It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Inner CV joints
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:05 am 
LOST Member

Anyone know if the left inner CV joint is the same on gas and diesel? I'm in the long process of taking my sweet time repairing a flood damaged CRD and installing a 4" JBA lift. Marlin suggested cutting 0.5" off the inner CVs, so I gave them to a friend to machine. After many back and forth discussions about what to do, he got it wrong and cut 0.7" off of the left inner. So now I have to decide what to do. Should I try to put it back together and see if it comes apart while cycling the suspension? Or play it safe (probably the right move) and get a new inner CV and do it right? If the CVs are the same (I know the axle lengths are different) I can probably get one easily from a junkyard. If they are different, then???? I also know there have been issues with new axle lengths for imported axles.

JBA 4" lift, IRO Tri-link w/ wwdiesel bracket, JBA sliders, 235/85-16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Mercedes Benz forged ultralight wheels, Weeks stage 1 and 2, Weeks lift pump and harness, Weeks battery tray and AGM battery, GDE tune, Suncoast TC, updated front pump, HDS 001 T-stat, ARP studs, Front and rear Detroit/Eaton Truetrac LSD.

Post subject: Re: Inner CV joints
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:02 pm 

All Liberty's are not the same, gas or diesel. I think the year spread is 02 thru 06. Different length CV axles for gas versus diesels....

The 27 spline Dana 30a, also know by Chrysler as the 186FIA, has always been the only front axle available in the Jeep Liberty. It's an IFS axle with an aluminum housing as indicated by the 'FI' and 'A'/'a' respectively. Essentially, it's an aluminum version of the Dana 30 with a longer pinion shaft. Unfortunately, the light weight aluminum construction makes it weaker than the D30 and the longer pinion shaft means pinion related D30 parts won't fit it. The D30a requires a 1-1/8" socket to remove and install the pinion nut.

CRD Libertys have a different front cradle that lowers and leftward shifts the differential to provide more clearance for the diesel engine. The lowering results in better half-shaft constant velocity joint angles but too little clearance for a differential collar. The leftward shift requires different length half-shafts than those used in the gas Liberty. Due to the shorter left side half shaft CRD models cannot be lifted as high as a gas model as their CV joints begin to bind.

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount