It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Piston ring install problems on the VM 2.8
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:24 am 
LOST Newbie

Hello folks, I just picked up a 2005 kj with engine issues. I bought this rig after years of happy ownership of multiple VW tdi's. I now need a vehicle I can use for hunting, exploring Oregon's backwoods and the normal family jaunts. I bought this KJ that had been fixed up a bit with a lift, bumper and a bunch of the usual mods. I'lkl post some pic's once I get her back together. I bought it with the head off and partially diagnosed.
It appears that it was leaking coolant on the #4 cylinder. #4 had a fairly scored sleeve and the rings were pretty fouled up with oil and sut. I have removed and replaced the liners, rings #4 piston and rod bearings.
My problem is that I have broken the very delicate oil ring a couple times now. I was trying to install by hand without a ring compressor. My plan is to rent the type from Oreilly's that rolls up tight around the rings and piston this go around. Have any of you experienced this ring being super brittle and easy to break? any recommendations???

Also, How do you press in and out the piston end rod bushing's anybody have a correct method.

ORM -cat, muffler
4" lift, locking diff, a-arms
ARB bumper and warn winch
Electric Radiator Fan
Hot Wheel turbo
Fresh Rebuild after near death head gasket coolant leak
Lift Pump

Located in The Gorge Oregon

Post subject: Re: Piston ring install problems on the VM 2.8
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

quickcut wrote:
Hello folks, I just picked up a 2005 kj with engine issues. I bought this rig after years of happy ownership of multiple VW tdi's. I now need a vehicle I can use for hunting, exploring Oregon's backwoods and the normal family jaunts. I bought this KJ that had been fixed up a bit with a lift, bumper and a bunch of the usual mods. I'lkl post some pic's once I get her back together. I bought it with the head off and partially diagnosed.
It appears that it was leaking coolant on the #4 cylinder. #4 had a fairly scored sleeve and the rings were pretty fouled up with oil and sut. I have removed and replaced the liners, rings #4 piston and rod bearings.
My problem is that I have broken the very delicate oil ring a couple times now. I was trying to install by hand without a ring compressor. My plan is to rent the type from Oreilly's that rolls up tight around the rings and piston this go around. Have any of you experienced this ring being super brittle and easy to break? any recommendations???

Also, How do you press in and out the piston end rod bushing's anybody have a correct method.

Welcome to the forum
Read thru this, where you will also find the link to the '05 and '06 KJ Field Service Manuals for easy downloading:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54207

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

The only prob is the abyss states using a special VM tool. I'm hoping for a less expensive method. Thx for the direction to the manuals though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

LISLE (LYSLE ?) and others, incl HARBOR FREIGHT, offer rod-bushing drifts and piston-ring expanders in various sizes at very low pricing, way below Miller, OTC, and other oem suppliers - can be found on-line and in most auto-parts emporiums

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

Last edited by gmctd on Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

Harbor freight sells a piston ring compressor that coils up around the piston. It worked great for me. Good luck using anything else, those oil rings have a ton of pressure. The Harbor freight tool makes this a joke.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

The picture shows the same tool that is available for rent at the auto parts store. Looks like I will give that a try. Thx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

Image.
Are there 2 of these on your guy's head's? I only have one. And see they the exact same?
Thx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:15 am 
LOST Newbie

The tool above worked out and I do believe there are two of those oil passages. FYI

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

quickcut wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

Have a question. 05 card abs module is toast will that affect the fuelmilage and spedo reading . dodge does not make module for 2.8 anymore, just wondering