It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FOULED Injectors - CRD 2006
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

While driving on the streets at 45 mph, I had the loud pop followed by black smoke and the lack of power- unable to accelerate past 50 mph. I took it to 2 dealerships (Sacramento, CA Area) and they didn’t have the intelligence to repair it. I had it towed back to my house when they were quoting me $5k to repair it. When I start it there is a noticeable clicking sound – it runs like my 4 cylinder MG with 1 or 2 cylinders not firing. However, the black smoke is gone. The following engine codes are occurring:

• P0299 Turbo Under-boost
• P0101 Mass Air Flow Sensor
• P0303 Cylinder #3 Misfire

I finally decided to clean the top of the engine and pull the injectors. All four were covered with a black sludge with 3 & 4 being the worst. I'll try to get the pictures of the injectors 3 & 4 posted. I’m thinking the ERG/FCV may be causing the sludge buildup.

Since the Jeep has 104K miles, I will replace the timing belt, have the injectors refurbished (locally), replace the turbo hoses, inspect the turbo, and download the software to remove the ERG/FCV tuning.

Any advice regarding the cause of the sludge and the correct steps to correct this issue would be much appreciated!

Jamie B

Post subject: Re: FOULED Injectors - CRD 2006
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:55 pm 
LOST Member

loud pop could be a boost hose bursting or simply slipping off at one of the connections. That would cause the P-0299 under boost code

2006 Liberty CRD 275K, JBA 2.5 with Fox Shocks, GDE Turbo Kit, GDE TCM Tune, Suncoast TC, OEM fuel filter housing converted to fit Caterpillar Fuel Filter 1R-0749, OEM themostat housing modified to accept Hemi 203 F thermostat.

Post subject: FOULED Injectors - CRD 2006
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:16 pm 
LOST Addict

So you won't work twice, this is what I'd do: if you don't have silicon turbo hoses, get a pair of samcos or mishimotos and just replace the oem junk. Inspect the airbox to turbo hose by completely removing it and look for cracks where it mounts in the turbo. Once that's done, get an obd2 scanner and read your maf, should be around 18g when engine is idling warm at sea level. If you have less than 17, I'd advise to replace your rockers with new and once you're there, clean the valve cover and intake elbow with gasoline till it looks like new. This way you'll remove all the egr sludge/dirt. I'd also replace the head studs with arp to avoid any potential head gasket leaks in the future. If your rocker inspection shows rockers in good shape and the elbow is about 90% clogged, you may be ok just cleaning it and keep your rockers. If you plan on keeping the jeep for a while, this would give you the peace of mind of at least another 100k worry free. Oh, btw, get a gde tune or something similar to stop the egr.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

Post subject: Re: FOULED Injectors - CRD 2006
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

I call rockers. On my 15th CRD needing rocker replacement.