It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: what Glow plugs are best? opinions
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:21 pm 
LOST Addict

I'm planning to replace some things in the Jeep.
1. installing the elbow kit i bought months ago.
2. new turbo hoses. I pre- ordered the IDparts set.
3. New glow plugs - I still have 7v Bosch Ceramic

I will need a reflash for the elbow kit since my ECO tune has been in since Sept. 2010 and I did not purchase that programer box. (should have)

Keith says the Bosch 5v are generally better than the E techno 7v based on online reviews. what is everyone Else's opinion. based on starting performance and longevity?

If I have the update to the tune for the elbow and glow plugs together they can be set up with one ECU flash. so the only cost difference is the addition of the new controller to use the 5v Bosch plugs.

Post subject: Re: what Glow plugs are best? opinions
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have the GDE hot tune with 7 volt Etechno they seam fine down to 10F then below that its better to have block heater plugged in...but it will start just did a cold start the other night after a 12 hour day at work came out and it was -1F out (no wind) took 1 try ran on a couple of cylinders then the rest caught seconds later.

Here is my video at 8F but the wind was blowing all night long after a 10 hour sit time no block heater took 3 tries...no foot on gas peddle...no key tricks all you got to do is just put the key in and wait until all the lights stop flashing and the bell to dinging then start it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaMsoKv9wLY

Weeks Intake, Samco hoses, 2nd gen fuel head, EHM, Fumoto 102, Mobil 1 5W-40 TDT-oil, M1-301, Inline 195 T-stat, GX3123 7V Steel
Jeep = Just Empty Every Pocket

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:29 am 
LOST Addict

Wow thanks for the video. Starting performance is what I'm worried about. I know I should switch to steel glow plugs due to the risk of ceramic breaking. Steels seem to be not as good as the ceramic are. Mine starts at 0 with less fuss than that with out being plugged in now as long as I have a good battery.

So fat no on has said good or bad about the 5v Bosch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:04 pm 
LOST Member

The best starting plugs are the OEM 7V ceramics. Period.

I have the 5V steel and below 15F or so starts get really difficult. Below zero is a no-go unless it is plugged in for a long period of time. 7V Etecnos don't seem to be much better.

There isn't any good option. Either take the life of your engine in your hands or commit to needing this thing plugged in all the time. I'm working with a few GP manufacturers to try to get a third (better) option, but, manufacturing is a slow process. You can look at additional heater options like the intake heater from Sasquatch, too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:42 pm 
LOST Addict

mikey1273 wrote:
I know I should switch to steel glow plugs due to the risk of ceramic breaking. Steels seem to be not as good as the ceramic are.

This was the whole point of the ceramics, hot and fast. Unfortunately the reward/risk equation didn't work out favourably.

cevans wrote:
There isn't any good option. Either take the life of your engine in your hands or commit to needing this thing plugged in all the time. I'm working with a few GP manufacturers to try to get a third (better) option, but, manufacturing is a slow process.

Looking forward to seeing what you can come op with.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:38 pm 
LOST Junkie

cevans wrote:
The best starting plugs are the OEM 7V ceramics. Period.

I have the 5V steel and below 15F or so starts get really difficult. Below zero is a no-go unless it is plugged in for a long period of time. 7V Etecnos don't seem to be much better.

There isn't any good option. Either take the life of your engine in your hands or commit to needing this thing plugged in all the time. I'm working with a few GP manufacturers to try to get a third (better) option, but, manufacturing is a slow process. You can look at additional heater options like the intake heater from Sasquatch, too.

I agree with Corey. In terms of performance, the 7V ceramics are the best (but carry a risk factor), the 5V steel are the next best (I mean worst??) with Etecno being the worst (they may be fine for warmer climates though) with a seemingly high failure rate.

We have been testing our intake heater kit alongside 5V glow plugs all winter long and it has been a life saver on more than one occasion, but below 0F (-18C) a second battery really is required. We will be working on a dual battery set-up in time for next winter, but there certainly isn't much room to work with.

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Unscientific anecdotal chat indicates neither of the steel GPs are as good at cold starts as the OEM ceramics. As to durability of the steels best I can say is the same chat strongly suggests a single batch problem with the Etecno1s as all the reported failures were soon after installation and in a narrow time frame and as far as I know replacements of the part was handled by warranty no questions asked.

