It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Position Sensor
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:11 pm 

One of the several oddities of the Jeep CRD; the crank position sensor can crap out and never trip a DTC. :shock:
Strange indeed...especially if your setting on the side of the road wondering what the heck is wrong with this thing. :banghead:
Been there, done that as have many! :furious:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:27 am 
LOST Newbie

06 CRD 137,*** miles. Mine started acting up a few weeks ago with going into limp mode under aggressive acceleration. I could pull over, shut the key off and start it back up and everything would return to normal. Then I went for a drive up over our mountains. A bit of a steep grade in places where it began having TC shudder quite bad. I had to disengage OD for it to stop the shuddering. It began doing it more frequently over a couple weeks time driving in town. Any time I'd accelerate over 3000 rpm = limp mode, and TC shudder. I changed fuel filter, and MAP sensor thinking maybe that was the cause, but no good. I drove back up over the mountain where the engine would die completely, instead of just limp mode. It would take 4 or 5 tries to restart the engine, and run as usual again and again. After reading several threads and several forums, I decided to check my turbo and hoses. I found nothing wrong there, except very minimal play in the turbo itself. Slight play side to side movement in the bearings, like about a 1/16th inch of play. The actuator looked as though it was functioning properly. No tears in any hoses, or anything else out of the ordinary. I decided to try the Crank position sensor. What a PITA that was! Changed it from underneath.

Ran it hard around town for a bit afterwards, and seems ok for now. Will repost it there are any updates when I get a chance for a mountain adventure again. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:13 am 

The crank position sensor will most likely fix most of your symptoms; but it won't fix that torque converter shudder. That's a whole other subject with plenty of reading about on this forum. Just do a search! :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:43 am 
LOST Newbie

Never shuddered before this happened. I was hoping maybe it would fix that problem too. I hate to think about buying a new torque converter, and the cost of getting it installed. I'm taking a ride over the mountain later today. That will tell me what's what. I would think that with it being in limp mode, it would affect the shifting and the torque converter. Having minimal power going to the TC would cause shudder in a higher gear than it should be in. IDK? I'll see soon enough. My wallet is getting very thin having this Jeep.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:46 pm 

Shuttered wrote:
My wallet is getting very thin having this Jeep.

These are not cheap vehicles to own or maintain! They require quite a few mods to get them in good enough shape for longevity and then require periodic maintenance ever so often that is not cheap either. Most who own them and maintain them do their own wrenching and repairs or upgrades so the parts are the only thing they have to purchase. Even then, the parts can get quite expensive over time. It can be a love / hate relationship! Certainly not a vehicle for the average driver.... :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Actually a bad crank position sensor may set some fault codes but it won't trigger a CEL. Possible fault codes are P033#. When the sensor went out on my son's 06 (would just flat turn off the engine whenever he slowed from highway speed like for an off ramp but would restart after 10-15 minutes cool down which made a drive from eastern Colo back to Kearney, NE interesting) the shop that put in the new sensor said they read and cleared the codes. They also said a bad crank sensor is not an uncommon failure on many modern vehicles and none of them trip a CEL so this is not a CRD issue.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
Shuttered wrote:

These are not cheap vehicles to own or maintain! They require quite a few mods to get them in good enough shape for longevity and then require periodic maintenance ever so often that is not cheap either. Most who own them and maintain them do their own wrenching and repairs or upgrades so the parts are the only thing they have to purchase. Even then, the parts can get quite expensive over time. It can be a love / hate relationship! Certainly not a vehicle for the average driver.... :roll:

Yeah. I don't mind wrenching, and have done quite a bit of it over the years. I just got this Jeep about four months ago, and have done a few things to it like: Lower control arms, ball joints, tie rods, struts, timing belt, water pump, tensioner pulley, idlers, serpentine belt, glow plugs, air filter, oil change, fuel filter, electric inline pump, thermostat, Map sensor and finally the crank sensor. It's my daily driver to and from work, and where ever else. I have a driveway to work on it. Not exactly an ideal setup for transmission work. I am only capable of doing so much myself, and the transmission is something I don't see happening over the weekend.

Anyhow, back to the topic of the CPS. I took a spin over the mountain, and it seems to have fixed the issues of limp mode and the stalling out. The TC however is as it was. Shuddering like driving on rumble strips. One more problem fixed, and another still to look into. Oh, and never threw a CEL for the CPS which seems to be the norm.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:06 pm 

Shuttered wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:
Shuttered wrote:

Yeah. I don't mind wrenching, and have done quite a bit of it over the years. I just got this Jeep about four months ago, and have done a few things to it like: Lower control arms, ball joints, tie rods, struts, timing belt, water pump, tensioner pulley, idlers, serpentine belt, glow plugs, air filter, oil change, fuel filter, electric inline pump, thermostat, Map sensor and finally the crank sensor. It's my daily driver to and from work, and where ever else. I have a driveway to work on it. Not exactly an ideal setup for transmission work. I am only capable of doing so much myself, and the transmission is something I don't see happening over the weekend.

Anyhow, back to the topic of the CPS. I took a spin over the mountain, and it seems to have fixed the issues of limp mode and the stalling out. The TC however is as it was. Shuddering like driving on rumble strips. One more problem fixed, and another still to look into. Oh, and never threw a CEL for the CPS which seems to be the norm.

If you plan on upgrading and replacing the torque converter with a much better one, be sure to plan no replacing the front pump assembly as well while you got the transmission out and apart.
Most also install a TransGo kit too while things are apart....a very worthwhile addition!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:12 am 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
When I purchased my Crankshaft Position Sensor from NAPA last weekend, l I was pleasantly surprised to find in the NAPA box contained a sealed in a bag Bosch part with the correct Bosch part number which matched the OEM part that I removed....
:-)r

Hi,

My wife has a Nitro CRD (Liberty based) which has started the no start shenanigans. Based on experience with other diesels I suspected a dud CPS as the cause. Reading this thread has deepened my suspicion.

