It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Motor dead at 170k
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

So ive spent almost 2k trying to diagnose the problem with my jeep. Turns out the rockers gave out destroyed the intake cam. Mechanic quoted me about 60 hours lf work @$100 + about 3k worth of parts. So after deciding to scrap the car several times I decided to do the work myself. So right now I am looking for a storage space I can take it to and work on it.

Basically I have never done a job like this. Ive changed a lot of stuff on cars before but never anything related to engine internals. However I am thinking of attempting the rebuild myself.

Any input would be very welcome.

Post subject: Re: Motor dead at 170k
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

What is your physical location? Have you PMd or emailed geordi.

The mechanic is quoting you 60 hrs for a job that can be done in substantially less time. geordi reports book time to do rockers is 12 hrs and he can do it it 8hrs; adding replacing a cam shouldn't be more than say 2hrs I wouldn't think. So call it 14-15hrs maximum. Mechanic is quoting you $3,000 in parts which would be on the high end of list price+ at best. Actual price for parts from idparts is more like $399 for timing belt kit; $370 for full set of rockers/lifters; $250 for intake cam and $6.50 for seal for a total of $1,025.50 or an additional $360 to add ARP studs which would be good to do if you are that far into the engine.

The only added work beyond what's involved in a timing belt job that includes water pump replacement is to a) pull the intake cover which contains the cams; b) remove/replace the bad cam; c) remove/replace rockers/lifters; and d) reinstall intake cover.

Of course you need the appropriate tools associated with doing the timing belt (cam/flywheel pins and cam sprocket holder tool of some sort) but weeks101 rents that stuff.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If it did not damage pistons it should not be that big of a deal, even if it did, 60 hrs? Does he take a lot of breaks, like 75% of the time?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

I haven't been able to find the cams cheaper then $600 myself, also I had the water pump and timing belt done at the dealer ... in April of this year. Part of what he was saying is that he had to send the head to be rebuilt for some reason I cannot think of right now. Other thing I recall him saying is that the EGR is not working ... altho that cant add that much more on parts.

I assume (since ive never done it before) removing the engine would be a time consuming job. My own calculation still brought me closer to 5k using my own labour and including all tools necessary. Priced a garage nearby to store and work on it at about 300$ / month .. for about 4 monhts + the 3k of parts + tools = about 5k.

If I do the job myself I am planning on replacing a few other things while im there. A like to would be the injectors, glow plugs, turbo(this is abiggie), turbo hoses.

Just checked the idparts site and im quite happy about it, unfortunately it doesn't show stock levels.

Any help with tools needed would be really appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:27 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
60 hours for that job? Can I work at his rates?
I think even if I was doing the job blindfolded and with one hand tied behind my back, I *still* couldn't make it take that long.

Where are you located? We can talk about options over PM, but even if it has to be outdoors in the winter, I have a blast heater that would make things more comfortable and it STILL wouldn't be more than a 2-day job.

Rocker failure is quite common. Belt failure that kills the rockers is also common, as the rockers are the designed failure point for the engine. Piston damage or valve damage is highly uncommon, but it doesn't sound like that is your problem if the rockers just scored up the cams - and even then, the cams are pretty tough.

I'm reasonably confident I can get your engine running again for a LOT less than you think, and certainly more than you would get for scrapping it. If you have resigned yourself to getting out of the truck, that can be discussed too.

The turbo DOES NOT need to be replaced in most cases, leave it alone and save the money. If the turbo was actually bad, the vehicle would be undriveable. You do not need to remove the engine to do anything on the top end of it, nor do you need to remove the radiator / intercooler / AC / grille or anything else.

PLEASE lets have a talk, I think you may be getting some phenomenally bad advice from someone that has no idea what they are doing. Just because the timing was done by a dealership, does NOT mean that it was ever done correctly. I have seen plenty that weren't.

--Jim

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:58 pm 
LOST Member

Get in touch with geordi dude.

In action on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oCq4Xa1lH4

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:16 pm 
LOST Junkie

X2 on geordi. He will get that thing going for much less than you think and also in a weekend

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

X3 Geordi.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:15 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
You lot are making me blush, thanks for the support! :5SHOTS:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:23 pm 

geordi is the Xpert, he has done more CRD's and has more knowledge about them that anyone else in the US.
Contact him and heed his guidance... :wink:
the man knows his stuff!!!! :SOMBRERO:
Run like a scalded dog from that 60 hour dude!!!! He is trying to milk you.... :twisted:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:55 am 
LOST Member

The camshafts are very easy to replace once the intake is off.

Remove the oil seal,
Remove snap ring
Remove rear plug,
Remove camshaft.

The most difficult part is getting the oil seal out.
This will help: http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-58430-Shaft ... B000FPYW4K

I would imagine it would only add 30 minutes of work for someone skilled like geordi.

Cummins Lift Pump
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
DIY Rebuilt Tranny Pump
Suncoast Torque Converter
2nd Generation Fuel Head
Sears P1 Battery
Hot Diesel Solutions Thermostat