Stoutdog and I both have Etecno1s - one set a direct purchase quite some time ago (e.g. long before install) and the other set supplied to me by a forum member who needed replacements "right now" so I swapped him my set for ones he ordered - installed in Dec. 2013. No problems with mine by miles driven are extremely low and winter's not that cold here. Stoutdog's are doing fine as far as I know with many more miles and most of a Nebraska winter to test starting ability. He plugs in over night but not at work so after work has lots of starts in the +single digits F.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:49 pm 
LOST Member

It seems to me that no one had engine issues with the ceramics until a fault code was received. As long as they were replaced reasonably soon chances of engine damage was nil. Any collective data from steel glow plugs from the south is useless. Best options in the northern states for all plugs is to plug in when you can if temps are below 30F to save stress on the engine.

I still have my ceramic plugs and will use until a fault is received. At that time I will put in my reserve ceramic set.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:57 am 
LOST Addict

I am happy to see that I started a good discussion on this topic. I want to protect my engine from a catastrophic failure like ingesting a bit from a broken glow plug. I am just worried about starting performance. I probably can't plug in the heater at work. I can at home but it means stringing up extension cords from my basement about 75 feet because my old house has no outside outlets. I don't like to do that for trip hazard reasons and the other electrical issues with long cords there can be.

I had major starting issues last winter due to a crappy quality battery from Advance Auto parts, it wouldn't even start plugged in all night if it was under 20F. Since I have the Diehard Platinum P1 its been no problem. Yesterday I started with really no trouble at -9f and it was not plugged in at all. I even posted a video of it on youtube for the cold start contest with IDparts. I still have the 7v ceramic with no error codes..
http://youtu.be/rn1uAOgLg4I
the Intake heater would be cool to have but I have a Weeks egr/fcv valve delete elbow ready to install, plus its a pricey extra. Not sure I need that, but the last few winters in south central PA have had some freaky cold weeks. Seems to me my plan for next winter is going to be putting an outlet on the back of the house near my parking area so plugging in is easier and safer.

as far as plug performance I'm getting the idea that the 7v Etechno is a little but hotter but maybe not as reliable as the Bosch 5v Chrysler recommends. I really still am not sure witch is best to go with. The cost difference is under $50 thats not a lot in reality here. I'm more leaning to the Bosch for reliability... once done I don't want to do it over and over if they go out.

Last edited by mikey1273 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:54 am 
LOST Junkie

mikey1273 wrote:
I still have the 7v ceramic with no error codes.

If I were you, I would keep the ceramics until you get a fault code, then replace ASAP with Bosch 5V (have the replacements on hand so you are ready). If you have an elbow kit, glow plug access is a lot easier. Your Jeep will not start like it did in your video once you switch to steel.

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:42 pm 
LOST Addict

Thanks,

I have not got around to installing the elbow since I got it months ago. I doubt I will get to it if I have to do it myself until spring and weather is better to work outside. I will need a flash to use the elbow since my GDE tune is older. Was thinking it would be easier if I choose 5v plugs to do it all in one flash.

I'm a little shy about pulling the ceramic plugs on my own. what is the risk of breaking them when removing them?
I am ok with normal vehicle maintenance. I do all the oil and filter changes on the Jeep. I have done spark plugs on many gas cars I have owned. If its not much different than that I can handle it.

As far as less starting performance I can accept less if I'm prepared to deal with it and plug in when needed. if it will still start at -9 like in my video plugged in all night fine... even if I need to cycle the key a few times to work them a few times before starting is ok. I just don't want to be stuck with a no start situation. its a shame there is nothing that works as good as the Original Bosch 7v, really I think with a good strong battery mine starts up great now its too bad to have to give that up.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:30 pm 
LOST Member

Mikey, I was amazed at how well yours started at -9F. I don't think mine would start at that temp and I still have the ceramic glow plugs. I do have the original battery, at least original to me and I've had the liberty for almost 4 yrs. I noticed your glow plug light stays on for a while. Mine is only on for a flash when you turn the key.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:39 pm 
LOST Junkie

mikey1273 wrote:
Thanks,

I have not got around to installing the elbow since I got it months ago. I doubt I will get to it if I have to do it myself until spring and weather is better to work outside. I will need a flash to use the elbow since my GDE tune is older. Was thinking it would be easier if I choose 5v plugs to do it all in one flash.

I'm a little shy about pulling the ceramic plugs on my own. what is the risk of breaking them when removing them?
I am ok with normal vehicle maintenance. I do all the oil and filter changes on the Jeep. I have done spark plugs on many gas cars I have owned. If its not much different than that I can handle it.

As far as less starting performance I can accept less if I'm prepared to deal with it and plug in when needed. if it will still start at -9 like in my video plugged in all night fine... even if I need to cycle the key a few times to work them a few times before starting is ok. I just don't want to be stuck with a no start situation. its a shame there is nothing that works as good as the Original Bosch 7v, really I think with a good strong battery mine starts up great now its too bad to have to give that up.

So, order the 5V plugs and module, keep your elbow on-hand until you feel like doing it or you get a fault code. Keith typically does tunes the same day (you email him your stock tune, and he emails you the modified tune), just specify you are switching to 5V plugs.

You do read horror stories about the ceramic glow plugs, but remember people who don't have any issues changing them out typically don't go make a thread about it. Hit them all with penetrating lube, plug the block heater in for a few hours before doing the job and things should go fine for you. As long as you do not delay after getting a fault code, that is when bad things can happen.

Hopefully Corey can come through on some effective, affordable glow plugs. Unfortunately so far we are limited to off-the-shelf parts...the big OEMs require very large order quantities to make anything custom cost-effective.

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:25 pm 
LOST Addict

joelukex4 wrote:
Mikey, I was amazed at how well yours started at -9F. I don't think mine would start at that temp and I still have the ceramic glow plugs. I do have the original battery, at least original to me and I've had the liberty for almost 4 yrs. I noticed your glow plug light stays on for a while. Mine is only on for a flash when you turn the key.

Thanks I am often suprised how well it does. The key to a good cold start for me seems to be patience with the first glow plug warm up. That and having a battery with a good strong charge. Like I said I had horrible starting issues last winter with or with out the block heater and the only difference this year is the battery. We had a -2 day the other week and it was also very windy which it wasn't in the -9 video. It seemed like it was a tiny bit more difficult on the windy day to me.

As to the plugs I will just order the set and then the GDe tune and get the tuner box and keep it this time. I rented it last time and I thing that was a mistake. Should have kept it

Post subject: what Glow plugs are best? opinions
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:44 am 
LOST Addict

In my opinion every Diesel engine benefits tremendously from a dual battery setup in cold weather. Is it a must do? Definitely not, but it's a very good upgrade, especially if you don't have the option of plugging in the block heater. In blistering cold weather, provided the fuel is properly treated, it boosts the cold start chances by a huge margin. With weeks heater kit I have started my Crd on -10F very easy (real-10, no windchill). I have the 7v etecno plugs and I wait till dings/chimes stop. I leave the heater on for about 2 min, then I turn ignition on till dings clear, then stop the heater (I've noticed that the engine turns faster this way), crank, and turn back on the heater once engine started for another 2-3 minutes (you'll know when you can turn the heater off permanently based on the engine sound). So all these are with dual battery setup.

Regarding dual batteries, other than connecting them in parallel, there are some switches and gauges (mainly marine applications) that allow swapping between batteries, monitor each battery voltage independently while both batteries are connected and/or leaving both batteries connected. This is a great upgrade for testing the battery without disconnecting one of them. It may happen that one battery to go bad, or have a cell in short (happened on the Cherokee) and you'll still see 12+ volts on your combined batteries voltage but the jeep computers would go nuts due to the cell short, so a proper dual battery setup would require more that just the wiring and the extra battery. For example with one shorten battery the Cherokee would start but not idle, would throw all kind of mil codes that make no sense, not accelerate properly, etc. not sure how Crd would react but I'm pretty sure not better with all those computers it has...

Regarding glow plugs, definitely the ceramics are the best, not sure if there is any difference between metallic 7v and 5v, but I'd trust weeks as he's using his Crd on more extreme cold temperatures in arctic Minnesot-nuts...

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.