It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Four tire options for CRD
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:46 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

One of my local shops is having a tire sale and it's about time I get a new set. I'm looking for something that will be good in mid-Western mud/snow and relatively quiet/economical on the highway. I don't off-road much, if at all. So basically I need a good all season tire. Here are my choices at the moment:

P225/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler SR-A ($157) - 50k miles
P225/75R16 Kelly Safari ATR ($114) - 50k miles
P225/75R16 Hankook Dynapro HT-RH12 ($103) - 70k miles

Tire guy recommended the Hankook for my style of driving and location (Nebraska). I'm not familiar with this company, though the few reviews I've found online have been pretty good. Any thoughts? Per papaindigo's recommendation, I'm also considering getting the BFG Long Trail T/A Tour Tires ($123; 60k miles), but would have to order them in.

GDE Eco Tune, GDE TCM Tune, Bauer 203* Tstat, Amsoil EaA 201 Filter, Clean MAP, Samco CAC Hoses, Magnaflow Muffler #12226.
New Mopar Fuel Filter, K&N Filterminder, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
225/75R16 Hankook Dynapros

Post subject: Re: Four tire options for CRD
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:13 am 
LOST Member

Consider the P235/75R16 BFG LT/TA. I used two sets of them and really liked them with my stock suspension. No rubbing and they lasted the full 60K. I know a couple people with the Hankook Dynapros on Tacomas and they both like them.

Samco Hose Kit
Fumoto 102
Etecno1 GX3123 Steel 7V Glow Plugs
GDE FT Eco and Hot Tunes
JBA 4.5 UCAs
OME Lift

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:30 am 
LOST Addict

I usually buy either German brands like continental, either French like Michelin, either Japanese like sumitomo, and for jeep always American made like bfg or Goodyear. Those brands have always been part of formula 1 suppliers and have a good tradition. I try to stay away of Korean, Chinese, etc etc... Not to say they suck, but I don't feel comfortable with the less proven brands.

Side of this personal preference, I looked at tirerack.com and I see they have a set of 4 hankook dynapro ht rh12 for 392 bucks, minus 50 mail in rebate, that's without delivery, not sure what your shop offers in the price (free mount and balance?). The best deal with tire rack is if you get a set of wheels, as the tires come already mounted on the rims and balanced at no extra charge.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:24 pm 
LOST Member

Im running Goodyear Wrangler Adventure TA's in 235 70 16 they are quiet and go through snow or anything else I have thrown at them so far. I was running Silent Armors which I was pleased with (except for the life) but they discontinued them in the sizes I was looking at. Goodyear doesn't offer many options in 235 75/16 at least around where I live.

I am also on stock suspension and no rubbing.

05 CRD Limited GDE Hot Tune, EuroTC, ARPs, Full EGR Del, IDParts Hoses, Etecno 7v GP, OME 790 Bilstein 916front, OME948 OME N132Lrear, JBA A-Arms, 245/75/16 Duratracs+Moabs, Renegade roof lights, Curt Front Hitch, BTF Kryptonite Diff, JCR Stage2 Rails, SkidRow Skids, HDS Tstat,

Sold 06 CRD Limited K&N, EHM, ORM, EuroTC, TransgoKit, Samcos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:48 pm 
LOST Addict

I bought Duratracs but haven't put them on. I know they are extremely popular out here in Utah where you will see lots of snow in the winter and thick, peanut butter mud in the spring. My cousin lives here in an adventure community way up on a mountain. His driveway alone is probably 3/4 of a mile of unpaved goodness and he has them on his wifes Lexus GX470 and swears by them. Just to give you an idea, I almost didnt make it up the driveway in my F150 in 4 hi with the rear diff locked and only 3000 miles on the tires. His wife does it everyday on the duratracs no problem.

Nice jeep BTW. Great Combo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

can't say anything about your list - no experience

I just got Duratracs and I'm real impressed - but in Austin they've see sun and light rain

Tom Mudds in Ohio and he's run his Duratracs for 80k miles - with snow (have to rotate every 2500-3000 miles)

he's got a thread down in the Tires section

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=46727

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks, everyone. I talked with a couple folks here, as well, and they all actually recommended the Hankook Dynapros. Seems to be a local favorite, of sorts, so I decided to take advantage of the deal and get a set. The shop price wasn't much higher than the tirerack.com deal, and it comes with free balancing and alignment for the life of the tires.

GDE Eco Tune, GDE TCM Tune, Bauer 203* Tstat, Amsoil EaA 201 Filter, Clean MAP, Samco CAC Hoses, Magnaflow Muffler #12226.
New Mopar Fuel Filter, K&N Filterminder, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
225/75R16 Hankook Dynapros

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

We use Hankook Dynapros on our Forest Service trucks and they see a lot of action...sharp rocks, mud, snow, and highway miles. They're excellent all-round tires.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:28 am 
LOST Addict

stoutdog wrote:
Thanks, everyone. I talked with a couple folks here, as well, and they all actually recommended the Hankook Dynapros. Seems to be a local favorite, of sorts, so I decided to take advantage of the deal and get a set. The shop price wasn't much higher than the tirerack.com deal, and it comes with free balancing and alignment for the life of the tires.

That's a good deal, you know that in theory at least, SUVs being heavier, need wheel balance at about 10k miles due to the tire slightly moving/slipping over the rim due to breaks and heavier weight of the vehicle. So that's a good deal you got.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

I went with 225/75/R16 Toyo Open Country A/T 2 tires, with siping. They come with a 65,000 mile warranty at Les Schwab (A west coast tire store for those unfamiliar). I stuck with the stock Liberty tire size to maximize fuel efficiency - the 225/75 tires are a mere 8.9 inches wide, which minimizes surface contact with the road. Hopefully the increase traction gained with siping will offset the narrower tire width.

SunCoast Torque Converter
HDS Model 001 Thermostat
Weeks Stage 1
Mann Provent 200
Fumoto Oil Valve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

I love my cooper atp's, did awesome this winter in michigan and we will see how they do in the mud here soon.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have Hankook Dynapro ATM LT245/75R16's on my Frankenlift II lifted CRD. For me, the Dynapros have been about the best tires that I've ever owned. They are long-wearing, reasonably priced tires that perform well on or off-road. I've found them to be very good on snow an ice, too. I've run BFG's, Goodyears, Coopers, Hercules, and Firestones--the Dynapros have performed better, overall, than all of those others.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I really like the tires I've got currently, Falken Rocky Mountain ATS. Rugged, and not that noisy on the road. They've really worn well, lots of tread with 30k miles so far.

'01 Beetle TDi B100, EGR delete
'83 Mercedes 240D B100, no EGR

--- SEGR Builder ---

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:35 pm 
LOST Member

Hankook Dynapro were on my CRD when I got it I was happy with them over all just not aggressive enough for off road