Hi from South Africa. On two occasions in the past months started normally, then lost power and would not pick up revs. No fault codes!!! Replaced CPS and problem sorted. Engine also runs smoother at idle and starts easier. Thanks to this Forum, I could diagnose the symptoms and fix it.

Susp:Ironman Coils, Shocks new bushes and ball joints
Therm: Replaced
EGR: Cleaned, re-installed
CCV Catch Can
MAP sensor: Cleaned
Injectors: Repl
Alt pulley: Repl
Serp Belt: Repl
Crank Pos Sens: Replaced
T/B & W/P: Repl @ 200k Km
Repl Cer GP with Etechno 7V GP 212k Km
Repl CCV

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ludi Neethling wrote:
2005 KJ CRD 2.8 (200K KM)
Hi from South Africa. On two occasions in the past months started normally, then lost power and would not pick up revs. No fault codes!!! Replaced CPS and problem sorted. Engine also runs smoother at idle and starts easier. Thanks to this Forum, I could diagnose the symptoms and fix it.

I still did not replace mine, but I kept it in the Jeep to finish up the trip. Reassuring to hear you had the same symptoms as me, and the CPS fixed it?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:53 pm 
LOST Member

Had this sensor fail in my 06 at around 152k miles. It died in traffic at a stop light while my wife was driving. Had to push the jeep into a parking lot up a small incline with the help of my sister. I had some air in the fuel housing so I bled that off.. and then left to eat with my family. after about an hour i went back and it fired right up like nothing ever happened.

If Im remembering correctly It died 1 other time in traffic as well as refusing to start 3 times or so. I got OEM replacement cam and Crank sensor and replaced both, No engine codes were recorded during any of the incidents. Since I have replaced those 2 sensors I have had 0 problems with it.

the 2 times it died in traffic were 90+ degree days with AC running and such. It seems after I would let the jeep cool down awhile it would just fire back up no problem. Other times it was running fine when I parked it and then when I tried to leave it would just crank but never try to fire.

05 CRD Limited GDE Hot Tune, EuroTC, ARPs, Full EGR Del, IDParts Hoses, Etecno 7v GP, OME 790 Bilstein 916front, OME948 OME N132Lrear, JBA A-Arms, 245/75/16 Duratracs+Moabs, Renegade roof lights, Curt Front Hitch, BTF Kryptonite Diff, JCR Stage2 Rails, SkidRow Skids, HDS Tstat,

Sold 06 CRD Limited K&N, EHM, ORM, EuroTC, TransgoKit, Samcos

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

CATCRD wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:
There seems to be a lot of failures or suspected failures of Crankshaft Position Sensors on our Jeep CRD's in the recent past.
So, I thought I would start a thread for everyone to list their failures so all on here could learn from it and know what to expect when it might happen to them!
Please post your symptoms and / or details if you have had a failure of the Crankshaft Position Sensor so all can learn from your experience.

Here is the sequence of events:
My wife tells me one day she came back to start her jeep which was already hot. It took a long time cranking but eventually fired up fine, with no codes.
1wk later, same thing.
1wk later, Jeep wouldn't start at all hot. Let it cool and all was fine.
1wk later, it almost died on me while in a drive thru. It was like all the injectors quit firing for a quarter second, but afterwards kept running smooth and with no codes.
1wk later, while I was out of town, of course, it died on her at a stoplight. After cranking for a while it started up and drove fine. After getting to her destination, it wouldn't start at all and she had to get a ride home.

After reading jeepdan's saga, the first thing I suspected was the crankshaft position sensor. So I took it out and did the same heat gun test on it. It started out at 1100 ohms and steady, but after only about 30 seconds the resistance skyrocketed up to 40kohm and bounced around between there.

To remove the crank sensor, the best way is from under the passenger side. There is a small heatshield on the block, below the turbo, which protects the sensor from heat off the downpipe. Remove the two 10mm bolts holding it on and you can drop it out and see the sensor. An 8mm bolt holds the pigtail bracket to the engine, I had to remove that just to squeeze the plug locking tab. Then a 5mm allen will remove the sensor from the block, it sticks about 2 inches into the block and will come out oily.

I have the P0340 code on my Jeep right now. Over the weekend I put another Bosch CPS in it and I erased the codes. I drove it all weekend and each time I shut it down I checked the OBD and all was good until last night when it reappeared. I noticed that their is no 'heat shield' on this Jeep between it and the exhaust......could the heat be killing the sensor or possibly causing bad readings? I havent had any problems starting the Jeep at all whether it is warm or cold.

Thanks
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:30 pm 
LOST Addict

P0340 is supposed to be the camshaft sensor.

Yes, the crank sensor should have a heat shield over it.
You might consider starting a thread asking if anyone has a spare heat shield they could sell you. Or you could try making your own.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

flash7210 wrote:

You might consider starting a thread asking if anyone has a spare heat shield they could sell you. Or you could try making your own.

So do you think that the excess heat is throwing the code out there?

Thank you

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:12 pm 
LOST Member

steeler8643 wrote:
flash7210 wrote:

Thank you

Bob

You're dealing with 2 different sensors.

Yes, you really should find a heatshield for the crankshaft posit sensor.

However, you're looking at a CAMshaft (not crankshaft) Posit sensor failure right now, according to flash7210.

If you're in New England and need your KJ TB done, PM me.

Retired:
Tractor: Dark Khaki '06 CRD Sport, GDE ECO & Trans Tunes, 2.5" lift + 245/75r16. - Sold 27Apr16
Ghost: Silver '06 KJ CRD Limited, bunch of goodies done - Sold 18Apr16

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

Rixram wrote:
steeler8643 wrote:
flash7210 wrote:

Thank you

Bob

You're dealing with 2 different sensors.

Yes, you really should find a heatshield for the crankshaft posit sensor.

However, you're looking at a CAMshaft (not crankshaft) Posit sensor failure right now, according to flash7210.

Where is the CAMshaft sensor located?

Thanks Bob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:28 pm 

Found an OEM CPS Heat Shield on eBay if you want one: > http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2006-Jeep- ... L8&vxp=mtr
18 bucks and free shipping!

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
Found an OEM CPS Heat Shield on eBay if you want one: > http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2006-Jeep- ... L8&vxp=mtr

I saw that too.....thanks for looking......I will definitely be picking one up....I hope it comes with the bolts!!

Thanks
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:13 pm 

steeler8643 wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:

I saw that too.....thanks for looking......I will definitely be picking one up....I hope it comes with the bolts!!

Thanks
Bob

If it does not, you can pick up some 6mm bolts at your local hardware store, they need to be ~12-15mm long...put some flat washers on them as well... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

steeler8643 wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:

Thanks
Bob

You wouldnt happen to know where the CAMshaft position sensor is located, would you?

Thanks
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

steeler8643 wrote:
steeler8643 wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:

Thanks
Bob

You wouldnt happen to know where the CAMshaft position sensor is located, would you?

Update:

I located it on the PartsFiche pdf. Looks like its easy to replace......on the back of the head near the firewall.

Thanks
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:38 pm 
LOST Addict

steeler8643 wrote:

Thanks Bob

On top of the engine. directly over the exhaust cam. towards the back and behind the CCV.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

flash7210 wrote:
steeler8643 wrote:

Thanks Bob

On top of the engine. directly over the exhaust cam. towards the back and behind the CCV.

Thank You, Flash

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

steeler8643 wrote:
flash7210 wrote:
steeler8643 wrote:

Thanks Bob

Thank You, Flash

Bob

I checked the wiring on the CPS and it looks OK but as I was unplugging it I felt the whole thing wiggle. I reached in to check the screw with my hand and it was finger tight!! So I tightened it up and cleared the codes with my reader......now I will wait and see if it comes back. The Engine seems to start Quicker now but maybe it is my imagination.

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

steeler8643 wrote:
flash7210 wrote:
steeler8643 wrote:

Thanks Bob

Thank You, Flash

Bob

Hi Flash,

Would it be possible for the Cam position sensor to get dirty like the MAP sensor does and just need to be cleaned? The reason I ask is because when I bought the Jeep it hand been running with the MAF plugged in. Also since it was plugged in, I wonder if it had been tuned by GDE? Is there a way to find out if GDE had reprogrammed it?

Thanks
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:24 pm 
LOST Addict

steeler8643 wrote:

Hi Flash,

Would it be possible for the Cam position sensor to get dirty like the MAP sensor does and just need to be cleaned? The reason I ask is because when I bought the Jeep it hand been running with the MAF plugged in. Also since it was plugged in, I wonder if it had been tuned by GDE? Is there a way to find out if GDE had reprogrammed it?

Thanks
Bob

Essentially, the cam sensor is a magnet that senses changes in magnetic field every time the iron tab on the cam passes by it.
So I suppose that an accumulation of wear particles (iron) on the sensor could mess that up. You would have to remove the sensor to find out.

Easy test for GDE tune.
Start up the engine and if the rpms flare up above 1000 rpm, you have the GDE tune.
Or contact GDE and give them your VIN. They will let you know.
Also, I'm pretty sure that with GDE a disconnected MAF will not throw a code.

edit:
You can also try wiggling the connector on the cam sensor while the engine is running at idle. If the engine sputters, stumbles, or dies then the problem is the connector.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

flash7210 wrote:
steeler8643 wrote:

Hi Flash,

Thanks
Bob

Essentially, the cam sensor is a magnet that senses changes in magnetic field every time the iron tab on the cam passes by it.
So I suppose that an accumulation of wear particles (iron) on the sensor could mess that up. You would have to remove the sensor to find out.

Easy test for GDE tune.
Start up the engine and if the rpms flare up above 1000 rpm, you have the GDE tune.
Or contact GDE and give them your VIN. They will let you know.
Also, I'm pretty sure that with GDE a disconnected MAF will not throw a code.

edit:
You can also try wiggling the connector on the cam sensor while the engine is running at idle. If the engine sputters, stumbles, or dies then the problem is the connector.

Thanks Flash....Ive been locked out of the forum for about 24 hours for some reason. I took the sensor out and cleaned it.....all there was was oil on it.....i put it back and got it in there nice and tight.....I will try wiggling the connection after work today....so far no p0340 code.

Bob

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next