It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help with P0740-TCC OUT OF RANGE .
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

I noticed today that my torque converter is not locking up. I use the scan tool and received the P0740 code. I was told it is either a loose connection, highly unlikely, but most likely a bad torque converter. I have had the euro torque converter in for over 100,000 miles now. If I do need to replace the torque converter my question is this.

What is the current part number for the euro torque converter, and are they available?

What is the part number for the hemi converter, and is the hemi converter a direct bolt in?

Thank you for any help..

Post subject: Re: Help with P0740-TCC OUT OF RANGE .
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:21 pm 

Transmission/Torque Converter Items
Mopar euro torque converter - RL037142AA (was 68037142AA)
5.7L Hemi TC -- 4736587AC
R4736587AD. (remanned) Replaces:4736587AA, 4736587AB, 4736587AC, R4736587AC
Suncoast -- CRD-1ES TC

Stock Mopar OEM TC is rated for 300 ft. lbs. max (406 Nm)
Mopar Euro TC is rated for 400 ft. lbs. max (~ 542 Nm)
Hemi TC is rated for? (never seen a rating listed) Anyone got them, please post...
Suncoast CRD-1ES TC is rated for 600 ft. lbs. max (813 Nm)

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:59 pm 
LOST Member

Hemi is a direct bolt in.....if it can handle a 6.4 Hemi, it should be able to handle a CRD Liberty engine with ease.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:01 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

dthdcrd wrote:
I noticed today that my torque converter is not locking up. I use the scan tool and received the P0740 code. I was told it is either a loose connection, highly unlikely, but most likely a bad torque converter. I have had the euro torque converter in for over 100,000 miles now. If I do need to replace the torque converter my question is this.

What is the current part number for the euro torque converter, and are they available?

What is the part number for the hemi converter, and is the hemi converter a direct bolt in?

Thank you for any help..

Applying the brake pedal unlocks the TCC in any scenario - switch could be needing adjustment, or is faulty

OEM-stock Hemi engine specs:
Power (SAE net) 395 hp (291 kW) @ 5,600 rpm
Torque (SAE net) 407 lb.-ft. (548 N•m) @ 3,950 rpm (Hemi TC\C is designed to withstand greater than stock engine output,
so est 475~525 lbs.ft.)
Max. Engine Speed 5,800 rpm

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

Last edited by gmctd on Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:59 am 
LOST Newbie

Thank you for the help. I'm away this weekend. So I will get into it next week when I return.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:52 am 
LOST Newbie

So, I have replaced the torque converter with a remanufactured Hemi unit. Purchased through a company called Transtar. $180.00 three year 36,000 mile warranty. This was a pretty big job and not one I would recommend doing without a lift. Just the size of the transmission/transfer case and weight is enough to justify using a lift. I know some have done it on the ground and I applaud you, that's not for me..

My jeep has the GDE hot tune, ARP studs and the head gasket has been replaced. 175,000 miles, tow twice a month from April until October, 3500lb or 4000lb trailer.. I had the euro torque converter and new front pump installed at 40,000 miles. This was due to shudder and even though I was the second owner the service manager at the local dealership did it for free under the recall, yay me. Once the euro torque was installed the shudder was gone and all was good. Never even a hint of shudder. I don't think it owes me anything with the mileage and heavy duty towing that was done.

Hemi torque converter feels great! I really like the off idle responsiveness. Lock ups are smooth and it has a very positive feel while applying the throttle. The only disappointment I have is the shudder is back.... A very minor one, I'm talking once locked up, squeeze on the gas at full boost there is a moment of shudder. Maybe 2-3 seconds.. I'm confused why this is happening because I thought the Hemi converter was better than the euro. If the euro didn't shudder why would the Hemi?? Had I know that the Hemi would shudder I would have purchased another Euro converter or a high performance custom built unit from Edge racing etc.. Not as expensive as Suncoast but same idea. I have heard about people having shudder issues with the Suncoast and all kinds of reasons why.. It still doesn't make sense to me why a more substantial converter like the Hemi or even Suncoast would have shudder issues. Keep in mind, in my case there isn't something else wrong. The euro that never had shudder came out and the Hemi went in, nothing else changed.. I am going to roll with it for now because of the other benefits. I'll see if I can get an additive or something to help get rid of the shudder completely.

Just wanted to give some feedback to others considering this option

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

dthdcrd wrote:
So, I have replaced the torque converter with a remanufactured Hemi unit. Purchased through a company called Transtar. $180.00 three year 36,000 mile warranty. This was a pretty big job and not one I would recommend doing without a lift. Just the size of the transmission/transfer case and weight is enough to justify using a lift. I know some have done it on the ground and I applaud you, that's not for me..

My jeep has the GDE hot tune, ARP studs and the head gasket has been replaced. 175,000 miles, tow twice a month from April until October, 3500lb or 4000lb trailer.. I had the euro torque converter and new front pump installed at 40,000 miles. This was due to shudder and even though I was the second owner the service manager at the local dealership did it for free under the recall, yay me. Once the euro torque was installed the shudder was gone and all was good. Never even a hint of shudder. I don't think it owes me anything with the mileage and heavy duty towing that was done.

Hemi torque converter feels great! I really like the off idle responsiveness. Lock ups are smooth and it has a very positive feel while applying the throttle. The only disappointment I have is the shudder is back.... A very minor one, I'm talking once locked up, squeeze on the gas at full boost there is a moment of shudder. Maybe 2-3 seconds.. I'm confused why this is happening because I thought the Hemi converter was better than the euro. If the euro didn't shudder why would the Hemi?? Had I know that the Hemi would shudder I would have purchased another Euro converter or a high performance custom built unit from Edge racing etc.. Not as expensive as Suncoast but same idea. I have heard about people having shudder issues with the Suncoast and all kinds of reasons why.. It still doesn't make sense to me why a more substantial converter like the Hemi or even Suncoast would have shudder issues. Keep in mind, in my case there isn't something else wrong. The euro that never had shudder came out and the Hemi went in, nothing else changed.. I am going to roll with it for now because of the other benefits. I'll see if I can get an additive or something to help get rid of the shudder completely.

A. The KJ 2.8L CRD is very large displacement for a small consumer-oriented vehicle
- most are 1.8L~ 2.2L, front-wheel drive, no uni-body mounted rear-end drive components = less probability of shudder-generating components
- most, as does the VM 2.8L, require balance shafts to smooth-out the torsional reactions of a 4cyl Diesel engine
- the VM 2.8L has two (count'em: 2) balance shafts, necessary to compensate for the increased displacement

B. 545RFE has two (count'em: 2) front pumps, TCM-controlled to meet demand requirements
- 1st pump, always used, for light loading and hiway speeds with light loading
- 2nd pump valved-in for increased pressure as required for heavy-duty loading, incl w-o-t acceleration, towing, and hilly, mountainous,
etc operation
- variable pressures allow correct clutch-pak application and Torque Converter Clutch application as required to meet any\all variations in
normal operation, as above
- aluminum front-pump is noted for increased valve-wear over that of a cast-iron pump body
- shudder can result from increased valve clearances when 2nd pump is valved-in for increased loading
- at 110kmi on the 1st replacement front pump, replacement HD TC prolly should have coincided with corresponding front-pump replacement to get spec'ed valving and pump-gear clearances

C. KJ has left-mounted transfer case, left-mounted front-diff, preloading the chassis to the left
- driver gets in, more left-loading into the chassis
- nail the go-pedal, clockwise rotational torque causes CCW engine\drive-train reaction to rise up on the left side, against the heavy body weight, flexing the age-distorted left-side rubber isolation mounts, throwing increased loading on the distorted right-side isolation mounts, can result in shudder
- this would be unnoticeable when TCC is unlocked, very prominent in lock-up
- hot tune upgrades would exacerbate all these points

A vehicle with drivetrain mounted to a separate full frame would not be as sensitive to these scenarios because the rubber body-mounts could be tuned for increased isolation

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

Last edited by gmctd on Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:25 pm 
LOST Addict

dthdcrd wrote:
Keep in mind, in my case there isn't something else wrong. The euro that never had shudder came out and the Hemi went in, nothing else changed.. I am going to roll with it for now because of the other benefits. I'll see if I can get an additive or something to help get rid of the shudder completely.

I wouldn't get too hung up on that reasoning. The Hemi TC may simply be less tolerant to low fluid pressure or control issues than the Euro. This doesn't necessarily mean its bad or out of spec. This may be an issue with the pressure regulation, solenoid or pump i.e. the "nothing else changed" parts. Just sayin'.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:09 am 
LOST Newbie

Thank you for the response. Helps makes some sense of it.

I have had the opportunity to drive the jeep quite a lot in the past couple of days and towed with it on Friday. 4000lb camper some pretty hilly areas. Wow the Hemin torque converter has a way better feel to it than the euro. Much more positve, not so slushy feeling. The boost comes up quicker and it's now easier to hold boost up a long hill towing. This is locked or unlocked.. The benefits of the Hemi unit really shine during towing. In regular driving they are obvious as well, just not as in your face. The jeep really seems to move along/accelerate with less effort now.