It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: crd no start
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

02 manual, 2.5crd, bought at auction in durban they said it only needed a key, had a key made and coded key light off, van swings no start, was advised change cps, did so better swing almost started, detected funny noise in engine turned out iol pump failed beArings shot, had them done Now won't start from key, not mechanical engine starts with quickstart in intake, auto elec says he can't read the ecu, I have a lead on new ecu but its expensive how can I be sure it is the ecu that's faulty, please help Durban

Post subject: Re: crd no start
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:46 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

moon5 wrote:
02 manual, 2.5crd, bought at auction in durban they said it only needed a key, had a key made and coded key light off, van swings no start, was advised change cps, did so better swing almost started, detected funny noise in engine turned out iol pump failed beArings shot, had them done Now won't start from key, not mechanical engine starts with quickstart in intake, auto elec says he can't read the ecu, I have a lead on new ecu but its expensive how can I be sure it is the ecu that's faulty, please help Durban

Welcome to the forum, and FYI: A number of EURO KJ owners are members, here - there are enuff differences between '02 EURO 2.5L KJ and '05-'06 US 2.8L KJ that will require their input, rather than ours

Lack of instant response does not indicate that you're being ignored - just keep checking back until our EURO members see your post and can respond

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:05 am 
LOST Junkie

Howzit, welcome to the forum. Beware of using Quickstart in these diesel engines!

The ECU on these engines is pretty robust....where did you get the coded key from? The Dealers should have been able to supply you with two correct keys.

When the work was done on the engine was the engine removed?
Could be some connectors not connected or in the wrong place.

So when you turn the ignition ON you should briefly see the SKIS amber symbol of a Key with a stripe through it....this light should go out after a few seconds. If the light stays on or flashes then there is a problem...if the light does not come on at all there is a problem....hold down the Odometer trip reset button while turning the ignition ON. All the LEDS should come on and the gauges will move around.

Our 2.5 Export CRDs came with the better fuel head...Racor....that the USA members did not get but I would advise you to buy a new fuel filter....about R600 for genuine Racor from the dealers and then prime the fuel head properly. I will give you a link as to how this type of fuel head is primed but the Service Manual is slightly incorrect.....you unscrew the nylon screw on the top using a coin....pull it all the way up....pump it up and down a few times...loosen the brass bolt on the side of the fuel head to let air/water out. Tighten the brass bolt and repeat the process until the plunger is rock-hard.

Fuel related problems do not post error codes but there are several other codes that can be posted.....it is difficult to get a code reader that reads our old CRDs as they use a PCI Bus as apposed to the CAN bus on newer models.

You can use the "Key" method to get codes out:

Rapidly turn the ignition ON/OFF without starting the engine 4 times.
Leave the ignition ON after the 4th time and the Odometer display will display stored codes...starting from the oldest codes to the newest...the old codes could be ancient and no longer relevant. make a note of the newest codes and post them here. Bear in mind that this method sometimes transposes the last two digits just to confuse you and this method does not erase the codes. Hopefully this may call out the Crank or Cam sensor.

In the meantime make sure the battery connections are good, the battery lead to chassis is good and the strap connecting engine to chassis is clean and tight...mechanics sometimes forget to connect this up.

Then check all fuses....under bonnet (hood) and inside the cabin....right-hind side.

Try swapping over the Auto Shutdown Relay (ASD) with an identical one next to it....this is in the relay box under the hood and check if the ASD relay is actually energizing and stays energized....either open it or put meter leads across the coil terminals 85 and 86.

You can download the 2002 KJ Service Manual here...includes the circuit diagrams and component locations but first download the section marked "2.5_2.8 Export Diesel" as the Service Manual does not cover our 2.5 Export CRD engines. Hope your timing belt did not snap or slip or you will have major damage....if you have no service records of when it was replaced then have it replaced in any case...should be done every 160,000 kms or 6 years:wink:

http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:19 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi thanks for the help, it really works , I have followed it and pull out the ffg codes from oldest to newest P0304, P1130, P0190, P0335, P0235, P1685,P0115, P1605, P1131, P2120. Please can u tell me what these mean. Ur help is greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:29 am 
LOST Junkie

moon5 wrote:
Hi thanks for the help, it really works , I have followed it and pull out the ffg codes from oldest to newest P0304, P1130, P0190, P0335, P0235, P1685,P0115, P1605, P1131, P2120. Please can u tell me what these mean. Ur help is greatly appreciated.

I have sent you a PM...please have a look at it and get back to me.

Bill.