It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Accelerator pedal -no vroom vroom
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

Had two reports from my son (principle driver) that he had TWO random instances of applying the accelerator pedal, after a dead stop and the engine did nothing....it just idled nicely as if never having received any orders to accelerate from the pedal.

Does the APPS receive electronic input from the pedal?

Is this a common issue and if so, where should I start looking??

Thanks!!

Post subject: Re: Accelerator pedal -no vroom vroom
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:47 pm 
LOST Member

Sounds like a failing apps. I haven't looked at mine but all modern Mopars are equipped with pedal mounted apps.

I'd probably hook up a diagnostic scanner and see if there are any related codes and go for a test drive to see if you are getting any signal when this "dead pedal" happens.

He doesn't ride the brake, does he? If so, there will be a stored code. Chrysler calls it the two footed driver code (I don't remember the number) and it causes the ecu to cut power.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:54 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Don't know when it started but 05 and more recent CRDs have "electronic" go pedals which lack a physical connection to the carburetor or diesel equivalent. Instead the pedal has 2 redundant sensors. Here is where I get a bit fuzzy so take what I say with an appropriate grain of salt a) the system will clearly work if both sensors are ok and agree on go pedal position, b) if one sensor totally fails I think the system will work but would expect a CEL, but c) I don't know what would happen if the sensors do not agree on go pedal position. I know some vehicles have a two footed driver cutout like olypopper mentions but whether or not the 05 or later CRD does I do not know.

Check two footed driving and look for codes.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:58 am 
LOST Newbie

I'm curious if this problem ever got solved. I have an '05 with stage II GDE turbo, Geordi just fixed the timing (thanks!), which apparently only fixed half the problem; when it goes, it goes fine, little or no smoke, no bad valve train noises, power is appropriate. Trouble is getting it to give fuel to the motor; often pressing the accelerator to the floor produces no response; it just idles happily along, or gives just enough fuel to bring the RPM's up to 1500 or so. Stomp on the accelerator a couple times, and it will usually work OK for a while, with appropriate throttle response. Cruises at 65 with no complaints. Fuel delivery is normal at these times, so I can't see it being fuel filter. It has gen 2 fuel head. What do y'all think? Replace the throttle position sensor(s)? Is that just a matter of the accelerator pedal assembly? Geordi? Papaindigo? Anyone else?