It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Newby, probably dumb questions
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:44 pm 
LOST Addict

cfeller wrote:
OK, so....tore into the timing belt....got in there and found that it's been done. Called the dealer and talked with the sales manager, who called the P/O who said it was done as well as the water pump. :furious: Also explained how my salesman neglected to get me this important information when asked....twice....politely. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

FYI, the ebay toolkit isn't any good, get the Miller tools. Not sure about the cam holding tool since I never got that far. Now to put it all back together and get the fuel head replaced.

Drewd- do you happen to have a part number for the Provent crankcase ventilation you recommended? Not having any luck locating it, but haven't spent much time on it yet either.

If you search idparts for "provent 200" you should find it there.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:21 pm 

A source where I got mine:
http://www.diesel-filters.com/3931070550-mann-filter-industrial-provent-200-si-industrial-off-highway/
Best price I could find at the time.... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:45 pm 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:

Yup, that's a great price. I paid on mine around 240-ish from Ebay, couldn't find it cheaper anywhere in 2009 or 2010 when I decided to get it...

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:40 am 
LOST Addict

Personally if I had to do it again I'd get the Provent 150. I think the size is better for our displacement, and the hose inlet/outlet are correctly sized for our existing hoses. No adapters necessary.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:18 am 
LOST Addict

CATCRD wrote:
Personally if I had to do it again I'd get the Provent 150. I think the size is better for our displacement, and the hose inlet/outlet are correctly sized for our existing hoses. No adapters necessary.

+1, we don't have a 5+ liter engine to warrant provent 200, plus you can barely find a place for it under the hood...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:06 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It displaces 2.8L at idle and Baro -

It becomes effectively a 5.6L engine off-idle at Baro + 15psi Boost

Provent must be sized to handle maximum volume displaced by engine

Checkout the size\type used on the 2.97L VM engine in this link (located on the driver's side, you'll notice it is combined with the 'puck' - may be a good option, if available):

Click on this link, then on the bottom link for the complete manual:
viewtopic.php?p=861026#p861026

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:14 pm 
LOST Addict

gmctd wrote:
It displaces 2.8L at idle and Baro -

It becomes effectively a 5.6L engine off-idle at Baro + 15psi Boost

Provent must be sized to handle maximum volume displaced by engine

Checkout the size\type used on the 2.97L VM engine in this link (located on the driver's side, you'll notice it is combined with the 'puck' - may be a good option, if available):

Click on this link, then on the bottom link for the complete manual:
viewtopic.php?p=861026#p861026

From what I remember reading online some years ago about provent, I believe this can be safely installed on a turbo Diesel engine that's up to 6 liters? Not sure, but when I got mine there was no provent 150 easily source able. Anyways, it's not designed for a small engine as crd's, definitely works, but it's huge for our engine.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:59 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks again! SO GLAD I found this group!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:32 am 

Read this thread:
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=80491&hilit
You can learn more than you ever wanted to know about the CCV system and how it works... :wink:
Warning! It is a long read! :roll:

Good location for mounting the Provent as shown by another member:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'll give it a read, thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:58 pm 
LOST Member

Be careful with the Provent though when you route your lines. If you live in a cold climate it is possible for the lines to collect condensation which can freeze. That can potentially increase your crank case pressure and cause a seal to blow.

Post subject: Newby, probably dumb questions
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:40 pm 
LOST Addict

HER_CRD wrote:
Be careful with the Provent though when you route your lines. If you live in a cold climate it is possible for the lines to collect condensation which can freeze. That can potentially increase your crank case pressure and cause a seal to blow.

I have never heard of those issues with provent. Ehm has those issues but not provent. I live in Cleveland, the top 10 snowy cities and never had an issue with provent and I have it installed since 2010. The only "catch" with provent is the oil drain hose, if it is left under the vehicle and not connected to the oil pan then the drain hose needs a release valve so when there is negative pressure it won't suck dirty air through the drain hose. Also, if the oil drain hose is connected back to the engine above oil pan level, it also needs a release valve. For installing the drain hose under the oil level in the pan, no release valve is required.