It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bad Engine?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:09 pm 
LOST Addict

I've heard of a good number of these cracked heads now. I sure hope this isn't a trend. I wonder if it's linked to the uneven head bolt pressure. I'll start a new thread...

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:39 pm 
LOST Member

Mine isn't the head...it's the block that appears cracked.

1992 Dodge Stealth RT Twin Turbo Pearl White/Black Leather
2008 Kubota GR2110 Diesel
2006 Key West 186 Sportsman w/135HP Honda OB
1943 Farmall H Restored

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:37 pm 
LOST Addict

oops, I meant block :banghead:

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:17 pm 
LOST Addict

jrsavoie wrote:
thermorex wrote:
Mountainman wrote:
[quote="canonoch1"]I am in SW Oregon and unlike the east coast our winter has been dry ( way to dry ) and warm our nights lately been in the upper 20's low 30's. I use m Mobile 1 5W-30 oil. during the week after work I'll get the valve cover off and start checking the rockers. if the engine is done then it just my time in checking it out. Bad part I still owe on it and gonne need to save mony to buy the parts :cry:

Oops, my bad Jrsavoie, I was asking the OP about his oil. Is that the Mobile one Turbo Diesel 5w-30?

Mobil 1 td truck synthetic comes in 5w40, not 5w30. I think jrsavoie used a non synthetic amsoil, am I right?

No. The Amsoil is a full synthetic 5w30 heavy duty diesel engine oil - I have used this in all of my GM 6.5 diesel engines since the 1990's

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g1301.pdf

I use Amsoil European formula that is recommended by Amsoil tech services for the 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD. They have both a 5w40 and 5w30 blend

https://www.google.com/search?q=Amsoil+ ... 3&ie=UTF-8[/quote]

Jrsavoie, you made my day, thanks for the link. I'll definitely look into getting it for winter.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:49 am 
LOST Newbie

sorry been gone for awhile finally getting around to the tear down. and finally got enough money to buy the parts. Since I am close to 100K service I am also doing the timing belt, water pump, and glow plugs as well.

to answer correctly a earlier statement and question. I use Mobile 1 5W-40 full syn. Diesel Truck oil.

I got into the rockers tonight and found 3 rollers locked up. going to take the rocker cover into work tomorrow and clean it and I got all 16 new rockers soaking in oil right now.

Why in the hell are the cam gears not keyed in.

170lbs English Mastiff loves whip cream on his treats (it is his jeep too)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:54 am 
LOST Junkie

This thread got me thinking....

A few years ago I had my oil pressure light come on a couple times while at a stop light..., as soon as I pulled away it went out. I pulled over, checked oil and it was fine. I decided to change the oil and filter anyway and then if it reoccurred start trouble shooting the issue. The oil change and filter solved the issue.

I assumed the oil filter I had been using was bad (pretty sure it was the old Motorcraft fl400 before they shortened it, I could use them on two of my vehicles so it was easy) and didn't give it much more thought. I have been using T6 oil for ages and mobil 0-40 prior (except first 15,000 miles when the dealer was putting 15-50 dino in as part of the free oil changes...I was less than impressed when I found out)

Any possibility that the oil filters are playing a role in the rocker issues? If they aren't holding enough backpressure (or whatever it is called).

I am handy and not afraid to take on many things mechanical but I am by not way even a decent shade tree mechanic, this is a WAG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

Finially back up and running and the Rockers were junk.

170lbs English Mastiff loves whip cream on his treats (it is his jeep too)