It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: serpentine belt tensioner removal
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:34 am 
LOST Newbie

I'm having a problem removing the tensioner. it seems like there is just one bolt holding it in place, I have removed that bolt but not able to remove the tensioner. anyone done this in the past?

Post subject: Re: serpentine belt tensioner removal
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It's held on by 1 13mm bolt to the left of the tensioner pulley but I don't recall if you also have to remove the power steering pulley to get the tensioner off (if so that involves 3 10mm bolts). What you may be experiencing is parts simply "sticking" together due to time and a bit of surface rust in which case with that 13mm bolt removed simple tap the side of the tensioner base with something like a dead blow hammer to break that sticksion.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thank you! it does seem to be up against the P.S. pulley. I was wondering if I was missing a bolt and don't want to break that bracket.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

That worked, so for anyone searching in the future pull the PS pulley and the tensioner falls out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:59 pm 
LOST Member

runningbird wrote:
That worked, so for anyone searching in the future pull the PS pulley and the tensioner falls out.

This is EXACTLY what I needed to know. Thanks. And, the FSM never mentions this...

So...next question. How do I keep the pulley from spinning as I try to remove the bolts?

2005 Liberty Limited CRD; Air Filter Monitor; Samco Hoses; GDE HOT Tune; RL037142AA TC; KJ Interior Rack from All J Products; JBA Adjust-a-strut lift and A-Arms; 245/75R16 Firestone Destination ATs on Moabs; ARB Bumper; ASFIR Skids; FS-2500 Bypass Filter; ARP studs.
2016 Grand Cherokee Overland CRD.

Post subject: serpentine belt tensioner removal
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:45 am 
LOST Junkie

user113 wrote:
runningbird wrote:

This is EXACTLY what I needed to know. Thanks. And, the FSM never mentions this...

So...next question. How do I keep the pulley from spinning as I try to remove the bolts?

I've always stuck a screw driver in one of the bigger holes and let it stop against the block. It shouldnt take much to break the 3 bolts loose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:37 pm 
LOST Member

I got it. There is one 10mm bolt that can be snagged with a deep socket through one of the holes in the pulley, at about 3 o'clock.

New tensioner, new alternator, new idler pulleys, new belt. Nice and smooth.

The only thing I need to get now is a torque wrench that reads CCW.

2005 Liberty Limited CRD; Air Filter Monitor; Samco Hoses; GDE HOT Tune; RL037142AA TC; KJ Interior Rack from All J Products; JBA Adjust-a-strut lift and A-Arms; 245/75R16 Firestone Destination ATs on Moabs; ARB Bumper; ASFIR Skids; FS-2500 Bypass Filter; ARP studs.
2016 Grand Cherokee Overland CRD.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:57 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
No you don't. Just tighten down the idlers to the "German" torque spec of Gudentight and call it. You don't need to be a gorilla, they are self-tightening while in use and will never unthread accidentally.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.