It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: new design thermostat using orignal parts
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

RJM wrote:
its not welded just a crimped compression seal.

So how did you manage to get it apart.... a special tool?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

RJM wrote:
Some better shots of a housing split apart without spacer as dirtmover mentioned. issues are a thermo that will work, and how to hold the two castings back together. Ideas???
http://s722.photobucket.com/user/userna ... t=3&page=1

Much better revealing pics - tnx

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:04 pm 
LOST Addict

racertracer wrote:
RJM wrote:
its not welded just a crimped compression seal.

So how did you manage to get it apart.... a special tool?

Sounds like a file, hack saw and some time

What I want to know is why would they make it two halves and go through all the trouble to seal it up and use some custom T-stat.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Could be a one-off upgrade for the turbo'ed version intended to be non-serviceable to prevent owners from replacing other than designed t-static temps, with resultant damage to the flimsy non-turbo head-gasket scheme

Those pics showed there will be some increased difficulty for conversion, but should be no hill for a stepper - dh100m did it with little more than a fingernail file and a butter knife

Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:42 pm 
LOST Member

gmctd wrote:
Could be a one-off upgrade for the turbo'ed version intended to be non-serviceable to prevent owners from replacing other than designed t-static temps, with resultant damage to the flimsy non-turbo head-gasket scheme

Those pics showed there will be some increased difficulty for conversion, but should be no hill for a stepper - dh100m did it with little more than a fingernail file and a butter knife

You will still need a lathe to machine the spacer, an accurate drill press to get the studs in straight and a thermostat that will fit into the upper barbed housing.

06 LIMITED 100000miles, MAGNAFLOW, HOMEBUILT CCV FILTER, POLAR PAD, 02 AIRBOX, CUMMINS LIFT PUMP, SEGR, PILLAR GAUGE POD, CAT FILTER MONITOR, SPYDER TRAX, ALWAYS A LITTLE TWO STROKE OIL OR BIO, WATER/METH INJECTION

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:50 pm 
LOST Member

Numbers on the oem thermo unit alone (not the housing) read 80 CF9 05B any thoughts????

06 LIMITED 100000miles, MAGNAFLOW, HOMEBUILT CCV FILTER, POLAR PAD, 02 AIRBOX, CUMMINS LIFT PUMP, SEGR, PILLAR GAUGE POD, CAT FILTER MONITOR, SPYDER TRAX, ALWAYS A LITTLE TWO STROKE OIL OR BIO, WATER/METH INJECTION

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

RJM wrote:
Numbers on the oem thermo unit alone (not the housing) read 80 CF9 05B any thoughts????

Could be 80*C for 176*F initial opening with CF9(*C) full open at 196*F

Ennyhoo, all ideas are welcome, but dh100m stated he would post further conversion information on Monday

Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:12 pm 
LOST Addict

RJM wrote:
gmctd wrote:

You will still need a lathe to machine the spacer, an accurate drill press to get the studs in straight and a thermostat that will fit into the upper barbed housing.

I also appears that you need a mill to machine off the arms which hold the OG Tstat. Or is this one of the things we are using the hack saw for.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:59 pm 
LOST Member

looks close
http://fautoparts.com/body-Thermostat-c ... auto-parts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:52 pm 
LOST Member

Oh my! does that fit?

RJM wrote:

JBA 4" lift, IRO Tri-link w/ wwdiesel bracket, JBA sliders, 235/85-16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Mercedes Benz forged ultralight wheels, Weeks stage 1 and 2, Weeks lift pump and harness, Weeks battery tray and AGM battery, GDE tune, Suncoast TC, updated front pump, HDS 001 T-stat, ARP studs, Front and rear Detroit/Eaton Truetrac LSD.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:49 am 
LOST Addict

mass-hole wrote:
Sounds like a file, hack saw and some time

There's a tool mark around the circumference of the crimp abut 4mm down from the top half. I cut into it with a junior hacksaw about 1.5mm deep and snapped it away with a flat screwdriver. A gentle tap with a rubber mallet and popped apart in two pieces. It's about 10 minutes work.

mass-hole wrote:
What I want to know is why would they make it two halves and go through all the trouble to seal it up and use some custom T-stat.

I suspect it costs a few dollars less to make it that way. Minimal material in the casting, less parts and less machining.

gmctd wrote:

Yeah, I think I see some JB weld in there also. I wonder how that will hold up longer term?

Last edited by dirtmover on Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:51 pm 
LOST Member

If a replacement thermostat could be found to match the OEM unit, the existing housing could be used with very little modification to keep the two castings together. I am thinking a small victaulic coupler would do the trick. Any leads on a thermostate with similar specs??

Last edited by RJM on Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:58 pm 
LOST Member

RJM wrote:
I am thinking a small victaulic coupler would do the trick. Any leads on one with similar specs??
I'm looking at my spare unit, and I don't see how this clamp would work without machining a bottom flange. I think studs to hold to top on would be more practical.

JBA 4" lift, IRO Tri-link w/ wwdiesel bracket, JBA sliders, 235/85-16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Mercedes Benz forged ultralight wheels, Weeks stage 1 and 2, Weeks lift pump and harness, Weeks battery tray and AGM battery, GDE tune, Suncoast TC, updated front pump, HDS 001 T-stat, ARP studs, Front and rear Detroit/Eaton Truetrac LSD.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:24 pm 
LOST Member

http://s722.photobucket.com/user/userna ... g.html?o=0

Looking at a side shot there is more than enough lip for a Victaulic or V band clamp to catch on.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:04 pm 
LOST Member

This one is very close just a tad too long
http://m.dayco.com.au/PartInfo.aspx?P=DT100A

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:30 pm 
LOST Member

RJM wrote:
http://s722.photobucket.com/user/username400/media/thermo003_zps8abb1be7.jpg.html?o=0

Looking at a side shot there is more than enough lip for a Victaulic or V band clamp to catch on.

I have one in my hand, and that sort of clamp can not go all the way around the bottom housing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:31 pm 
LOST Member

RJM wrote:
This one is very close just a tad too long
http://m.dayco.com.au/PartInfo.aspx?P=DT100A

Temperature is no good too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:39 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

RJM wrote:

Those part numbers look similar to other German Behr/Hella thermostat part numbers.

I looked through a few Behr/Hella web sites, but I couldn't locate it anywhere.

It's probably a Behr/Hella OEM specific unit with an over the shelf different number.

More investigative work would need to be done.

I would call Behr directly, but I can't speak German. Can anyone else look into it?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:33 pm 

These are the numbers I have on file:
Thermostat - 5142601AA OEM
VM Manuf. No. 49012026F
Behr No. C97780
ERA No. 350113

These are for the whole assembly!
Could find no listings anywhere for the 80 CF9 05B number.
Did find the Behr part in Germany for 62 Euro's. (~75$)
:P

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:46 pm 
LOST Member

Is the Stant 14039 the thermostat (195F) used by dh100m? Original application is: GM 6.2L and GM 6.5L from 1988 - 1996.

GDE FT ECO tune, GDE TCM ECO tune, ARP studs, HDS-001 203F T-Stat, 3.7L nylon fan & Hayden 2905 clutch, Carter P76148M in-tank pump, Racor 245R122 filter head & 2 micron R25S fuel filter, Provent 200, Samcos, Fumoto F-102, Litens 920834A de-coupler, PML rear diff cover, OEM trans pan with welded in bung, JBA UCAs, full skids.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next