It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EGR options?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

I am considering buying a CRD. I'm just wondering about modifications for the EGR. I saw a list somewhere with pros and cons of the different options, but I can't find it now.

Here is my understanding of the options

GDE tune - does this completely eliminate egr function? I like the added benifits but don't like the price.
ORM - eliminates egr function but sets CEL.
Don't rember name - simmalar to ORM but uses wiring connectors to not set the CEL

I also read something about usning a scan gauge with the orm to eliminate the CEL form coming on.

Can anyoun clear this up for me so I know my options if I purchase a CRD?
Thank you.

Post subject: Re: EGR options?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:37 pm 
LOST Junkie

The price of the GDE tune is a little tough to come up with initially for most of us, but you WILL reclaim the investment in money saved at the pump. And, you and your Liberty will smile the whole time while reclaiming your cost. It runs that much better!

#1 CRD, 174,000 miles. Eco tune, Samco hoses. Mobil1 0-40w used since day one
#2 CRD 143,000 miles. Bought used (unknown history) with 100,000 miles. Samco hoses.
Eco tune, new rockers, and 5 volt glow plugs installed at 124,000 miles

Post subject: Re: EGR options?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

In town to/from work 9 miles one-way stop & go max speed 45mph pre-GDE 18.5 mpg average/post-GDE 22.5 mpg average - highway generally a steady 62 mph at 1,800 rpm pre-GDE 27 mpg/post-GDE (2,000+ miles - Tally to Baltimore and back with some in DC and a tstat failing open on last tank both of which likely cut average by 0.5-1 mpg) 32mpg. Essentially a 20% improvement in mpg so at 10,000 miles per year you are looking at 2 year payback cycle or less. That doesn't count 1) minimial future EGR worries; 2) MAP sensor stays clean; and 3) under full throttle acceleration you don't look like you are fogging for mosquitos. I'd go on but you get the picture in one person's opinion.

Oh by the way if you have to go with the new 5v metal glow plugs in the future be ready to shell out $s to the dealer (I've heard tell of $200) for an ECU flash that GDE can cover in their flash or do later for $50.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs