It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: '06 Liberty CRD - Weird Knock / Rattle At Idle
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:44 am 
LOST Newbie

So this all began after I got (what I think) a bad batch of Diesel at a station on my way home from a road trip.

On very cold mornings when I would start the CRD, it would sputter, sumble, and smoke like an SOB for about 20 seconds after it was started. Sometimes I felt like I had to give it some gas to keep it running. I burned through that tank of gas, and got gas from the station that I always get it from and the smoking, stumbling and all that totally went away, but the knock / rattle was still there.

I always run Howes Diesel Treat & Howes Meaner Power Cleaner in all out Diesels and never have any problems, it does better than Power Service in my experiences.

During this time it developed an interesting Knock / Rattle at Idle. It sounds like it's coming from the transmission tunnel / behind the dash. It's def not something in the dash just loose rattling around, this is a mechanical sounding knock or rattle.

It is only there at idle. Give it a tiny bit of throttle and it goes away. Rarely it is slow to shift into reverse too. When the motor & trans are cold, it kinda has the feeling that it wants to push through the brakes. Once everything is warmed up, the sound isn't as loud, but it is still there. It's there in all gears, but is the loudest in Park.

I crawled under it with it running in park and can't hear the rattle. You can only hear it from inside.

Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: '06 Liberty CRD - Weird Knock / Rattle At Idle
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:32 am 
LOST Addict

Quote:
I burned through that tank of gas, and got gas...

Well there's your problem :-)r

Seriously though, check your transmission dipstick tube. Mine was making a strange rattle and I found that the trans dipstick tube was broken.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:58 pm 
LOST Member

Check your torque converter bolts. They may be backing out.

2006 Liberty CRD 275K, JBA 2.5 with Fox Shocks, GDE Turbo Kit, GDE TCM Tune, Suncoast TC, OEM fuel filter housing converted to fit Caterpillar Fuel Filter 1R-0749, OEM themostat housing modified to accept Hemi 203 F thermostat.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:10 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Does it sound like this?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5447172/jeep-engine.mov

I hope not - that is what a rocker problem sounds like. Based on recent events, it could also be the harmonic balancer causing a sound short. Pull the serp belt and try it, if the sound is still there, then pull the crank balancer pulley and give it another try. If the sound is gone - there's your answer.

It is odd that you can only hear it from the inside and not from the outside though, but it could be translating through the driveline and rattling the transmission mount. I had an annoying rattle at that point when driving at low speeds, turns out the rubber transmission mount had failed. Jacking the transmission slightly and wedging a chunk of rubber into the space in that mount can also cure the noise temporarily.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:37 pm 
LOST Addict

flash7210 wrote:
Quote:
I burned through that tank of gas, and got gas...

Well there's your problem :-)r

Seriously though, check your transmission dipstick tube. Mine was making a strange rattle and I found that the trans dipstick tube was broken.

My transmission dipstick pops out randomly and makes a buzzing that sounds similar to the engine but much louder.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:27 pm 
LOST Junkie

well if you check all the above , and still rattling , check injectors , before i corrected air in fuel problem i run bottle of meaner cleaner to clean fuel system , after 2nd fill up injector started seizing up , engine smoked and rattle was so bad that i thought engine is going to blow up . from now on i use stanadyne performance formula , hope this helps

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:34 am 
LOST Newbie

Dipstick Tube is good.

Is there an access plate for the Converter Bolts or do I have to pull the starter?

Def does NOT sound like the Engine in the Rocker Video.

Pulled the plastic engine cover and can't hear the noise any more or less. Held on to each injector and can't feel and difference between them. Not sure if I would be able to feel a vibration difference, but it was worth a shot.

Crawled under with it running and can't hear anything either.

With the door open and the hood up, if I rev it quick enough in park to build boost, when it comes back down to idle, the "rattle" will be gone for a few seconds then come back. Same scenario if I keep doing this over and over.

Hooked a computer up to it to read Rail Pressure at idle and it fluctuates between 53xx-56xxpsi.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yes there is an opening above the starter where you can inspect the T/C flex plate bolts. Easier to access if you pull the starter though (disconnect the battery first!). If you suspect this is the problem DON'T run the engine till you check. If the bolt(s) are loose you will damage both the T/C and the flex plate.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:35 am 
LOST Member

Did you fix / find the problem?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk