It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crankshaft Position Sensor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:35 pm 

There seems to be a lot of failures or suspected failures of Crankshaft Position Sensors on our Jeep CRD's in the recent past.
So, I thought I would start a thread for everyone to list their failures so all on here could learn from it and know what to expect when it might happen to them!
Please post your symptoms and / or details if you have had a failure of the Crankshaft Position Sensor so all can learn from your experience.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Position Sensor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:39 pm 

I got hit with one (a failure) this past weekend totally out of left field with no forewarning at all till it died and left me on the side of the road wondering what the heck happened!
This is my story, luckily it has a happy ending.
Was driving home from work and CRD put me on the side of the road for a small spell. (*Very first time*) Going down the road ~40 mph and motor just died completely, no warnings at all. Coasted over to the side of the road, stopped, cycled key off to on several times and then tried to restart with no luck. I had NO DTC's (no check engine light)! Fuel pressure was holding ~14 psig (I have a gauge) so I got out, opened the hood and tried to pump up fuel head, it was already tight and very hard. Fuel pressure was not the issue! I tried cycling the key to off and back to start several more times to see if it would make it start, no luck. Luckily I had my trusty code reader with me, so I plugged it in and it showed NO DTC’s set???? What the heck is going on here??? So, I told it to reset codes anyway just for the heck of it and walaa, then tried to start it and it cranked right up!!!! Drove it home and it ran like always…

On the way to work early the next morning when it was about half way through the warm up cycle to normal, it skipped a couple of times real quick (kinda bucked or hiccuped like) but did not stop running. FINELY IT SET A DTC on the second hiccup!!! a P0339
Drove it on to work and it never missed another lick.. Of course, when I got to work, I looked up the P0399 DTC on line.

“P0339 - Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit Intermittent”

So I looked up a crankshaft sensor at AutoZone and they listed one for the CRD Jeep, I called my local AutoZone and gave them the part number and they informed me they would have to order it from who knows where and it would take several days to get it and I told them forget it… :roll:
I then called NAPA and he told me he could have one here by 2 pm of the same day, so I ordered it.
Got it and it was made in Germany, hopefully a quality OEM product?

Changed out the sensor the next day! Not a real bad job from underneath, just had to remove the big skid plate under the transmission and transfer case to get at it. 10mm socket to remove heat shied and CPS bracket & a 5mm allen to remove the sensor. It popped right out after I twisted it around a little bit and then pulled on it... :D
Runs like a sewing maching now and hopefully this saga is behind me??? :-)r

Just very glad it happened while I was close to home and not on some road trip!!!!!!!! :BANANA: :pepper:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

Last edited by WWDiesel on Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:56 am 
LOST Newbie

I had the P0335 dtc set but haven't had any symptoms or issues. I reset the code and it hasn't come back yet, it's been about a month.

Not exactly sure what the difference is between P0335 & P0339.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:12 am 

zak21 wrote:

Yes, I have the same question!!!! :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:11 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I noticed my LTD cold while backing out of garage, has been surging in rpms for no reason at all? Could it be the CPS?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:57 am 
LOST Addict

flman wrote:
I noticed my LTD cold while backing out of garage, has been surging in rpms for no reason at all? Could it be the CPS?

Is it the "normal" Crd idle after gde tune? Mind does it, but only till engine warms up a bit and only when idling, as soon as I move, it sounds "even", no rpm fluctuations.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

thermorex wrote:
flman wrote:

Is it the "normal" Crd idle after gde tune? Mind does it, but only till engine warms up a bit and only when idling, as soon as I move, it sounds "even", no rpm fluctuations.

It is just normal cold weather, I let it idle till it smoothed out, when I put it in gear, no problems.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:07 pm 
LOST Member

My account is here from about 2 months ago: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=80408.

I had these two codes, but only sometimes: P0725, P0335. Clearing codes, even when there was no DTC usually allowed me to start the car. But toward the end it was bad enough that it took many tries. That's when it was time to change it. Car never stalled while driving, only had several annoying no starts. So far replacing the sensor solved that issue. My BWD branded sensor came with the same Bosch part in the box that was already in the Jeep.

Tow Package | Engine/Tranny/TC Skids | Fumoto F102S | Roof Rack | USA Spec PA-11CHR | EVIC | auto dimming mirror | Yoko Geolander A/T-S LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

zak21 wrote:
I had the P0335 dtc set but haven't had any symptoms or issues. I reset the code and it hasn't come back yet, it's been about a month.

0335 means signal is there, but sometimes incorrect, or completely missing
0339 means signal comes and goes, is always incorrect, or completely missing

Either one hints that CPS needs replacement

At 9-10yrs old, I s'pect they all do - and the Rail Pressure Solenoid and Rail Pressure Sensor and Camshaft Position Sensor and MAP sensor, along with the timing belt\water pump, etc

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:22 pm 
LOST Member

I posted more indepth info on a previous thread, but here's the short and sweet version.

Jeep was fine until one evening I tried to start after about a 2 hour break. Jeep would turn over but not fire, no codes, and I wasn't sure if it was electrical or fuel related. After calling for a tow, I disconnected battery and switched relays and it started right up.

Several weeks later it started doing it more often, generally when the engine was hot, no problems after the engine started running. Same symptoms every time, would crank just fine, but refuse to fire at all.

I installed intank lift pump and the problems continued, so I was pretty sure it was CPS.

After replacing it the Jeep has been 100% reliable.

#1 2006 Silver CRD Limited, flipped spare tire, ASFIR skids, GDE TCM & Ecotune, blue SAMCOs, 5V glow plugs, Rotella T6, intank fuel pump, Gen2 fuel head, new crank sensor, JBA 2.5 in silver package, Provent and ARB bumper
#2 2006 Metallic Green Limited; currently DOA
#3 2005 Silver project; currently not running...don't judge me

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:58 pm 

Got around to testing the old OEM CPS this evening. Connected an OHM meter to the outer 2 prongs, there are 3, and then ran hot water over the old sensor. The OHMS started out very steady and then they dropped completely to an open circuit for about 2 seconds during the heat up, and then the OHM reading came back. :roll:

No doubt in my mind, the CPS was bad... Have driven the Jeep for three days now without any hiccups or dying as before... :D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:11 am 
LOST Newbie

gmctd wrote:
zak21 wrote:

0335 means signal is there, but sometimes incorrect, or completely missing
0339 means signal comes and goes, is always incorrect, or completely missing

Either one hints that CPS needs replacement

At 9-10yrs old, I s'pect they all do - and the Rail Pressure Solenoid and Rail Pressure Sensor and Camshaft Position Sensor and MAP sensor, along with the timing belt\water pump, etc

Thanks, that makes sense. I will look into getting one sooner now than later.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:57 am 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
Got around to testing the old OEM CPS this evening. Connected an OHM meter to the outer 2 prongs, there are 3, and then ran hot water over the old sensor. The OHMS started out very steady and then they dropped completely to an open circuit for about 2 seconds during the heat up, and then the OHM reading came back. :roll:

No doubt in my mind, the CPS was bad... Have driven the Jeep for three days now without any hiccups or dying as before... :D

That's some weird symptom... Usually they go crazy over a specific temperature and stay that way, yours seems it only has a small interval where is not working... You got me thinking, I'll replace mine, and keep old as spare, need to recover some tools from the front engine skid anyways, lol.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:47 am 
LOST Member

If I remember correctly, the CKP on our Liberty's is a 2 wire permanent magnet A/C sensor. If so, can you get us a idle and cranking A/C voltage using a multimeter in A/C mode? (Make sure to advise us if it is an RMS or AVG reading).

2 wire permanent magnet sensors degrade over time and a possible maintenance test would be to check voltage. Once we determine typical new values and failed values (no starts). We can come up with a value that would warrant replacement before being stranded.

Thanks

TB / WP / SAMCO Hoses - Dec '14 (93,000 miles)
Redline Synthetics (Frt/Rear Differentials) - Dec '14 (93,000 miles)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:51 pm 

ArmyChief wrote:
If I remember correctly, the CKP on our Liberty's is a 2 wire permanent magnet A/C sensor. If so, can you get us a idle and cranking A/C voltage using a multimeter in A/C mode? (Make sure to advise us if it is an RMS or AVG reading).

2 wire permanent magnet sensors degrade over time and a possible maintenance test would be to check voltage. Once we determine typical new values and failed values (no starts). We can come up with a value that would warrant replacement before being stranded.

Thanks

Great idea, I will remeasure mine and post values. Just curious, it has three connectors, if it is a 2 wire sensor, what is the third connector for?
It definitely is a magnet; when I had it laying on the bench, it was attracting & picking up some metal nuts close to it... :lol:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:01 pm 
LOST Member

If it's a three wire, then probably a Hall effect. If that's he case...we are hosed. Just replace when necessary :(

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:25 pm 

gmctd wrote:
At 9-10yrs old, I s'pect they all do - and the Rail Pressure Solenoid and Rail Pressure Sensor and Camshaft Position Sensor and MAP sensor, along with the timing belt\water pump, etc[/color]

That is not a bad suggestion at all. I think I will go ahead and order the Camshaft Position Sensor...

These are the part numbers for each item:
Crankshaft Position Sensor -- 5066882AA / NAPA-ECH CSS1266 (made in Germany part) / Autozone-SU8492
Rail Pressure Solenoid -- 05159964AA (You don't want to have buy this baby, $500+ OUCH!) :shock:
Rail Pressure Sensor -- 68020556AA, 05159963AA / Bosch 0281002534 / Autozone-SU8546
--- Bosch Fuel Injection Pressure Sensor 0281002921 (New number)
--- Replaces these numbers: 0281002534 ,0281002719 ,0281002796 ,0281002652 ,0281002801
--- Cummins 3949988 = Bosch #0281002534
--- AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 5S7054 {#5159963AA, SU8546}
--- STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # FPS16

Camshaft Position Sensor -- 5140332AA / NAPA-ECH CSS1144 / Autozone-SU8538

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:58 pm 
LOST Addict

Doesn't the rail pressure solenoid come with the rail?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:04 pm 
LOST Member

Personally I'm not buying sensors. Some of the replacements are not as high a quality as original...plus, unless I can ascertain a failure is eminent, then I'll wait

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:08 pm 
LOST Addict

I bought mine oem for spare, to have them, I didn't know Napa has them when I got mine. For the Cherokee, where you find parts at every parts store, I'm not that desperate to have them stocked.