It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gear ratio
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

Is the gear ratio in a CRD the same as a V6? I have a libby 03, V6 auto (donor jeep for V6 airbox, mags and lift pump wiring) and because I would like to put bigger tire one day, I would like to know if they are different, lower gear. I would keep them for later on, in my to do bin

Post subject: Re: Gear ratio
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:47 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

CRD4U2 wrote:
Is the gear ratio in a CRD the same as a V6? I have a libby 03, V6 auto (donor jeep for V6 airbox, mags and lift pump wiring) and because I would like to put bigger tire one day, I would like to know if they are different, lower gear. I would keep them for later on, in my to do bin

KJ CRD 4wd is 3.73 - didn't make a 2wd Diesel model, so what you see is what you get

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:12 pm 
LOST Addict

I have a hard time believing you need to regear a crd unless you are going well beyond 32" or doing serious offroading. I mean my 6000lbs, elephant of an f150 comes with 32.5" tires from the factory with 3.73 gearing and pulls like a frieght train in 6th gear from 1200 rpms

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

I will not be going over 32 inches tires for sure. I just didn`t know if I would need to change the gears if I was going to bigger tires, if not, more money for other mods, like limited slip of some kind, and more power, always need more power. :D And by the way, what is the biggest tires I can fit with no rubbing under the beast with a lift kit like Tommudd econo lift or Rockfather deluxe and which one do you guys recommand? There is an other post that someone said not to go with the rocky road one but didn't say why.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I wouldn't buy anything from Rocky Road - enough stories on line.

I have OME lift -from All-Js although you can get them from many sources

I try to stick to All-J's or Jeeping Al - they support the site and their customers.

32's i.e. 265/75/16 are the biggest you can fit, I ran them for 40K miles - CRD loves them on the highway - uses more pedal to accelerate.

I plan on going back to Moab - so I went back to 245/75 - they seem to have more flex room and are better for low end crawling.

if you're doing low range crawling a lot, or heavy trailer towing- the 4:10 would be reasonable - for most folks it's a waste.

from a mileage standpoint 245 vs 265 on the same route - less than .1 mpg difference

- the real difference is if you change routes - more highway -the 265's are better - more stop/go the 245's are better.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:17 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the info ATXKJ. It will be really helpful when I will have the money to get a lift kit and tires. Can wait to turn my libby into what it should have look like from the beginning. :JEEPIN: