It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: JBA 4" Lift on CRD...anybody have this???
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Getting tired of the OME ~2.25" lift...thinking of the JBA 4" with all the goodies.

(really want to do a SFA but don't want to spend $10K)

Any THOUGHTS???

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject: Re: JBA 4" Lift on CRD...anybody have this???
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:17 pm 
LOST Member

What dont you like about your OME? After I dig myself out of the hole they call an engine rebuild ill be looking at lifts too. I really like the idea of the JBA 2.5 or 4. Would love to see some pics if people have them!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I think the angle on the driver's side CV will cause it to die quickly.

look at the OME with clevis and top plate - you'll be about as much as stock CV's can take

you could probably do the trimmed CV joint - that Al sells for the 6 in gasser lift.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:46 pm 
LOST Addict

ATXKJ wrote:
I think the angle on the driver's side CV will cause it to die quickly.

look at the OME with clevis and top plate - you'll be about as much as stock CV's can take

you could probably do the trimmed CV joint - that Al sells for the 6 in gasser lift.

Yea I feel like the cost of the lift kinda skyrockets after 2.5". I am contemplating the 2.5" JBA lift for the convenience(you can set the front exactly where you want) and adjustability(new jba coilovers have adjustable rebound and damping), but then I keep going back to the fact that I could just do an OME with top plate and clevis with JBA 2.5" springs in the rear for like $1000 less.

Also the CV for the diesel is different but he still sells CRD specific ones

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:52 pm 
LOST Addict

DarbyWalters wrote:
Getting tired of the OME ~2.25" lift...thinking of the JBA 4" with all the goodies.

Any THOUGHTS???

So you are tired of your 2 inch lift and now you want a 4 inch lift?
What happens when you get tired of the 4 inch lift?
Then go 6 inches?
Then 8 ?
:P :P 8)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:02 am 
LOST Addict

flash7210 wrote:
DarbyWalters wrote:

Any THOUGHTS???

Then go 6 inches?
Then 8 ?

He'll get a helicopter, lol.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:38 am 
LOST Member

In this thread, tonycrd mentions the use of a limit strap to keep the halfshaft from going down too far. Unfortunately the image he posted is gone.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57949

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:52 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

flash7210 wrote:
DarbyWalters wrote:

Any THOUGHTS???

Then go 6 inches?
Then 8 ?

...yeah, I should be ashamed of myself for wanting any kind of change with a Jeep Liberty. That is what they said back in the day on JeepsUnlimited.com and others so many years ago. Wow, I guess I should have listened to them and not started L.O.S.T. either 8)

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:52 pm 
LOST Addict

DarbyWalters wrote:
flash7210 wrote:
DarbyWalters wrote:

Any THOUGHTS???

Then go 6 inches?
Then 8 ?

...yeah, I should be ashamed of myself for wanting any kind of change with a Jeep Liberty. That is what they said back in the day on JeepsUnlimited.com and others so many years ago. Wow, I guess I should have listened to them and not started L.O.S.T. either 8)

I'd say to surprise tj, see where it parks, get his front sfa and put some bricks under... :D. Seriously, I'd like the engine torque, having a kj Crd offroad rig sounds tempting even for me, and I am not a fan of KJ for offroad at all...

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:00 pm 
LOST Addict

I ran the JBA 4 inch in the rear. In the front I ran the UCA's and then stuck with the Frankenlifted front, but left the spacer used on the gas KJ's. This gave me 3.25 - 3.5 inches in front, depending on how much it sagged over time.

Here is the limiting strap I put on it to keep the CV alive:

It made plenty of noise, but it worked. This is all from memory, I sold it awhile back. It attached to the bottom arm and to the top of the strut assembly off a plate...

The stance was greatly improved:

Last edited by Pablo on Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:56 pm 
LOST Addict

Looks pretty good. Did you limit the down travel of the wheel so you protect the axles? Just curious what was your solution for such a tall lift.

Never mind, lol, just saw the 1st pic. It didn't load when I made the post...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:15 pm 
LOST Member

I'm looking at getting the 2.5 in JBA lift. Are there any addtl parts that i would need to buy? Is the brake line ext kit a reqt? I'm going to put 245/75/16 tires on moab rims on after the lift.

#1 2006 Silver CRD Limited, flipped spare tire, ASFIR skids, GDE TCM & Ecotune, blue SAMCOs, 5V glow plugs, Rotella T6, intank fuel pump, Gen2 fuel head, new crank sensor, JBA 2.5 in silver package, Provent and ARB bumper
#2 2006 Metallic Green Limited; currently DOA
#3 2005 Silver project; currently not running...don't judge me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:55 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Darby go for it, the adjustable coilover lift is the best riding / best handling way to go
Although not a CRD I've had 927s on the front of mine, 790s mixed with gasser Franky parts ( they said it couldn't be done so had to do it) , tested the Ironman and now have the JBA coilovers.
No comparison between them and a regular coil lift , plus you can dial in compression/ rebound and height

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:58 am 
LOST Newbie

CGMAN
I just received an Email from JBA my 2.5 Silver package has been shipped Fedex. I should see it soon.
I am replacing all the ball joints and tie rod ends while I am in there. The alignment shop will not have to replace anything so to save me money. They will usually find something else to replace.
kayaker2

2.5 JBA Coilover Silver Package
Mopar Rear A Arm
Good Year All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar 245/75R16
Samco Hoses
EGR Stage 2 Delete to install next

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:12 pm 
LOST Addict

CGman wrote:
I'm looking at getting the 2.5 in JBA lift. Are there any addtl parts that i would need to buy? Is the brake line ext kit a reqt? I'm going to put 245/75/16 tires on moab rims on after the lift.

I think if you get one of the higher end versions(they have bronze, silver, gold ,and platinum) of the 2.5" lift it may come with the brake lines, but they are not required at that height. You do need them for the 4". I also have been told that you dont NEED the JBA arms, especially since the coilovers are smaller diameter than the struts. My plan was to just get the bronze kit, and then if I go bigger or have alignment issues I will get the arms.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:35 pm 
LOST Addict

mass-hole wrote:
CGman wrote:

I think if you get one of the higher end versions(they have bronze, silver, gold ,and platinum) of the 2.5" lift it may come with the brake lines, but they are not required at that height. You do need them for the 4". I also have been told that you dont NEED the JBA arms, especially since the coilovers are smaller diameter than the struts. My plan was to just get the bronze kit, and then if I go bigger or have alignment issues I will get the arms.

Warning: I opted out on the JBA arms, and it rides good, but the balls joint boots are C R A P! The rubber boot for the Raybestos UCA's were cracked and almost leaking in 2000 miles. I should have just gone with the JBAs and been done with it. Now I'm out another alignment and the garbage UCA's I bought, not to mention all of the time. Anyone have a set of JBA UCA's for sale? :ALONE:

The ball joint sits at a pretty bad angle, which smashes the heck out of the boot, but I didn't expect it to crack so soon... This is with no clevis or top plate lift.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tommudd wrote:
Darby go for it, the adjustable coilover lift is the best riding / best handling way to go
Although not a CRD I've had 927s on the front of mine, 790s mixed with gasser Franky parts ( they said it couldn't be done so had to do it) , tested the Ironman and now have the JBA coilovers.
No comparison between them and a regular coil lift , plus you can dial in compression/ rebound and height

Sounds pretty promising...Think I need to replace my steering rack too (haven't inspected all the way but I think the two bushings are toast) and do the front brakes (freshen up). With JBA had a sale coming up!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:04 pm 
LOST Addict

DarbyWalters wrote:
tommudd wrote:

Sounds pretty promising...Think I need to replace my steering rack too (haven't inspected all the way but I think the two bushings are toast) and do the front brakes (freshen up). With JBA had a sale coming up!!!

Did you end up going with the JBA and did you do the Cut CV?

Do you only need to do a drivers side CV since the passenger side is longer?

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ended up going the semi-cheap route.

6 Conduit spacers (3 per side) to lift the front
JBA UCA's for better clearance/strength/alignment
4 rear upper spring isolator pads (2 per side) to lift the rear a bit
Also doing some Power Stop front brake rotors/pads/calipers while I am at it
Throw all my ASFIR Aluminum Skids (Engine and Tranny/Transfercase) back on
Then an alignment

Probably doing it next week. Hope to get a full inch front and rear...hope that satisfies me :SOMBRERO:
Don't think I will need to shave CVJoint Axle

I know that the lift will twist my arm for some new shoes...so I will have to decide if I will stay with 255/70/16's (Cooper Discovery AT3's) or maybe bump up in height to some 245/75/16s???

Pics will come after I finally find the time to install.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well as my Granddad used to say...Nothings Simple. Got the front an rear lifted with new LBJs and JBA UCA and the tire rubs the UCA. Had to order Mr Gasket 2370 wheel spacers to clear the UCA. Test fit them tomorrow. Found that the bushings on the rear Arm (boomerang) on both sides were toast. Probably where my clunking was coming from when I would accelerate. Should be able to wrap everything up tomorrow and get the alignment.