It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Mature" Stereo Upgrades?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:06 pm 
LOST Member

Posting here rather than the other forums because CRD drivers are more like I am than the general forum.

I'm looking for options suggestions on a mature stereo upgrade. I want to do all the speakers and the head unit, but, I don't want to add a huge sub to the back or have a flashy head unit. I just want to add missing features like bluetooth hands free & HD radio, while improving the sound somewhat.

Show me what you got!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:43 pm 
LOST Addict

cevans wrote:
Posting here rather than the other forums because CRD drivers are more like I am than the general forum.

I'm looking for options suggestions on a mature stereo upgrade. I want to do all the speakers and the head unit, but, I don't want to add a huge sub to the back or have a flashy head unit. I just want to add missing features like bluetooth hands free & HD radio, while improving the sound somewhat.

Show me what you got!

I've always liked Kenwood. Alpine is probably better. Sony and jvc are also good. The main issue is that the crd dash is 1.5 din, so keeping your stock dash would let you get a 1 din (which are the shortest radio/stereo. There is a special dash made by somebody that would allow you to install a 2 din radio (those usually have big screens like nav units have). If you're interested in a 2 din unit, let me know and I can get the link for you (Amazon and eBay).

You'll be able to find out a "non-flashy" unit from those manufacturers I mentioned, I would not go with anything but a brand name than you and your grandpa heard off, as there is difference in quality. You can buy 1din brand names for less than 100 and go up in the 200 range, depending on how many outputs they have, features, etc. best advice I have for you is to go on Amazon (as the interface is friendlier) or best buy website and choose what you want, and maybe if you're still unsure post the links and have us comment. Nowadays almost all radios have blue tooth, iPod input and aux input. The double din units have the advantage of being able to connect them to a rear camera where you can see actually something on a bigger screen.

Forgot something, you can get a flat subwoofer (won't sound like a full size one but it is still decent) to increase the sound quality without having your license plate vibrate and windows cracking. If 20-40 bucks extra is not an issue, get a radio with more outputs, so you can connect a reasonable subwoofer later if you so decide. For me the reason I don't have a sub is because of trunk space, but I do have a flat mini-sub in the Cherokee under the rear bench, and as it can sound like a "mad bro pimp ride" I never turn it that loud.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

Post subject: Re: "Mature" Stereo Upgrades?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:59 pm 
LOST Junkie

My vote is a single din alpine headunit. Then if you wanted to replace the stock speakers, I'd suggest any mid level 6.5" 2-way co-ax. Alpine also makes a mini hu amp that will fit in the dash that will provide around 45x4 watts. Or like thermorex said pick a hu with multiple RCA outputs just in case you want add an amp later

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:04 pm 
LOST Member

The first question you need to ask yourself is how much are you looking to spend? The budget will really be the deciding factor on what to get. I really like kenwood head units. I had a X996 in a subaru impreza I had and loved it. I have a X994 in my step moms liberty and its decent and not very flashy. The next question is speakers, and this is where the budget comes in. I personally really, really like Hertz speakers, but they might totally blow the budget. In the Impreza I had some Kenwood DS65s and they were very decent. However pretty much any aftermarket speaker isnt going to have the bass the stock speakers have, especially if you have the infinity speaker setup. So you should look for a small subwoofer. They make low profile subs for under seats, they also have a nice encloser for the rear pocket of the liberty. That's what I'm going to be looking for. Then you have to decide if you have the budget for an amp for the door speakers, I always recommend one to get the most out of them, but if you dont "need" one.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:12 pm 
LOST Addict

Good point, forgot to mention an amp. Again, you don't need to go nuts like teenagers do, there are small amps that give you 50w one channel for subwoofer for a very low price. The question is who will install it, if you'll do the work it may worth, otherwise you'll pay more than the unit, lol. Also, look for mini subs that include a small amp within the unit, the Cherokee one I have has everything in the unit, plus a wired remote for bass and treble.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:21 pm 
LOST Member

BTW, if you have the infinity speakers, they're worth the $35 foam replacement. I was considering replacing mine because they weren't sounding very good, so I disassembled and found the foam gone. Due to to the complications with the speaker-mounted amps I decided to try the foam replacement before replacing the speakers. It's easy to do and restored mine completely. They really sound nice and no need for a separate sub.

Samco Hose Kit
Fumoto 102
Etecno1 GX3123 Steel 7V Glow Plugs
GDE FT Eco and Hot Tunes
JBA 4.5 UCAs
OME Lift

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:31 am 
LOST Member

Is it easy to find the correct foam surrounds? Where would one start?

EDIT:

Actually, I think I found them:

http://www.springfieldspeakerrepair.com ... =2A65-Jeep

2005 Liberty Limited CRD; Air Filter Monitor; Samco Hoses; GDE HOT Tune; RL037142AA TC; KJ Interior Rack from All J Products; JBA Adjust-a-strut lift and A-Arms; 245/75R16 Firestone Destination ATs on Moabs; ARB Bumper; ASFIR Skids; FS-2500 Bypass Filter; ARP studs.
2016 Grand Cherokee Overland CRD.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:50 am 
LOST Member

user113 wrote:
Is it easy to find the correct foam surrounds? Where would one start?

EDIT:

Actually, I think I found them:

http://www.springfieldspeakerrepair.com ... =2A65-Jeep

Yep, that's the one I used.

Samco Hose Kit
Fumoto 102
Etecno1 GX3123 Steel 7V Glow Plugs
GDE FT Eco and Hot Tunes
JBA 4.5 UCAs
OME Lift

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:38 pm 
LOST Member

http://s722.photobucket.com/user/userna ... sort=3&o=0

Cheap head unit from Wal Mart plays most formats, Bluetooth, hands free, USB works great with RDIO APP. RCA outs.

06 LIMITED 100000miles, MAGNAFLOW, HOMEBUILT CCV FILTER, POLAR PAD, 02 AIRBOX, CUMMINS LIFT PUMP, SEGR, PILLAR GAUGE POD, CAT FILTER MONITOR, SPYDER TRAX, ALWAYS A LITTLE TWO STROKE OIL OR BIO, WATER/METH INJECTION

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:56 pm 
LOST Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aftermarket-Dou ... 5b0b32874b

cool , thanks did not know they made these

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:07 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Don't forget, you can buy a factory Chrysler head unit used on eBay from a later model that has bluetooth support, and it will look factory. (because it is!) Lest expensive way to do it..

I have yet to find a "non flashy" headunit that I like better than my factory 6 disc changer. My speakers sound really good still. I guess that shows my maturity, back in 1997 I had a Ford Ranger that the entire bed was a speaker box ported into the cab...

--John

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:56 pm 
LOST Addict

jrcstudios wrote:
Don't forget, you can buy a factory Chrysler head unit used on eBay from a later model that has bluetooth support, and it will look factory. (because it is!) Lest expensive way to do it..

I have yet to find a "non flashy" headunit that I like better than my factory 6 disc changer. My speakers sound really good still. I guess that shows my maturity, back in 1997 I had a Ford Ranger that the entire bed was a speaker box ported into the cab...

--John

Aren't they locked and you'll need the unlock code to make it work? The idea is good though, not sure if will work if there is no unlock code available...

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

Kenwood ksc-sw1. 6.5" sub with 6.5" passive woofer. Fits under the passenger seat nicely and just the right amount of "mature" bass.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

Bought one of the Chrysler RBK Radio AUX conversions from EBAY. What crappy sound through the AUX. My kid and I both agreed it sounded like it was playing through a toilet. No highs and muddy lows... Getting a full refund from OneFactoryRadio on this hunk of junk. If you've considered going that route, don't, because their tech told me that the way Chrysler does their pre-amp makes it impossible for them to achieve better sound with the AUX input.

Just installed a Sony MEX-BT4000 from Wally.

Great sound, USB and AUX input, Pandora, Bluetooth, and bluetooth phone handsfree. My recommendation would be to order the install kit off of EBAY. Get a Scosche or other reputable brand, and you'll need an antenna adapter and a wiring adapter. $40 at wally for all it, but could be had on EBAY for less than $15 shipped, except I was in a hurry.

I do like the Sony, but there is one drawback, and if I'd have known, I'd have spent the extra $10 and gotten the MEX-BT5000. This allows you to change the dash colors. Not that I'm into pimping my ride with colors, but Blue and Red are the only options on the MEX-BT4000 and are annoying at night, other colors would have likely been better.

Also keep in mind that relatively few aftermarket stereos autodim with the headlights.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:29 am 
LOST Newbie

We just did this on our limited. Did the research on Crutchfield as they give a good description of installation.
Bought a very conservative Blaupunkt with all bells and whistles. Came to like $124.00 and Crutchfield includes the installation kit for free.
I went to Amazon after checking up and reading about the speakers on Crutchfield. Amazon was less expensive. Went with Polk speakers with cross overs and tweeters. You don't need to go with the tweeters separately but I like them. polk's are good sound quality. Went with Infinity speakers in the rear. Crutchfield shows you how to install the speakers using the factory wiring or you can be a masochist and completely rewire the car for the speakers. We still need to do this for the rears, but the fronts are very easy.
I chose not to go with the repair on the speakers as they were missing all the surround around the paper cones and frankly, after they get this old, the factory speakers are not going to be a comparison against new speakers.
Before I did any of these repairs to the old, paper speakers, I'd hit up a picknpull and find some used speakers that have decent cones. I've done that as well when money is short. Same with the radios. The yard pulls some decent radios out of the cars with the plugs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:31 am 
LOST Newbie

I just completed a small upgrade on my daughters 2006 Limited.

I bought a pair of these JBL 662S speakers:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_122 ... P662s.html

Since the CRD has the Infinity system, I had to move the amps, I followed the guide here:

http://caraudiotips.blogspot.com/2013/0 ... ystem.html

The sound improvement was amazing. She wanted to keep the existing head unit (RB1 Navigation).

I did the speakers in the back with the same JBL's, but don't recommend it, they need more power to them to sound right. I put them in one at a time in the back to see the difference, and it was minor at best. They rock in the front doors though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:02 pm 
LOST Member

lars0247 wrote:
Bought one of the Chrysler RBK Radio AUX conversions from EBAY. What crappy sound through the AUX. My kid and I both agreed it sounded like it was playing through a toilet. No highs and muddy lows... Getting a full refund from OneFactoryRadio on this hunk of junk. If you've considered going that route, don't, because their tech told me that the way Chrysler does their pre-amp makes it impossible for them to achieve better sound with the AUX input.

Just installed a Sony MEX-BT4000 from Wally.

Great sound, USB and AUX input, Pandora, Bluetooth, and bluetooth phone handsfree. My recommendation would be to order the install kit off of EBAY. Get a Scosche or other reputable brand, and you'll need an antenna adapter and a wiring adapter. $40 at wally for all it, but could be had on EBAY for less than $15 shipped, except I was in a hurry.

I do like the Sony, but there is one drawback, and if I'd have known, I'd have spent the extra $10 and gotten the MEX-BT5000. This allows you to change the dash colors. Not that I'm into pimping my ride with colors, but Blue and Red are the only options on the MEX-BT4000 and are annoying at night, other colors would have likely been better.

Also keep in mind that relatively few aftermarket stereos autodim with the headlights.

Regarding the antenna adapter, I found that there is a junction in the antenna cable near the fender well where the chrysler cable plugs into a regular antenna jack. So, you don't need an adapter, but you'll need an extension.

Cummins Lift Pump
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
DIY Rebuilt Tranny Pump
Suncoast Torque Converter
2nd Generation Fuel Head
Sears P1 Battery
Hot Diesel Solutions Thermostat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:38 am 
LOST Member

This is what I did and I use my smart phone to listen to Pandora

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-Jeep-Dodge-Car-Truck-Radio-02-07-AM-FM-CD-Player-Aux-Input-iPod-Android-/400757138833

1993 C3500 Chevy 6.5 Turbo Diesel
1984 C7500 Chevy Flat Bed 366 gas
1987 R25 Chevy 350 gas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:13 am 
LOST Newbie

i got one of these chinese android stereos

and a double din adapter ..... i'll let you know how it works when i get it installed

2" OME lift
30x10.5-15 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R tires
Jeepin by Al front upper control arms
Green Diesel Engineering ‘Hot’ tune
Suncoast torque converter
and so much more

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:05 pm 
LOST Addict

I purchase this last spring to replace my RB1 and infinity system. It doesn't have HD radio I was looking for SiriusXM but it does have everything else you asked for. I paired it with Kenwood 6.5 inch speakers. I am very pleased with it.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SXM145B ... ml?tp=5684

for HD built in in Alpine this would work. it doesn't come with an XM tuner but you could add one.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500HD148BT ... ml?tp=5684