It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CRD will not start, attempts to start=suction at exhaust
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

My CRD isn't starting. My mechanically inclined husband looked it over and can't figure it out, but noticed suction at the tailpipe when I turn the key. Not only does the exhaust seem to be taking air in, but smoke comes out of air filter! The jeep seemed to work fine until I went to start it one morning earlier this week. He suspects either a computer issue or a major engine failure. Any suggestions on what to look for?

Post subject: Re: CRD will not start, attempts to start=suction at exhaust
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:02 pm 
LOST Member

Sounds like the timing belt is broke. After that, you will probably also need new rockers. Hopefully you did not damage the valves. Do not try to start again until you have checked on the timing belt.

2006 Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat
2006 Midnight Blue Pearlcoat
2006 Gold Limited
2015 Black Ecodiesel
2015 Black Ecodiesel 2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:08 pm 
LOST Addict

How many miles does it have?

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

It has a little over 200,000 but we just had the timing belt replaced a matter or months ago. :(

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:40 pm 
LOST Member

spartanjeep wrote:
It has a little over 200,000 but we just had the timing belt replaced a matter or months ago. :(

It's possible that the mechanic did not get the timing belt tensioner tightened to the proper torque and it came loose (or a loose cam gear). Either case would result in the engine being out of time. The intake valve could then be open during the compression stroke and blow air out the intake. This would probably still result in some rockers being damaged.

2006 Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat
2006 Midnight Blue Pearlcoat
2006 Gold Limited
2015 Black Ecodiesel
2015 Black Ecodiesel 2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

My husband just pointed out that I should have mentioned that it also had a dead battery when we tried to start it. We replaced the battery and then discovered this problem. Does this make a difference?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:44 pm 
LOST Addict

hmm, probably not, but have your husband pop the front time cover a crack and take a look inside. It should be obvious if it's the belt. I sure hope it's not the belt! Or, maybe you just need to haul it back to whoever did the belt, or better yet, a different outfit, and get evidence that he botched your engine so you can take him to small claims... Touch it and the evidence gets tarnished. You could be out a $5k repair bill otherwise

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks. I will have him look tonight. If it is the problem we'd be in a tough spot because the mechanic is someone we know. Not really close but close enough it would be tough to sue. They have legitimate shop and we paid over $1200 to have it done, so it wasn't a favor or anything, but still not looking forward to having to deal with it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:17 pm 
LOST Addict

spartanjeep wrote:
Thanks. I will have him look tonight. If it is the problem we'd be in a tough spot because the mechanic is someone we know. Not really close but close enough it would be tough to sue. They have legitimate shop and we paid over $1200 to have it done, so it wasn't a favor or anything, but still not looking forward to having to deal with it.

Hey, he clearly doesn't have the same feelings about your relationship since he didn't give you a break the price of this work so why the heck would you feel bad about filing a claim against him if he's screwed up?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:36 pm 
LOST Addict

That's one of those deals where you can give them a chance to make it right, and hopefully they do. And put some ARP head studs in there if you have to open it up, and then your head gasket will hold forever. Oh, and new rockers if any are worn.

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

We contacted the mechanic and he said not to touch it. We are taking it to his shop and he'll check the damage. If it is related to the timing belt that he changed he's going to take care of repair costs. If it's not related to the timing belt, I don't even know what we will do. I love this jeep, I am so sad that I can't drive it right now.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:13 pm 
LOST Addict

Just so you are informed about what else could have gone wrong. Even if all of the bolts and tensioner were set correctly, at that mileage, if any of the timing pulleys, the tensioner, or the water pump was not replaced, it could have caused this. If you opted to not replace any of them, it could be your fault. I'd want to be present when he takes the cover off if it was me, and it should be fairly obvious what came loose, or seized up.

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:17 am 
LOST Newbie

Months later the mechanic still has the Jeep. He says it needs new rockers but the timing belt was in perfect shape, that this is unrelated to the timing belt that he replaced. Shortly before we brought the jeep to him he opened an off-road business and stopped doing the day to day mechanic thing, which means he has been pushing us to the back burner. I'm about ready to flip out and tell the guy off. Every time we call we hear that it will be a while, he's working on something else. I've been driving my crummy old car and want my jeep back so badly.

Anyway, my husband and I no longer have faith in his work. Needless to say we won't be bringing anything back to him. I'm just wondering where to even take the Jeep since I no longer have a trustworthy mechanic.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:23 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Where are you located? I can come and work on it for you in your driveway, the first thing to do is get it back from this shop.

That said, my experience says this: If the timing belt was done by simple replacement and not re-positioning of the pulleys to reset from the previous belt stretching, then the timing belt WAS INDEED THE CAUSE even if it didn't break. The rockers are the designed failure point, and will fail if the timing is beyond spec and beyond the range that the engine allows.

If the engine is already disassembled to the rockers, I can save you a bundle on the labor cost. If the engine is still assembled, then the mechanic is talking out his arse in knowing if the rockers are the cause. You cannot check the rockers without disassembling the top of the engine.

I will send you a PM and we can talk about options.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.