It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Glow Plug #2 Removal - Update/Seeking Advice
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:29 am 
LOST Member

Got the dreaded glow plug #2 code a few days ago (P0672). I was thinking of replacing just that one for the time being, assuming I don't have to yank a thousand things out of the engine bay to do so. I've looked at the tech write-ups here on the forum, and the service manual, and it seems maybe #2 can be accessed by just removing the alternator bracket and some wiring disconnects. Anyone out there replaced just plug #2, and can confirm? I have small hands, and nimble fingers, so I'm hoping that will play to my advantage. I must admit, I'm a little nervous about the tip breaking off. Planning on using the drop-in Etecno 7v plugs.

On a side note, I'm in west central Florida, and wondering if there's a rush on this. It still started fine at about 50 degrees the other night. Does leaving it in pose more of a risk of ceramic breakage?? Thanks in advance...

RRO Rockfather Deluxe Lift (OME/KYB GR-2/RRO)
GDE Eco Tune
SAMCO Sport CAC Hoses
Hayden Fan Clutch
Updated Litens Serpentine Tensioner
European Graf Water Pump
Nitro Rear Diff Cover w/Lubelocker Gasket

Last edited by MicroBruin on Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Glow Plug #2 Removal
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:45 pm 
LOST Junkie

#2 is easy. It's #3 that is difficult. Once they go bad, the glow plug is more prone to breaking. I'd change the bad one asap. If it was my ride, I would change them all out.

RUNNING B100
Pic of my Jeep!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:52 pm 
LOST Addict

If it's failed I'd get it out of there ASAP as the ceramic tip has likely split in which case it's probably just a matter of time until bits start to fall off.

The good news is #2 is easy to get to.

The bad news is that some 05's were built with a back to front harness so your #2 may actually be #3 which is a witch to get to.

Only way to be sure is to measure the resistance.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:19 pm 
LOST Member

dirtmover wrote:
The bad news is that some 05's were built with a back to front harness so your #2 may actually be #3 which is a witch to get to.

Arghhhhh...maybe I should just do the whole job then, as much as I dread it. I just worry about that whole "if ain't broke" thing...I really don't want one of these to break off when I'm removing it. Well, maybe I'll take a look at the resistance test procedure first... Thanks

GDE Eco Tune
SAMCO Sport CAC Hoses
Hayden Fan Clutch
European Graf Water Pump

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:34 pm 
LOST Addict

MicroBruin wrote:
dirtmover wrote:

Arghhhhh...maybe I should just do the whole job then, as much as I dread it. I just worry about that whole "if ain't broke" thing...I really don't want one of these to break off when I'm removing it. Well, maybe I'll take a look at the resistance test procedure first... Thanks

Get a deep socket and use a 1/4 drive, as they flex a bit more. And don't go ninja on them, if they don't budge, tie them a bit then untie them, use some pb blaster also. Take the hole elbow out and read squeeto's walkthrough in the tech forum. Just be smart and you'll be fine, usually it's not as bad as some people say it is :D.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:25 pm 
LOST Member

If you decide to replace them all consider the Weeks Kit. It wasn't available when I did mine, but that intake elbow is a PITA. You'll be fiddling with/removing all the the same parts so might as well get them out while you're at it and the reassembly should be easier with this setup.

Samco Hose Kit
Fumoto 102
Etecno1 GX3123 Steel 7V Glow Plugs
GDE FT Eco and Hot Tunes
JBA 4.5 UCAs
OME Lift

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

I 2nd the Weeks elbow install, my GPs were split when removed. Luckily none were blistered too much to get out. Good luck

05 Liberty Sport (SEGR, Elephant hose, Caseless inline thermostat, Weeks Elbow, 7V Etecnos, V-6 airbox w/splashguard, Aussie shroud, Bees Timing belt procedure w/ IDPARTS, EVIC added, Leather Seats installed, Moog LBJs)
02 Jetta TDI wagon GLS (elephant hose mod), 5-Spd swap, Bilsteins, TT bushings
I stand UNDER my work!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:34 am 
LOST Member

Thanks for chiming in, guys. I've decided to do the #2 plug only for now. If I have a reversed harness and that doesn't solve the problem, I'll likely order up the remaining plugs and the weeks kit. I'm reasonably certain I can do#2 just removing the alternator bracket. So, I'll save the rest for when I have a little more time. My 16 month old boy is a little time bandit, so I'm gonna try the procrastination method for now... My poor Libby CRD isn't getting much of my focus these days... Hopefully she doesn't start acting out in an effort to get more attention...

GDE Eco Tune
SAMCO Sport CAC Hoses
Hayden Fan Clutch
European Graf Water Pump

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Plug the block heater in, and soak the glow plug in PB'Laster about 30 min before you start working it out. Remember to work it back and forth slowly, and a nice piece of 3/8" rubber tubing taped to a stick makes a great GP removal tool (trust me).

GDE ECO Tune / Fumoto Valve / E-Tecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs / 2nd Gen Fuel Head / Mishimoto RED Hoses / Rockers/Lifters @ 114k / Hayden FC + 11 Blade Nylon / Sears P1 Battery / Transgo 45RFE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit / Timken Front Bearings

Post subject: Glow Plug change
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

Speaking of glow-plugs - What is the consensuses on changing the plugs re - mileage.. ?

Should we wait until the pugs fail to change them ? ..or change them at a certain mileage, regardless?

dw

Home of the dr5 process - http://www.dr5.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:29 pm 
LOST Junkie

My consensus is to change all 4 shortly after the first one goes bad.

RUNNING B100
Pic of my Jeep!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:38 am 
LOST Addict

There's many factors at play here.

My first one failed at 20,000km when the vehicle was barely a year old. It was changed under warranty but I wasn't about to change the other 3 at the same time. These early failures got me into a wait until fail mode.

Now if my first failure had been at 4 or 5 years I probably would have replaced them all at that point.

Bosch suggest that they age and do not heat up as effectively as they become more used. This could be purely to sell more but I have no reason not to believe them.

I don't think you can give a change interval based on age because total burn time versus age is also going to depend on ambient temperature e.g. mine work a heck of a lot harder than someone living in say Florida or Texas

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:17 pm 
LOST Addict

Keith advises IMMEDIATELY replacing plugs as soon as they throw a code.

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:37 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Start the engine and get it hot before you remove the glow plug.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:19 pm 
LOST Member

Okay...so, given that my little CRD was a near mint, low mileage Florida truck, I was able to very easily remove glow plug 2, and it looked beautiful. No missing chunks, no nasty sludge or buildup....not even a speck of rust on the threads. However, as soon as I started the truck with the new plug, I got a new code...0671, showing a fault with plug #1. This seems way too suspicious to me. I've heard of them crapping out within in weeks of each other, but there was no previous code for plug #1. So, now I'm thinking it's either the module or harness. I will have to double check, and make sure I didn't loosen the harness from plug #1, but I'm wondering what you guys think. I guess testing the resistance could rule out both a bad plug and/or harness. If it's good, then I guess I would know the module is bad, right? Thanks.

GDE Eco Tune
SAMCO Sport CAC Hoses
Hayden Fan Clutch
European Graf Water Pump

Post subject: Re: Glow Plug #2 Removal - Update/Seeking Advice
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

New plugs have been known to throw faults, it wouldn't be unheard of. The simplest solution is to switch them.

I.E. move an easily accessed plug that is currently not throwing faults to #1 and see if it does at #1.

That will eliminate whether it's a plug/harness issue and only cost you labor.

GDE ECO Tune / Fumoto Valve / E-Tecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs / 2nd Gen Fuel Head / Mishimoto RED Hoses / Rockers/Lifters @ 114k / Hayden FC + 11 Blade Nylon / Sears P1 Battery / Transgo 45RFE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit / Timken Front Bearings

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:54 pm 
LOST Member

Hexus wrote:
New plugs have been known to throw faults, it wouldn't be unheard of. The simplest solution is to switch them.

I.E. move an easily accessed plug that is currently not throwing faults to #1 and see if it does at #1.

That will eliminate whether it's a plug/harness issue and only cost you labor.

Is it common for a different glow plug than the one you replace to immediately throw a code? That's what is weird...I wouldn't be surprised if the new glow-plug threw a code initially, but it's an entirely different one...strange....

I guess there is one other possibility here. I drove around for a couple of weeks before changing the glow plug. I guess, maybe, #1 could have gone bad during that time as well, although it seems unlikely.

The truck has been starting a little rough when the engine isn't warm (I'm in Florida, thank god...hasn't dropped below 55 in my garage). So, there's no doubt in my mind that a plug is not heating up right. This truck usually starts flawlessly, without so much as a hiccup. Hmmmm....guess I'll have to play around in the garage a little more.

GDE Eco Tune
SAMCO Sport CAC Hoses
Hayden Fan Clutch
European Graf Water Pump

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I guess I could have put it more simply.

Switch out #1 GP with #2 (or any for that matter) GP. If the code moves to #2 (or wherever) you know it's a GP issue, if not, it's the harness.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hexus wrote:

Switch out #1 GP with #2 (or any for that matter) GP. If the code moves to #2 (or wherever) you know it's a GP issue, if not, it's the harness.

Do the GP wires have enough slack to swap 1 & 2, that way he would not have to remove them. I check my GPs with an ohm meter, and the one that is off gets changed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

flman wrote:
Hexus wrote:

Do the GP wires have enough slack to swap 1 & 2, that way he would not have to remove them. I check my GPs with an ohm meter, and the one that is off gets changed.

IIRC, no, they aren't long enough to interchange with each other.