It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ECO Jeep Mods
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:30 am 
LOST Member

Since I now have 2 Libertys (One gas, one diesel) I plan to modify my CRD in for fuel efficiency. The gasser will be used in winter months because ease of starting in the cold, and it will still have 4x4.

My hope is to get up to 35 mpg with this set up.

• No Transfer Case
o remove front diff and CV shafts (Complete)
o tail shaft from 02 2wd Liberty or other Dodge with 545 RFE trans
o "new" drive shaft from 02 2wd Liberty or custom made locally

• 3.55 gears
o add LSD (Detroit TrueTrac)

• Bypass viscous heater belt and plumbing
o reroute serpentine belt only for AC, alternator, and power steering - DONE

• Possibly add E-fan mounted to original shroud, No engine driven fan.
o Tie into existing e-fan control with relay, use 18 inch fan
o http://shop.perma-cool.com/19117-High-Perf-Electric-Fan-18-2950-CFM-19117.htm - No longer using this, will use a E fan out of a 3.7 Liberty, plug and play for electronics

• Weeks101 intake elbow - DONE
• GDE ECO tune - DONE
• EGT, boost, and oil pressure gauges - DONE
• In-tank lift pump - Done
• Turbo Diesel Freak T-stat - Purchased, not installed yet
• V6 Airbox - DONE
• Hemi truck TCU or GDE trans tune (I currently have a Hemi Truck TCU and one from a 01 Jeep GC to test out)- going to get a baseline with the stock CRD TCU.
• Mopar skid plates (should help airflow under jeep and added protection)
• Amsoil remote dual filter (full flow and bypass install where front diff was)
• Remove catalytic converter and exhaust muffler
• Stock suspension - DONE

• Low rolling resistance tires – Open to suggestions and other rim sizes too.

Optional Work
• LRA 30 gallon fuel tank (just because)
• Fuel tank skid and hitch for safety
• Move spare tire into trunk area
• Remove roof rails (Maybe)

I am very open to suggestions and changes, please feel free to let me know what other things can be done. I will update this post with changes that I will make.

Updated for progess.

Last edited by 65Corvair on Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Re: ECO Jeep Mods
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:48 am 
LOST Junkie

Good luck. Maybe some front end cosmetic mods. Tape all your body panel lines. Maybe ask on the tdi forum. Some of them guys get crazy with their ideas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:59 am 
LOST Member

65Corvair wrote:

• Possibly add E-fan mounted to original shroud, No engine driven fan.
o Tie into existing e-fan control with relay, use 18 inch fan
o http://shop.perma-cool.com/19117-High-Perf-Electric-Fan-18-2950-CFM-19117.htm

Optional Work
• RLA 30 gallon fuel tank (just because)
• Fuel tank skid and hitch for safety

Check out a 1996 Ford Thunderbird 4.6L fan. It is a two speed fan that moves an extreme amount of air. I have not yet tried one on the CRD radiator, but it fits my 1994 Grand Cherokee radiator like it was made for it. The Lincoln Mark VIII fan is similar. Some years are two speed, others are PWM controlled.

What is a RLA 30 gallon fuel tank? Does it bolt in place of the stock tank?

GDE FT ECO tune, GDE TCM ECO tune, ARP studs, HDS-001 203F T-Stat, 3.7L nylon fan & Hayden 2905 clutch, Carter P76148M in-tank pump, Racor 245R122 filter head & 2 micron R25S fuel filter, Provent 200, Samcos, Fumoto F-102, Litens 920834A de-coupler, PML rear diff cover, OEM trans pan with welded in bung, JBA UCAs, full skids.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:04 am 
LOST Member

I mis-typed it before, it is LRA tanks. It does bolt in to where the stock tank goes. Pictures can be found on the web.
http://www.longrangeautomotive.com.au/products/detail/10-jeep/flypage/205-cherokee-2005-2007-sport-kj-diesel.html?sef=hcfp

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:39 pm 
LOST Addict

The ffdynamics fan moves 3600 cfm, per their official website and costs less money, with lifetime guarantee, one caveat, you need to fill up a form within a week of purchase and mail it to them. You can just buy the fan from eBay. Whatever you get, make sure it fits as those 16 inch fans have pretty hefty motors.

The ford fan is a good mod for Cherokees with 4.0 but not very good for Crd, due to the extensive mods required to the shroud, plus it won't pull so much air like ffdynamics.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:58 pm 
LOST Addict

I've been running with the stock electric fan only (removed mechanical) for a couple years now.
I've had zero overheating.
And zero gain in MPG.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

Since re-gearing, and if not towing or caring about load, smallest/lightest wheel/tire combo.

Smooth flush wheel covers.

Extend front valance down as low as practical.

Put spot mirror on rear view and remove passenger side mirror

Custom rear wheel well covers

2006 GMC Sierra Duramax/Allison - the toy
RIP - 1995 Tahoe 6.5 TD
1990 JD 332, yep, the mower is a diesel too

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:46 am 
LOST Member

thermorex wrote:
The ffdynamics fan moves 3600 cfm, per their official website and costs less money, with lifetime guarantee, one caveat, you need to fill up a form within a week of purchase and mail it to them. You can just buy the fan from eBay. Whatever you get, make sure it fits as those 16 inch fans have pretty hefty motors.

The ford fan is a good mod for Cherokees with 4.0 but not very good for Crd, due to the extensive mods required to the shroud, plus it won't pull so much air like ffdynamics.

Don't confuse the Ford Taurus fan with the Ford Thunderbird fan or the Lincoln Mark VIII fan. The Thunderbird 4.6L and Mark VIII fans are much larger than the Taurus fan, won't fit the 4.0L Cherokee radiator and move well over 4000 CFM. A new 4-Seasons 4.6L Thunderbird fan can be purchased from Rockauto for <$100. Pay close attention to the blade design of the aftermarket fans. Some aftermarket fans have narrower blades than the OEM fan. From the pics on Rockauto, the 4-Seasons Thunderbird fan blades appear exactly like the OEM Ford fan I have on my 1994 ZJ.

GDE FT ECO tune, GDE TCM ECO tune, ARP studs, HDS-001 203F T-Stat, 3.7L nylon fan & Hayden 2905 clutch, Carter P76148M in-tank pump, Racor 245R122 filter head & 2 micron R25S fuel filter, Provent 200, Samcos, Fumoto F-102, Litens 920834A de-coupler, PML rear diff cover, OEM trans pan with welded in bung, JBA UCAs, full skids.

Last edited by 95Z28A4 on Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:03 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Get the TCM tune to keep the RPMs down, I am getting pretty close to 35 MPG with Michelin Latitude tour all season tires, Hot tune and ECM tune with highway and rural highway driving. Here is my best Evic reading, if you take 10% off I am still pretty close, and everything else is stock at the time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:44 am 
LOST Junkie

Your biggest drag is going to be the air going under the jeep. And tire psi is a big deal too, some hyper milers really pump them babies up. I think your going a bit overboard removing the roof rack and pass mirror. Your only doing 60-70mph, the gains are minimal, now if you were doing 100mph+ like in an airplane there might would be a difference.
I would be hesitant covering up the wheels, you'll cut the cooling airflow through your brake rotors. They pull high pressure air from under the jeep and wheel well area and vent it through the rim to the low pressure air going around the jeep. Here's my best: Image

05 Liberty Limited CRD, converted to KPA 2863 ball bearing and billet turbo, 50hp injectorsl, complete egr delete, cooling fan delete, weeks intake kit, cummins in tank lift pump, ARP studs, 3" turbo back exhaust, samcos, etecno plugs, GDE trans tune, custom GDE engine tune.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:06 pm 
LOST Addict

95Z28A4 wrote:
thermorex wrote:

Don't confuse the Ford Taurus fan with the Ford Thunderbird fan or the Lincoln Mark VIII fan. The Thunderbird 4.6L and Mark VIII fans are much larger than the Taurus fan, won't fit the 4.0L Cherokee radiator and move well over 4000 CFM. A new 4-Seasons 4.6L Thunderbird fan can be purchased from Rockauto for <$100. Pay close attention to the blade design of the aftermarket fans. Some aftermarket fans have narrower blades than the OEM fan. From the pics on Rockauto, the 4-Seasons Thunderbird fan blades appear exactly like the OEM Ford fan I have on my 1994 ZJ.

You're correct, my bad, I thought you said Taurus.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:46 pm 
LOST Addict

One of the best gains you'll get is from a grill block. I'm going to build one out of plexiglass, and have it easy to remove with something similar to hood pins. It will have the added bonus of stopping the overcooling diesels get in the winter. If I'm towing, or going to death valley, I'll be able to pull about 10 pins out real quick and put it in the cab. It will be flush with the front of the bumper, top of the grill, and I don't know what to do about the headlights yet, unless I can get "plexi-glass" that won't be problematic with passing light, or heat. :frankie:

also:
warm air intake, maybe with a big fat round filter like someone did a write up on
I also shaved a few pounds and made things much easier to work on by gutting all AC crap.

My goal is to average 30mpg with my LRR summer tires and my OME lift, and that's with a lot of off-roading (probably too optimistic?) Winter with mean snow tires will be a lot less, dangit

If you're going for mileage, I wouldn't put a DTT in the rear, because they pull to one side ie. they are causing more resistance. I have one in the front, and since we can't "unlock" our hubs, I wonder how much it is affecting my MPG :furious: I'm thinking about replacing it with an ARB mostly because that pulling isn't good on the icy roads I drive.
And, I wonder if the ARB I'm putting in the rear will have any more resistance, hmm

Most of the gains are tiny, like many always downplay, but it's the compound of 10 or so of these mods that start to really add up to some mpg's. :2cents:

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:16 pm 
LOST Addict

Mountain,

I have installed a DTT in the rear and did not notice any pulling to one side or the other after installation. Do you have an open diff in the rear? I also put one in my 7.3 Excursion and have not noticed any pulling. However, I could see how it might be more evident on the front.

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:34 pm 
LOST Addict

Hey Doc, yeah, it's open for now. I had read somewhere where other people reported that it pulls a bit when on the front. I read everything I could, but never found any published resistance figures. I could see it being awfully minimal in the rear since the axles are fixed, but the device does have enough difference in torsion to the two sides to feel in the front, unlike the typical spider gears. hmm, probably 1/10th of an mpg in the rear would be my guess, or less, but I'm no engineer. Definitely worth it if it helps you get out of a slick driveway.

So, you lock in the 4wd because it's wicked slick out, but then you get this tugging to one side. Not the best situation for driving very fast (anything over 25mph) on slick roads. I may keep mine, but run studded snow tires for insurance of breaking free.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:57 pm 
LOST Addict

So jealous of you guys that are able to get custom tunes from GDE.
I run tire pressure at 37-38psi for mpgs.
If possible, custom make your skid plates to make them extra aerodynamic.
ScanGauge2 is really helpful when driving. You may want to consider one.

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Gibson stainless steel exhaust
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
BFG All Terrrain 225/75/16
JBA upper control arms

Post subject: ECO Jeep Mods
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:33 pm 
LOST Addict

It can only pull to one side if you don't go straight, which is why most serious off-roaders use on demand lockers for front. I wouldn't put any locker though in this flimsy stock Crd front diff though, other than if this is for driving in very muddy or icy condition as the diff will break very easy due to weak aluminum case.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:07 am 
LOST Addict

Yeah, I need to get better at welding and do a SFA so I can unlock the hubs, as I don't want to spend $1500 + a lot of shipping $$ just to have a stronger IFS.

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:05 am 
LOST Member

Did some work on the jeep today. Removed upper and lower control arms, struts, sway bar, front diff, CV shafts and the front drive shaft.

The red upper and lower control arms will be going in to my 3.7L gasser. I have new regular upper control arms to install, and will swap out the lowers from my other jeep.

The front diff has a Detroit TruTrac in it, that will also go into my other jeep.

I played with some alternate belt routings to eliminate the viscous heater and the mechanical fan.

The standard electric fan from the 3.7L may make a easy, E-fan, it will not take much modification to make it work, and it should look very good too. The best part is that it will mount to the fan shroud mounts already on the radiator. I slipped it in today, to test fit it, this option is worth looking into more.

Tomorrow the rack and pinion comes out for replacement.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:34 am 
LOST Addict

Have you thought about which TC might give the best mileage? I'm going to try the Hemi, as I spend a lot of time with the TC unlocked on long slow mountain roads. I'm hoping the more aggressive vane angle will help significantly. I still need to get my grill block made.

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:37 am 
LOST Addict

Oh, and did you add a pulley on the mech fan mount, or relocate the tensioner? I tried a gates pulley first, and it caused the belts to split, quite strange. Then I relocated the tensioner, and all is good now. But, I removed the AC, so maybe you didn't have as many work arounds

Mech fan, VH & AC delete