It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Exhaust leak from and injector???
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:50 am 
LOST Newbie

So here is a new one for you. At least I have never seen it on here before. I have very good reason to believe I have an exhaust leak out of the number 4 injector. Here is why. I have noticed a slight exhaust smell in the cab lately. Toward the end of the summer I started to hear what sounded like an exhaust leak under the hood somewhere, only under heavy load or up a hill. Kind of a ticking exhaust sound. Well I have been looking all around for it as it has gotten progressively worse and more frequent. I have the GDE tune and the weeks kit. I checked the pipe going from the exhaust manifold to the egr thinking that had to be it and it is fine. So this morning I started to look because it was so loud. There was black carbon all around the top of injector 4 and everything close to it. When I put my hand over the top of it I could feel the air/exhaust coming out. Not very hot but something was blowing out for sure. All signs point to this and I can't find anything else. I am assuming with direct injection when the motor is on the compression stroke the fuel is being delivered and when it is on the exhaust stroke the injector is off and then allowing the exhaust or some of it to be pushed through the top/side of the injector??? The leak feels like it is on the side of the injector body. Not where it meets the intake or the top but the side where the injector itself seems to be two piece. This is a little odd to me not knowing a lot about direct injection but also seems completely plausible.. Also when I push down hard on the top of the injector the sound/leak lessens...
Any feed back/help would be greatly appreciated. Also, anyone have a used injector for sale??

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Exhaust leak from and injector???
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The most common place for an injector leak is around the base and can be fixed by removing the injector; cleaning things up; and reinstalling the injector with a new "O" ring and copper crush washer taking care to make sure the $0.10 size metal "shoe" that the crows foot rests on remains in place.

That said based on looking at injector images I suppose it is possible for "backflow" to occur if some of the internal injector seals are not sealing properly.

On a cold engine you might consider the propane gas tank soapy water leak check trick to see exactly where the leak is located.

If the leak is in the body of the injector then a local Bosch certified shop might be able to rebuild at a reasonable price or perhaps you could score one via something like http://car-part.com/

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:32 pm 

Is the hold down bolt/crowfoot clamp tight?
There is a copper sealing washer on the bottom of the injector that makes a seal between the injector and the head.
I would replace it immediately and hope the leak has not done some damage to the aluminum head.... :roll:

05072722AA ; 05069110AA
GASKET, O RING, SEAL. Lower, Upper. Fuel Injector. . Bottom, Copper Washer Seal.
http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/products/JEEP/2005/LIBERTY4x4--28L-4-Cyl-Turbo-Diesel--5-Spd-Automatic-5-45RFEEDITION-Limited/GASKET--O-RING--SEAL-Lower--Upper-Fuel-Injector-Bottom--Copper-Washer-Seal/4459075/05072722AA.html

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The injector is clamped into the head - see if the clamp bolt is loose

Or, possibly someone loosened the hi-pressure fuel pipe nut without holding the injector, unscrewing the two halves of the injector
Compare the position of that fuel pipe to the other three

CAUTION: feul pressure can be ~1500psi with engine off - use cover rag to stop spray

You can try this, but will need replacement injector even if this stops combustion pressure pass-thru

Hold the injector body with a wrench on the flats to prevent further turning to prevent cracking the hi-pressure fuel pipe, loosen the fuel pipe nut about 1/4-turn, tighten the injector body, tighten the fuel pipe nut

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thank you! All good feedback as usual. I replaced the seals and crush washer when I did the head gasket a year or so ago. I'm going to clean up the area really good and see if I can pin point it. I have a spare set of injector seals and crush washer assembly so I will pull it and replace, if that is the issue. If it is in fact leaking from the seal area I know already it is going to be a bear to get out. When I did the head gasket three injectors came out with a little tug by hand, one of them had some carbon built up and it was ridiculous to get out. The tool didn't even work.. Just about an hour of messing with it working back and forth and pb blaster. HMMM now i am thinking.. Could that be the injector I made a little weak by doing so... I'll pull it tonight and see what I come up with. Report back after doing so.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Spray it down with some bubble soap, that will help pin point it fast. I sounds like you think the injector is physically damaged?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

I thought the injector was physically bad. Turns out it wasn't. I cleaned it up, pulled the injector out, replaced the seals and crush washer, installed injector. Tightened it up good and fired it up. All is good, sounds great, runs great. While I was at it I replaced the intake hose from air box to turbo, (split) and the filter for the turbo actuator.

Thanks again for the feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm 

Very glad all turned out well for you, it could have been much worse, like a injector problem or a damaged head due to the leak by...you were lucky this time!!!!
:BANANA:
Get the oil out of the intake hose with a ProVent filter and you will not have a problem with the intake boot again... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks. You're right I was lucky, it could have been a lot worse.

I am still on the fence about the provent. I had a homemade unit on there for a while but took it off. With the egr delete and the weeks kit I don't think a little oil in the intake is much to worry about. May even help keep it clean. But who knows. I seem to remember that debate on here before...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:31 pm 

dthdcrd wrote:
I am still on the fence about the provent. I had a homemade unit on there for a while but took it off. With the egr delete and the weeks kit I don't think a little oil in the intake is much to worry about. May even help keep it clean. But who knows. I seem to remember that debate on here before...

Yes, lots of discussion on the subject with varied opinions. My concern was the buildup of oil over time in the intercooler (CAC) as I know this was the case with my own CAC when I pulled it and washed it out when I did the timing belt job… I installed a ProVent for this reason and after reading all the good information posted by some others on here requiring some negitive pressure on the CCV. :roll:

Everyone has to make their own choices as to what they feel is best for their vehicle… :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch