It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Selling out
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hi folks,

I still love our CRD, but my wife got a free Chevy HHR from her mother, and the CRD must go. I listed on Craigslist http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4965130082.html

It's in great shape, and of course it had the timing belt replaced by a local fellow on these forums with the proper tools. It's also had an SEGR for 100k of the 141k miles, and the intake is clean. We are not in a huge hurry to sell, but if it doesn't go in a couple weeks I might try eBay.

I still get emails from the PMs so if anyone wants any SEGR parts or info, I can still respond.

'01 Beetle TDi B100, EGR delete
'83 Mercedes 240D B100, no EGR

--- SEGR Builder ---

Post subject: Re: Selling out
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:15 pm 
LOST Addict

Good luck with the sale!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:14 am 
LOST Newbie

Man, UFO you are only asking $5000. That is bad news for me, I was planning on selling mine in a couple months in the Denver area and was hoping for more than that! :banghead:
Hope it sells quick so I'm not competing with you on selling mine.

GDE EcoTune

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:33 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

FITZv2 wrote:
Man, UFO you are only asking $5000. That is bad news for me, I was planning on selling mine in a couple months in the Denver area and was hoping for more than that! :banghead:
Hope it sells quick so I'm not competing with you on selling mine.

Yeah, it's a bit disappointing, blue book is even lower, but I see what folks are asking for them, and it's not much. To boot, I'm really not getting much response to the ad either.

--- SEGR Builder ---

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:24 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
KBB really hammers the value once a vehicle crosses 100k miles, and they go down fairly steeply in stages after that point. IIRC, the values don't really level off until 150k miles or so.

What kind of number was KBB putting it at? I would have thought the 5k that you are at was too low, but then I'm part of this biased group - we'd like them to stay high b/c we know how rare they are.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

geordi wrote:
KBB really hammers the value once a vehicle crosses 100k miles, and they go down fairly steeply in stages after that point. IIRC, the values don't really level off until 150k miles or so.

What kind of number was KBB putting it at? I would have thought the 5k that you are at was too low, but then I'm part of this biased group - we'd like them to stay high b/c we know how rare they are.

Hmm, I must have fat-fingered something because now I see that KBB is saying the private party value is $6800 for this CRD in good condition. It does have some skuffs and dings, and a collision repair. But I listed it at $6000 and getting virtually no response. It may be time to try Ebay.

--- SEGR Builder ---

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:34 pm 
LOST Addict

For that price you may as well keep it as a spare vehicle.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:17 pm 
LOST Addict

Sell the HHR!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:21 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Yeah, I'd have to agree with that assessment - It isn't costing you anything to just have it sit around as a spare ride, and these things really are better suited for people that have alternative wheels for the when-not-if they decide to take some time off.

I'd happily trade you a 97 Grand Cherokee 4WD if you wanted a toy with an all-mechanical body and driveline and transfer case... But that one is a toy too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I would agree about keeping it, but we've got way too many vehicles:

06 Chevy HHR 50k miles, wife loves it.
01 VW Beetle TDI, fuel sipper, my daily.
89 Toyota PU 4x4, drive once a week to pickup stuff ;)
83 Benz 240D, future vehicle for 15 year old.
78 Datsun 280Z, track toy.

No room in the garage, drive or street. I can keep the CRD for a while to get the right price, but the insurance is going to cost me while I sell it. It really does seem sad that I paid 20k for this in 2007 and other than the miles, it is exactly the same vehicle.

My VW is literally falling apart, the interior and electrical suck. The power mirrors don't work, the mirror heater is broken, the glow plug harness lights the CEL, the seat belt buckle switch causes the airbag light to be on, the AC was repaired once and has now failed again, both interior door pulls broke off. It's beyond help, but the TDI engine is good. Oh, the power windows malfunction in the rain, and don't work at all in the cold.

The Jeep in strong contrast has absolutely zero issues, everything works. I'm very impressed with how it ages.

--- SEGR Builder ---

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

Good luck with the sale, hope you get it sold at your price it only helps the rest of us. I would also hate to have to compete with you in a few months. With 6 vehicles in the stable and most likely adding another this summer something will have to go.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:18 pm 
LOST Addict

Wow man, you've beat the hell out of that TDI.

My 03 Jetta has 325k miles on it and had the original auto transmission until just recently (I swapped it to a younger auto trans) and the electrical and other features of BOTH TDIs that I have owned have been great. The only issue has been that rubberized crap they covered the interior with and the AC blend doors, both of which were annoying and very well-known problems.

I flogged the hell out of my 01 Jetta (before the CRD) and needed the injection pump rebuilt after 150k miles due to the internals failing a seal from the ULSD changeover... The new one (bought with 244k on it) needed the pump rebuilt at the same diesel shop b/c of the fuel metering spring having broken entirely... But the thing still drove. Now with a tune and nozzles and nothing else, it runs like a scalded dog, 36mpg at 80mph all day long.

Yet my CRD experience... Is a $24,000 (if I replaced the engine a second time) tale of woe and destruction. Funny how we are almost opposites.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:35 am 
LOST Junkie

If you sell your CRD, you won't have room either for the extra B100 and restaurant WVO and I'll gladly take it off your hands for nothing :SOMBRERO:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:54 am 
LOST Addict

I'd restore the 240d and keep it as a collector car, with no insurance. Maybe sell it in 10 years for the price of 5 wranglers tdi, lol. And let the youngster drive the Crd. The 240d is in my opinion a ride for church on Sundays and, depending on its condition, a keeper. Regardless, even for 6000 you ask for it, it's such a low price that it isn't worth to sell it.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:43 am 
LOST Newbie

It looks like a twin of my CRD. Only yours appears to be in much better shape. I'm currently in the process of replacing half shafts and hubs (plus brakes and shocks, and possibly ball joints while I'm there), and then I may have to rebuild the transfer case and I need to fix rust around the third brake light.

It's all about timing. Two months ago I was looking for a second CRD and they were all running $8k to $10k. I was even considering one west of Denver. Unfortunately, two weeks ago I gave up settled on a new Ford Fusion, otherwise I'd be asking for a ride from the airport. I traded in (gave away actually) my 99 F250 (Powerstroke) after getting no reasonable responses from Craigslist. I had one guy offer me half of my asking price because "he only wanted the motor".

We just have to remember that these are a niche item. It's going to take longer to find buyers that appreciate the unique features offered by CRDs. The average shopper is comparing your Liberty to 3.7s, and they think your price is too high. A buyer that is looking for diesel or wants a small SUV capable of pulling a moderate size trailer and they'll pay what it's worth.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:21 pm 
LOST Member

Well, on this side of the sea, the second hands go for a better price. But you know what? Am not selling my old CRD! :-)

Airtex lift pump

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Got a fair price for it on eBay. Fellow flew out from Texas to drive it back, and I noticed he is posting here as BR549. I know you folks here will help him out as much as you did me.

--- SEGR Builder ---