It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: turbo - exhaust seal?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:23 am 
LOST Newbie

I just replaced my turbo and now it sounds louder. Is there a seal that goes in the exhaust pipe that connects to the turbo?

170lbs English Mastiff loves whip cream on his treats (it is his jeep too)

Post subject: Re: turbo - exhaust seal?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

As I recall:
1. oil feed line - 2 copper crush washers at upper end and something like a ball joint (metal to metal) at block - shouldn't produce sound but would put oil everywhere.
2. oil return line - regular oil resistant gasket at top and a rubber push grommet at block - again no noise but less oil leakage (little/no pressure) than feed line.
3. turbo to exhaust manifold metal gasket - would produce sound at idle like a chuff chuff exhaust manifold leak
4. turbo to exhaust pipe is a marmon flange (metal to metal with "V" clamp) - might produce sound as in 3 above if slightly misaligned.
5. air box to turbo if torn on bottom or not seated at either end properly (upper end should touch MAF sensor to avoid crushing air box outlet when clamp tightend) can be noise.
6. ditto for turbo to CAC/intercooler hose.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:58 pm 
LOST Addict

I'm guessing #4.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

The parts lisT shows no gasket where the turbo oil drain line attaches to the bottom of The turbo with the two point floating flange. I just put That line on, with some difficulty because of the placement.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:44 am 
LOST Newbie

papaindigo wrote:
As I recall:
1. oil feed line - 2 copper crush washers at upper end and something like a ball joint (metal to metal) at block - shouldn't produce sound but would put oil everywhere.
2. oil return line - regular oil resistant gasket at top and a rubber push grommet at block - again no noise but less oil leakage (little/no pressure) than feed line.
3. turbo to exhaust manifold metal gasket - would produce sound at idle like a chuff chuff exhaust manifold leak
4. turbo to exhaust pipe is a marmon flange (metal to metal with "V" clamp) - might produce sound as in 3 above if slightly misaligned.
5. air box to turbo if torn on bottom or not seated at either end properly (upper end should touch MAF sensor to avoid crushing air box outlet when clamp tightend) can be noise.
6. ditto for turbo to CAC/intercooler hose.

I'm guessing # 4 as well. I'll take some time this weekend and check it out. Thanks all. I was wonder if there may have been a crush seal in the exhaust pipe where it connects to the turbo. I did see no seal that may have dropped. So I'll check the clamp. every thing else seems good. I used a new gasket between manifold and turbo, new nuts, new banjo bolt and washers, new return line gasket, flushed the feed line and return line to make sure they were not plugged up. But I'll check the air box and tube as well since I will take them off to check the exhaust clamp.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

Curious if u got a gasket for the turbo oil return line to the turbo itself. Not the rubber compression fitting to the block.
I did not see it on the parts list so I didn t get one after putting back on. O Mine is not leaking, I assumed it was a flanged compression fitting.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:21 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yes. See my post and http://idparts.com/catalog/product_info ... ts_id=3918

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

Diver1430 wrote:
Curious if u got a gasket for the turbo oil return line to the turbo itself. Not the rubber compression fitting to the block.
I did not see it on the parts list so I didn t get one after putting back on. O Mine is not leaking, I assumed it was a flanged compression fitting.

yep got a new one of those as well fully cleaned all mating surfaces :D