It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Or Stickies
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

"Someone needs to start a poll and have it as a sticky with a selection of problems the members are having and miles on the unit and type of driving such as heavy throttle useage, including off roading or towing. Things like EGR Failure, EGR Flow Control Valve failure, tranny failure, general tranny problems like jerking or poor shifting, suspension problems, brake problems, etc.

Seems to me that only a small number of folks are having any problems with their CRD, but are being very vocal. However I would like to know for sure before making any real decission on the reliability of the CRD and it's drive train. I lean toward the posibility of not enough tranny for the torque of engine at low RPM's, when sudden heavy throttle is applied at low speeds, and/or slow speed with TC locked up when hammered."

Missing 4x4 rear badge, missing 2nd part of plastic rivets on rear fender flare, 4x4 selector linkage broken at the factory or showroom floor, rear brakes grinding from hell and rear calipers not working, emergency break not set right or holding anything, rear pinion grease seal, broken air filter box slot and smashed grommet underneath causing the airbox to be pushed into intercooler hose and rubbing a slot through the wall of the intercooler hose. Warper PS reservoir cap causing an atf leak until replaced. All this before 2k miles. ~18k-20k passenger motor mount loosened causing a clunk. Just prior to that? Grubbs did a courtesy replacement of the egr (no cel thrown) based on retmil46 post about the humming noise while in Austin on his friends crd. 12.5k diff change found old orange build material on rear dif housing and the worse brown (not required syn grease because of towing package) stuff that I ever saw in a dif. The dif face was only machined smooth on the top half made using the brass brush to get that superceded orange crap off the housing. And now with the latest smooth shifting tsb, the tranny doesn't feel right and baby burps. I do prefer the firm very quick shifts and not clutch burning smooth shifts. Sticker on door affiixed as a 7AM build on a Friday. Thursday night hangover or left over parts and one of the first builds.

Thank goodness no towing needed, no tc or tranny work, no grit in coolant and hopefully no grit was in the oil.

Edit: The weeping at the rubber grommet in the block where the turbo oil cooling return line enters seems to have stopped. Grommet swollen, 5w40 oil, or something else.

Last edited by tired_old_dave on Sat May 27, 2006 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:11 pm 
LOST Addict

Every mfg that mass produces cars can make a lemon, if all that is true I would have had it gone long ago.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject: old navy
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yes, this is all true and I didn't even mention all the oil in the system and both dipsticks useless, bought the new tires at 7k miles because I spun out where a very old camry just pulled out with no problems and of course to some we paid too much to open the exhaust.

But it is still a great ride and the two times I got real diesel the mileage was there. I have been asking dcx for many months to do the right thing-else we will unload for a 2008 chevy or korean (if still not upside down). Grubbs service manager months ago asked if I was excited about the new GC w/blutec - my answer shocked him. Many months ago and elsewhere I posted about the parallel to gm diesels - and about heads rolling. If your gut feeling is that the tc or tranny needs a fix, then dcx needs to talk to us and announce that we were a very expensive test and hit to their bottom line and again as I have for many months said - step up to the plate and earn honor and a great reputation in the public's eye (and pocketbooks). I used to chide elsewhere the Dunne quote about the bell. But maybe Red Green's is more appropriate since some claim theirs were built by angels, I'm pulling for you; we're all in this together.

Post subject: Re: retmil46
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:15 am 
LOST Addict

tired_old_dave wrote:
"Uh oh. That sounds like what my friend in TX described, before the beast started throwing codes and they ended up replacing the mixing valve, EGR, and turbo."

Did I miss a previous post about your friends turbo being replaced? Is this 0w40/5w40 going past the turbo seal. One post somewhere dropped a turbo update/change. And another post mentioned 15w40 kept a ford? intake clean. I believe your provent and rotella 5w40 has kept your intake clean. Bottomline, should some of us - more than normal - expect turbo problems (turbo seal probems?) in addition to everything else?

This was about 2 or 3 weeks ago. It wasn't just the seals, turbo itself had pretty well went south. No boost, throwing low boost CEL code constantly, drove like a dog and low fuel mileage, even after replacing EGR and mixing valve. He said after replacement you could actually hear the turbo again. But that's all the dealer did, didn't check the tranny, didn't do any of the applicable reflashes (including the one they should have done for replacing the EGR), etc. According to my friend, the only reason they gave for not doing anything else was "we don't have time to mess with it". :shock: They just didn't want to be bothered with warranty work.

When I get a chance, I'll ask him how the beast is performing now and what issues he still has with it.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject: retmil46
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:30 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the info. Someone posted somewhere that diesel soot is an abrasive. Syn oil, abrasive soot, and an incomplete burn-could these cause the v in the vgt to fail? The radio guy in dfw has rxp as a sponsor and says it gives complete combustion and that is why I asked about PRI-D that camping world is now selling. Stop the ccv oil/soot, cetane boost and/or synthetic additive, and try to max the combustion burn. Thanks for all your posts. And while tod wore green in the far east a long time ago. tod (who loves to talk - ask the better half) is going to try to run silent run deep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:03 pm 
LOST Member

They replaced:

Part# : Description

5166555-AB : VALVE EGR 14038024
5142815-AA : GASKET EG 9001004
5142799-AA : VALVE EGR 14033001

And they performed TSB 25-001-05 Rev. A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 1:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

Add me to the list, I bought an 05 with 15k miles. CEL came on as I was driving it home from picking it up.
Dealer says 5142799-AA is bad, part is listed as backordered from DCX.
I hope this is not an everyday thing, I love the car and it runs great in spite of the code.

Steve

Post subject: Rumble, Rumble
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:18 pm 
LOST Addict

oldnavy wrote:
RFCRD wrote:
When you talk about the "buzz" do you mean the high pitch humm that last @ 5 seconds after you shut the motor off? Does it goe away with a bit of a clicking sound?
Have the same thing, but havent noticed a clicking sound.

OK, now you have jinxed this thing. Went to shut down tonight and got a rumble, rumble after run. Shook a little like shutting down a big diesel. The normal high pitch humm followed by the click/pop did not happen. No codes yet. How much you want to bet on this one....

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

At least it seems to be stuck open.

IronMan Lift/Shocks/Provent/Moog ball joints/ V6 Airbox/Fan/Hayden
Cobalt Boost/EGT/Oil/Trans/Volt gauges/Aeroturbine 2525
Yeti Hot Tune/Odessey 65/Samco's/Michelin Defenders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:57 pm 
LOST Addict

Ranger1 wrote:

Wouldn't it be the kicker to loose an EGR now? My demand letter got me a face to face meeting with DC & Jeep product reps at the dealer in mid June to discuss my issues. Bet there are lot of CRD owners that would love to be a fly on the wall that day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:29 am 
LOST Addict

RFCRD wrote:
Ranger1 wrote:

Wouldn't it be the kicker to loose an EGR now? My demand letter got me a face to face meeting with DC & Jeep product reps at the dealer in mid June to discuss my issues. Bet there are lot of CRD owners that would love to be a fly on the wall that day.

Think you could sneak in a small tape recorder in your pants pocket? :twisted: :wink:

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:31 am 
LOST Addict

retmil46 wrote:
RFCRD wrote:
Ranger1 wrote:

Think you could sneak in a small tape recorder in your pants pocket? :twisted: :wink:

Tempting thought. DC needed several weeks to assemble to the necessary people for this meeting. Was still upset when this was arranged, I think they said that one would be a product tech/engineer to "explain my Liberty to me." This should be entertaining at the least. My gut hunch is they are sending a couple of suits to keep them out of court. Intend to have legal help before going in.

The economics of their actions tell me DC isn't going to turn a wrench. One would think it's less expensive to just fix this than assemble a committee and transport them several hours from Detroit/Toledo for a meeting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:54 am 
LOST Junkie

we all can't wait for your meeting!

They most likely will either do the "you did get a lemon" or "you don't understand a diesel" approach. The first, well all that is left is negotisating the best return money wise for you, the second give them it both barrels!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:08 pm 
LOST Addict

If this was going to happen at a dealership I would think about making the trip just for moral support for a fellow member.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

"Someone needs to start a poll and have it as a sticky with a selection of problems the members are having and miles on the unit and type of driving such as heavy throttle useage, including off roading or towing. Things like EGR Failure, EGR Flow Control Valve failure, tranny failure, general tranny problems like jerking or poor shifting, suspension problems, brake problems, etc.

Seems to me that only a small number of folks are having any problems with their CRD, but are being very vocal. However I would like to know for sure before making any real decission on the reliability of the CRD and it's drive train. I lean toward the posibility of not enough tranny for the torque of engine at low RPM's, when sudden heavy throttle is applied at low speeds, and/or slow speed with TC locked up when hammered."

how do you want the poll set up. to have as a sticky? put what you want it to say and it will be stickied :twisted:

other mods coming soon...

Last edited by 0311_DoC on Mon May 29, 2006 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:14 pm 
LOST Addict

oldnavy wrote:
If this was going to happen at a dealership I would think about making the trip just for moral support for a fellow member.

I'm more interested in attending out of curiosity than anything else. Puzzled why they wouldn't just have a tech look at this and fix it, any good wrench head can see the oil problems. The phantom trany problem will probably get debated until it scatters. This is all repairable and could expect a good vehicle when done. Have an uneasy feeling like I'm walking into a trap. Definately going to get the lawyer involved beforehand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:10 pm 
LOST Addict

Sounds good to me. Can you make it happen?

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject: P/N CH5142799-AA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:14 pm 
LOST Junkie

Just recieved notice in the mail the EGR Airflow Valve that they had no nation back order is finally came in and it is P/N CH5142799-AA. Anyone no the signifigance of the CH prefix on the part number?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:41 pm 
LOST Member

Sigh - got the dreaded 'buzzing' behind the alternator today. I'm thinking the EGR solinoid. Here is hoping the national backorder issue is resolved.

Vehicle runs fine except for the very load intermittant buzzing when engine is running and for about 20 seconds after it stops.

Post subject: More Part Numbers
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:00 am 
LOST Newbie

No problems with my 05 CRD till last week at 12700 miles. Went in with CEL light. Replaced:

4596424AA Clamp (2)
5066386AA Coolant
5142613AA EGR gasket
5166555AB Valve
5142799AA Valve
5142806AA T/Body

Performed TSB 25-001-05

[fingers crossed]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next