It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: differential - transfercase
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello all -

Have read many differences of opinion on differential oil.
Synthetic or regular oil..

I also wasn't sure, since someone told me the rear needed some additive along with the oil.. is this true?
I always thought if it was limited slip that you just use limited-slip oil [old school thinking]. I can find no documents indicating if my rear has limited-slip... How do I know? What is best to use? Ill have to do this soon.

ALSO - is it true the transfer-case uses ATF+4 ?? - ..I wish these CRD's had manual transmissions? :roll:

Thanks again..

Home of the dr5 process - http://www.dr5.com

Post subject: Re: differential - transfercase
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:07 pm 
LOST Addict

I started off with synthetic and switched when my pinion seal started to leak. Not looked back.

You have LSD on that '05 and will need the additive. The '06 came with ESP.

ATF+4 for the transfer case.

Agreed, a manual would have been my first choice and avoided yet another of the weak links in the vehicle.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Synthetics are selected because reduced viscosity should effect improved fuel economy, an all-important consideration in today's automotive markets

ATF has been used in transfer cases since back in the '70's with the HD cast-iron 205-series in the big GM trucks, resulting in no excessive wear'n'tear - plus, they operated cooler due to reduced ATF viscosity vs the 80-90wt gearbox oils previously spec'ed - less rotational\meshing resistance also resulted in reduced overhead in power required to drive the big geartrain

ATF+4 is same as spec'ed for the 545RFE slush-box, so no need to store two separate lubes

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

thanks.. dirt - didnt see your post before -

should I buy a gear oil that says limited-slip-oil?
IDparts doesnot seem to sell a separate additive.

regards, dw

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:28 pm 
LOST Addict

You need to check your VIP report to get all the original build specs. Most '05s did NOT come with a TracLoc, clutch-type LSD. If you do have one, the clutches wear out within 50K miles. Your can make it and your R&P last as long as possible by using SWEPCO 212 (Dino with moly). No additive needed. If you have an open diff, the same lube will maximize longevity. If you need a LSD, best option is a Detroit TrueTrac. No clutches to wear out. Same lube is best.

Synthetics lack shear strength needed for hypoid gears.

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:08 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

DOC4444 wrote:
You need to check your VIP report to get all the original build specs. Most '05s did NOT come with a TracLoc, clutch-type LSD. If you do have one, the clutches wear out within 50K miles. Your can make it and your R&P last as long as possible by using SWEPCO 212 (Dino with moly). No additive needed. If you have an open diff, the same lube will maximize longevity. If you need a LSD, best option is a Detroit TrueTrac. No clutches to wear out. Same lube is best.

Synthetics lack shear strength needed for hypoid gears.
Correct for synthetic motor oils and gear-box oils, which should not be used in hypoid scenarios

Synthetics for hypoid use have different long-chain molecule blends than those for motor oils and are entirely suitable for use as spec'ed on container

Switching back and forth between dino and syn will usually require replacing in-service seals due to lower viscosity synthetic ability to seep past worn seal lip - similar to electing to reuse seal because it wasn't leaking B4: dino will always leak with previously-owned seals

DOC

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:41 am 
LOST Junkie

dr5chrome wrote:
Hello all -

Have read many differences of opinion on differential oil.
Synthetic or regular oil..

I also wasn't sure, since someone told me the rear needed some additive along with the oil.. is this true?
I always thought if it was limited slip that you just use limited-slip oil [old school thinking]. I can find no documents indicating if my rear has limited-slip... How do I know? What is best to use? Ill have to do this soon.

ALSO - is it true the transfer-case uses ATF+4 ?? - ..I wish these CRD's had manual transmissions? :roll:

Thanks again..

Our Export CRDs have always had the option...from 2003...of manual or automatic boxes. Newer CRDS have a six speed manual box...my older 2002 2.5 L CRD has a 5 speed box. Trouble is the manual CRDs only come with the Command Trac part time transfer case...not the better Select Trac full time....something to do with the Select Trac not handling the vibration from the diesel engine! :shock:

I doubt you have Trac Loc LSD fitted at the rear...check your build sheet but when you replace the rear oil you will in any case have to remove the diff cover and RTV it back in place.....while it is open you can have a good look to see if it has the Trac Loc clutches fitted.

My 2002 has the 4.10 diff with Trac Loc....I replaced the rear diff fluid with Dino 85 if I remember correctly and first put in the Mopar Friction Modifier for Trac Loc. The Trac Loc has a bad reputation for reliability but I have had no problems at all but then again I do not off-road at all......mainly highway driving with street Michelin tires.

I would prefer to have a newer 2.8 CRD with Auto from a comfort point of view and for the Select Trac transfer case and the Euro Torque Convertor we get but it seems to me that the newer auto boxes are too complicated with their computer controlled valves and give a fair amount of problems...this 2002 manual 5 speed 2.5 CRD Sport will have to last me for a few more years! :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:13 am 
LOST Newbie

Have only owned 'simple jeeps' in the past - My last, a 98 Cherokee. Usually always a manual.
The past service stated the rear needed the mopar additive, but now i'm not sure. I picked up a bottle just in case I needed it.
I am fairly sure the prior owner was conservative, and stuck to the owners manual, which indicates synh gear oil is to be used.
Ill bet the axle oils have never been changed, so I need to do it asap.

my build spec's -

We are pleased to provide vehicle build information per your request.
According to our records, your vehicle was equipped from the factory with the following:
Sales Code Description
*N5 Cloth High-Back Bucket Seats
-D5 Med Slate Gray
AHMP Convenience Group I
AHT Trailer Tow Group
AJPS Power Convenience Group
APAS Monotone Paint
AWS Smoker's Group
A46P 2.8LTD Eng(ENR)/5Spd A/T 545RFE(DGQ) BAZS 136 Amp Alternator BCVP 700 Amp Maintenance Free Battery BRYP Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc Brakes CF5S 2nd Row Buckets, Power Fold/Tumble CGUS Child Seat Anchor System-LATCH Ready CG3S Advanced Multistage Front Air Bags CKCP Floor Carpet CKNS Cargo Compartment Carpet CKTS Cargo Tie Down Loops CK3S Plastic Swing Gate Trim Panel CLES Front & Rear Floor Mats CLHP Cargo Trim Panel w/Storage Net CSRS Passenger Assist Handles CSWS Driver Assist Handle CTLS Base Door Trim Panel CUFS Full Length Floor Console CUKP Removable Ash Tray DGES All 5-Speed Automatic Transmissions DGQ 5-Spd Automatic 545RFE Transmission DHAP Lock-Up Torque Converter DHPP Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD System DJJS Dana 30/186MM Front Axle DMEP 3.73 Rear Axle Ratio DRAS Corporate 8.25 Rear Axle ENR 2.8L I4 Turbo Diesel Engine GBBS Tinted Windshield Glass GCBS Front Door Tinted Glass GEGP Deep Tint Sunscreen Glass GEKS Flipper Swing Gate Glass GFAS Rear Window Defroster GNAS Rear View Day/Night Mirror GNCP Sun Visors w/Illum Vanity Mirrors GT9P Power Mirrors, Fold-Away GVBC All Vehicles W/Power Mirrors GXMP Remote Keyless Entry GXXP Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System HAAS Air Conditioning I52S Route 52 - UP, Spokane, WA JAYS Instrument Cluster w/Tach JCBS 120 MPH Primary Speedometer JHAS Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers JHBS Rear Window Wiper/Washer JJAP Cigar Lighter JJBS Dual Note Electric Horns JJJS 12V Auxiliary Power Outlet JJMP Auxiliary 12-Volt Rear Power Outlet JKYS Power Accessory Delay JPHP Speed Sensitive Power Locks JPYS Pwr Windows, Front 1-Touch Down K1LS Med. GRAY - Molding - Bodyside, Acc K3LS Med. GRAY - Fender Flares LACP Illuminated Entry LCDP Map/Dome Reading Lamps LDBP Cargo Compartment Lamp LHDS Headlamp Off Time Delay LMAS Halogen Headlamps LNJP Fog Lamps LPSS CHMSL Lamp LSES Enhanced Accident Response System MDAS Front License Plate Bracket MFKS Body Color Grille MLCS Gray Fascias MT2S Trail Rated Badge MVCS Jeep Badge MVDS 4X4 Badge MWES Side Roof Rails MZRP Common Rail Diesel Badge NAA Federal Emissions NB1P Federal Tier 2, Bin 10 Emissions NFPS 20.5 Gallon Fuel Tank NHKP Engine Block Heater NHMP Speed Control PBJ Atlantic Blue Pearl Coat QBJS Atlantic Blue Pearl Coat RAAC All Radio Equipped Vehicles RBKS AM/FM Compact Disc Radio w/Chgr Ctrl RCGS 6 Speakers RDDS Fixed Long Mast Antenna RSA Sirius Satellite Radio SBAS Power Rack and Pinion Steering SCGP Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel SDAS Jeep IS43 Suspension SUAS Tilt Steering Column TBBS Full Size Spare Tire TBRS Outside Tire Carrier TR7S P225/75R16 OWL All Season Tires TZAP Goodyear Brand Tires WKBS Matching Spare Wheel WLDP 16X7.0 Lux Aluminum Wheels WLZC All Aluminum Wheels XCAS Occupant Classification System XFJP Class III Receiver Hitch XFKP 7 Pin Wiring Harness XFLP 7 to 4 Pin Wiring Adaptor XGGS Grocery Bag Hooks XJFS Tethered Fuel Filler Cap XPFS Protective Coating and Remover X95P Call SIRIUS to Activate@888-539-7474 X97P 1-Year Service Provided by SIRIUS YAAS Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:17 am 
LOST Member

For what it's worth (admittedly, not much) I changed my rear differential oil this weekend after 55K miles. I've been running the amsoil 75w-140 synthetic oil. It looked the same coming out as it did going in (brown, but still pretty clear). I replaced with the same.

I also did my transfer case and transmission with Valvoline full synth ATF+4. That also had been in there for 55K. It was starting to discolor a little bit. No gunk in the pan though. I keep a magnet on the outside of the transmission pan and no gunk around that either.

Samco Hose Kit
Fumoto 102
Etecno1 GX3123 Steel 7V Glow Plugs
GDE FT Eco and Hot Tunes
JBA 4.5 UCAs
OME Lift