I know the post I quoted above is four years old so bit of a long shot here. Did you happen to note the Bosch part number for the CPS when you swapped it? I'm trying to source a replacement.

TIA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:10 am 

Nitrogenous wrote:
Hi,
My wife has a Nitro CRD (Liberty based) which has started the no start shenanigans. Based on experience with other diesels I suspected a dud CPS as the cause. Reading this thread has deepened my suspicion.
I know the post I quoted above is four years old so bit of a long shot here. Did you happen to note the Bosch part number for the CPS when you swapped it? I'm trying to source a replacement.
TIA

Is it a "diesel"?
If so these are the part numbers I have on file for the Jeep 2.8 CRD engine:
crankshaft position sensor -
OEM Mopar PN 5066882AA
Bosch PN 0281002434
Autozone PN SU8492
NAPA PN ECH CSS1266

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

Holy thread resurrection batman!

MY 05 CRD started out by stalling like you would by coming to a stop without using the clutch on a manual trans vehicle... Then, it started to run real rough coming to a stop... I just added a little throttle and all was good.

Go forward a couple of weeks and it felt like it was idling on two cylinders sometimes while stopped.

Also, a few times, it would chug away trying takeoff from a stop and belch black smoke. I just let off the gas an reapplied and it was fine.

So, I finally changed out the CPS and it appears all of these problems are gone and back to a normal CRD idle and stop..

Almost 189,000 miles and no OBD Codes were present..

Las Vegas, NV

2005 CRD Limited just purchased. 189,000 miles...
GDE Full Torque tune
Sasquatch: Provent, Stage 2 delete.
Bosch 5 volt steel Glow Plugs
GDE Full Torque tune
GDE TCM tune
Sasquatch Upgraded turbo

Former CRD.
2006 Libby CRD Sport
GDE Green tune
OME Springs all four corners, Rancho shocks and struts.
Revo 245/75/16's

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:38 pm 

Billua wrote:
Holy thread resurrection batman!
MY 05 CRD started out by stalling like you would by coming to a stop without using the clutch on a manual trans vehicle... Then, it started to run real rough coming to a stop... I just added a little throttle and all was good.
Go forward a couple of weeks and it felt like it was idling on two cylinders sometimes while stopped.
Also, a few times, it would chug away trying takeoff from a stop and belch black smoke. I just let off the gas an reapplied and it was fine.
So, I finally changed out the CPS and it appears all of these problems are gone and back to a normal CRD idle and stop..
Almost 189,000 miles and no OBD Codes were present..

Well that was an easy fix! :BANANA:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

Haha! I wouldnt say easy.. But, it went much better when I finally figured out that the stock bolt on the sensor was a TORX. :-)r :-)r

Las Vegas, NV

GDE Full Torque tune
GDE Full Torque tune
GDE TCM tune
Sasquatch Upgraded turbo

Former CRD.
2006 Libby CRD Sport
GDE Green tune
Revo 245/75/16's

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:40 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Billua wrote:
Haha! I wouldnt say easy.. But, it went much better when I finally figured out that the stock bolt on the sensor was a TORX. :-)r :-)r

Glad you got it solved! Although... That bolt should have been a hex socket 5mm, not a torx? Weird that the new cover would have the wrong bolt.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

Jim , it was actually the “oem” bolt that was on the faulty cps. The new one had the correct hex head bolt.

Cheers

Las Vegas, NV

GDE Full Torque tune
GDE Full Torque tune
GDE TCM tune
Sasquatch Upgraded turbo

Former CRD.
2006 Libby CRD Sport
GDE Green tune
Revo 245/75/16's

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:54 am 
LOST Newbie

My 5c. Great advises, Couldn't start my CRD couple of times and the Torque shows grayed #0335. This is how I found this topic. Kind of tough for replace the sensot but I did. Napa has no more Bosch sensor only cheap s..t from China for $95 which you can buy for $9.99 from AliExpress. I got my from Amazon for $52- Holstein and ordered another for 9.99 from Ali for later as spare one

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:17 am 

ChrisNow wrote:
My 5c. Great advises, Couldn't start my CRD couple of times and the Torque shows grayed #0335. This is how I found this topic. Kind of tough for replace the sensot but I did. Napa has no more Bosch sensor only cheap s..t from China for $95 which you can buy for $9.99 from AliExpress. I got my from Amazon for $52- Holstein and ordered another for 9.99 from Ali for later as spare one

Autozone has the repackaged OEM Bosch CPS in their Duralast line.
Duralast Crankshaft Position Sensor SU8492

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

Not certain this is a CPS issue, but so far everything points to it. My 06 will run like a champ for months, and then one day decide not to start. Never a code, and after a couple days of me looking on here for answers and just banging my head against the wall, I'll go mess around with it, try to start it and BAM, starts right up and runs for weeks.

No Red light, no code, no CEL, no indication of anything.

I've just Added the fuel pump and wire harness to correct any air issues. It's always taken one or two extra cranks for it to start, but nothing more than a extra second or two. This has happened 4-5 times. Usually the winter, where I think it's the Fuel Gelling, change the filter, wait a day or two and it runs just fine. This time, after the fuel pump change, ran super. One day go to drive it and no start. Cranks just fine, just no start.

Ordered the Standard Brand CPS on IDParts, so waiting for that, but went to start it today, and starts right up. No weird surging, noises, drives and runs like it should... just driving me insane. I hate that I can't say it's 100% reliable, because I don't know when it'll happen again.

Why would a CPS act this way, and what else could it be, if anything?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6