It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Glow Plug #2 Removal - Update/Seeking Advice
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:46 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I would still ohm them out, and if they are all the same, change the harness.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:59 pm 
LOST Member

Picked up a cheap multimeter and tested resistance on the old Bosch glow plug that was in the number 2 slot, and it registered 67 ohms...no good. Disconnected the glow plug module and tested all four that are currently in the truck using negative battery terminal:

Plug #4 was .6 ohms (good)
Plug #3 was .6 ohms (good)
Plug #2 a.k.a. brand new eTecno was .8 ohms (good)
Plug #1, which is currently throwing a code, was 79 ohms (no good)

So, I guess glow plug number one crapped out right after number two. Guess I'll be buying another glow plug. In fact, maybe I'll just buy three more and save on the shipping...

RRO Rockfather Deluxe Lift (OME/KYB GR-2/RRO)
GDE Eco Tune
SAMCO Sport CAC Hoses
Hayden Fan Clutch
Updated Litens Serpentine Tensioner
European Graf Water Pump
Nitro Rear Diff Cover w/Lubelocker Gasket

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:35 pm 
LOST Member

Well...glow plug #1 was certainly easy enough to deal with! Came out easy. I double-checked the ohms again and it was at about 79, so no good. Put the new one in, cleared the codes, and started it up. No CEL. I will try a cold start tomorrow (if you can call 70 degrees a cold start, LOL) and see if it turns over better. I noticed the truck started quite rough with #1 acting up, and a little less rough with a bad #2 glow plug. Does that have to do with the firing order?

During the glow plug problems, I had noticed white smoke at the tailpipe upon the first departure of the day, even in warm Florida temps up to 78 degrees, so I'm hoping that was just unburned fuel from the rough start being eliminated out of the exhaust. I am starting to get a little paranoid after reading about head gasket issues etc., especially since I've been slowly losing coolant. Still trying to find the leak. Guess I'll have to have it checked... I'm really hoping at 65,000 miles, there is nothing going on with the HG.

GDE Eco Tune
SAMCO Sport CAC Hoses
Hayden Fan Clutch
European Graf Water Pump

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:15 pm 
LOST Addict

MicroBruin wrote:
Well...glow plug #1 was certainly easy enough to deal with! Came out easy. I double-checked the ohms again and it was at about 79, so no good. Put the new one in, cleared the codes, and started it up. No CEL. I will try a cold start tomorrow (if you can call 70 degrees a cold start, LOL) and see if it turns over better. I noticed the truck started quite rough with #1 acting up, and a little less rough with a bad #2 glow plug. Does that have to do with the firing order?

During the glow plug problems, I had noticed white smoke at the tailpipe upon the first departure of the day, even in warm Florida temps up to 78 degrees, so I'm hoping that was just unburned fuel from the rough start being eliminated out of the exhaust. I am starting to get a little paranoid after reading about head gasket issues etc., especially since I've been slowly losing coolant. Still trying to find the leak. Guess I'll have to have it checked... I'm really hoping at 65,000 miles, there is nothing going on with the HG.

The issue with rough start and running with a bad glow plug is caused by cold fuel and cold air with a cold engine and the fuel in the cylinder doesn't burn entirely due to lower temperatures, so it's an impartial burn. You should replace all glow plugs and see how it behaves. Don't get too paranoid, that's how I end up replacing a good set of rocker arms and lifters on my jeep, lol. At 65k, if you didn't overheat the jeep and have a gde tune I doubt you have hg issues...

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:57 pm 
LOST Addict

For the most part, living in florida means not needing glow plugs to start your diesel engine.
I had my glow plugs completely un plugged for most of spring and summer last year.
And there was no exhaust smoke either.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:31 pm 
LOST Member

flash7210 wrote:
For the most part, living in florida means not needing glow plugs to start your diesel engine.
I had my glow plugs completely un plugged for most of spring and summer last year.
And there was no exhaust smoke either.

Well...that's kind of what I figured...BUT...it definitely was not starting in a healthy sounding way. When just plug #2 was bad, no big deal. Just a slight cough/hesitation upon firing up. However, when just glow plug #1 was bad, it started quite rough, even at an ambient of 70 degrees, which I thought was very odd. In fact, I tried three times in a row once and it didn't start right away...leading me to let off the key a little too early all three times. After that, it threw code P1001....something about the key being cycled off too soon, or something to that effect. Maybe I've just been spoiled in the last 1 1/2 years of owning this truck....but, it has always started immediately, and purred like a kitten....up until the glow plugs went out. If you don't think the white smoke is related to that, then I guess I'm a little concerned.

On a side note, the battery was replaced with a subpar unit by either the owner or dealer sometime before I purchased. I guess they were trying to save a few bucks...although it looks pretty new, it's only around 600 CCA, well under what these trucks request. I'm thinking of swapping it out real soon. Perhaps it's not cranking well enough, and that is leading to unburned fuel?? I'm still learning about these little diesel monsters. It's fun, but a little nerve wracking to learn as I go. So far, the scariest thing was stripping the last of the threads on the oil pan (previous owner did 90% of the damage, I believe), and having to heli-coil. Thank god it's holding up well. I was also very nervous replacing plugs...fearing breakage in the head, etc. Now, I've got head gasket leak-a-phobia. Oh well....I will overcome my fears....slowly....

GDE Eco Tune
SAMCO Sport CAC Hoses
Hayden Fan Clutch
European Graf Water Pump

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:47 am 
LOST Member

Microbruin, I'd be concerned more about finding the coolant leak......my rig was damaged by the previous owner as he ran a known bad water pump until it caused the timing belt to jump time and eat the rockers............I don't wish this on anyone! Find your engines leak!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:51 am 
LOST Member

olypopper wrote:
Microbruin, I'd be concerned more about finding the coolant leak......my rig was damaged by the previous owner as he ran a known bad water pump until it caused the timing belt to jump time and eat the rockers............I don't wish this on anyone! Find your engines leak!

Think I found it today....looks like a small leak on the radiator end of the hose from the thermostat to radiator. It's on the underside of the hose, so that's probably why I missed it, and allows the coolant to drop without much of a trail. I had the truck running, and saw a small drip below the control arm, so I traced it up to that hose. Should be an easy fix....assuming that it's the hose, and not a crack in the plastic collar/tank of the radiator. Crossing my fingers...

On another note...with the two new glow plugs, and a new, larger battery, it looks like my hard starts are over. Truck fires up quick and strong. The white smoke from the tailpipe upon the first acceleration of the day may also be gone....wife said she didn't see any as I drove off.

GDE Eco Tune
SAMCO Sport CAC Hoses
Hayden Fan Clutch
European Graf Water Pump

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:38 am 
LOST Member

MicroBruin wrote:
On another note...with the two new glow plugs, and a new, larger battery, it looks like my hard starts are over. Truck fires up quick and strong. The white smoke from the tailpipe upon the first acceleration of the day may also be gone....wife said she didn't see any as I drove off.

Spoke too soon...no more glow plug codes with the two new etecnos, but still starting a little hard. Still a little white smoke. Bummed right now about the harder than normal starts....and, to make things worse, my coolant leak seems to be getting more substantial. Will get it checked real soon, but I'm hoping it's just that radiator hose, and not something serious.

GDE Eco Tune
SAMCO Sport CAC Hoses
Hayden Fan Clutch
European Graf Water Pump