It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New OEM Torque converter installed in my CRD
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Anyone have any specs on the latest OEM torque converter part number "R803742AA".

It was just installed in my CRD under warranty and I wanted to know if it is built stronger than the previous one?

Post subject: Re: New OEM Torque converter installed in my CRD
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:35 pm 
LOST Member

No specs here but from what I hear from my buddies at the Dodge house is that the reman unit is in no way better than the new unit......and no worse. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The following is my two week observation after the transmission work was done.

It drives great. Doesn't take much pedal to make it go.

In town mileage is up from 21.6 to 23.2 MPG (Per the EVIC... means nothing I know.)

It reaches the sweet spot of 1,750 RPM with little effort.

I felt and heard a little rumble going up a hill yesterday, not sure if it was Torque converter related.

The more I drive it, the more the kinks are worked out and smoother the ride.

Crossing my fingers.

I plan to take it on a long highway trip soon and will report back.

I don't know why but the CRD feels like it has more HP.

I am running with the stock ECU, the MAF unplugged and the stock TCM. Hot tune is on the shelf this time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:41 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I took the CRD out for a short spin on I95 yesterday and incredibly the MPG easily reached 26.3 on a 40 mile trip.

It takes a little amount of gas to get her up to speed compared to what it was before and the shifting is smooth. I didn't experience the rumble I felt previously.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:31 am 
LOST Addict

By the time our Euro TC was installed, it had become the "standard replacement" TC for the KJ CRD. However with all the part number changes since then, I am not sure Mr. Mopar could figure this one out.

However, all you have to do is reinstall your HOT tune, head up a moderate grade at 56 MPH, apply an inch of throttle and see if you get shudder. You have the euro, if you do not.

BTW, did you see that post about how pump alignment is critical in the 545 and that if not done precisely, the whole trans gets trashed in a few thousand miles?

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:56 am 
LOST Member

DOC4444 wrote:
BTW, did you see that post about how pump alignment is critical in the 545 and that if not done precisely, the whole trans gets trashed in a few thousand miles?

DOC

I didn't. Can you post a link? Thanks. I am planning on pulling the tranny in our CRD later this year for upgraded pump, new suncoast and transgo installation. I will also install a new OEM pan with two welded in bungs. I want to do the work correctly the first time. Thanks.

GDE FT ECO tune, GDE TCM ECO tune, ARP studs, HDS-001 203F T-Stat, 3.7L nylon fan & Hayden 2905 clutch, Carter P76148M in-tank pump, Racor 245R122 filter head & 2 micron R25S fuel filter, Provent 200, Samcos, Fumoto F-102, Litens 920834A de-coupler, PML rear diff cover, OEM trans pan with welded in bung, JBA UCAs, full skids.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:10 pm 
LOST Addict

Sorry, do not recall exactly, but it was one in the last couple weeks in the middle of something about TCs or transmissions.

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:05 pm 
LOST Addict

Well gee, that's vague.
Pump aligned with what, the transmission case?
I thought there was only one way for the pump to go on.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Update: I installed the GDE Hot tune that I had on the shelf and then took the CRD out for a spin to see how the torque converter would handle the added power ....... and all is well. It handled it great, no shudder and smooth shifting. So so far so good.

I am still trying to discover if the torque converter that was installed in my vehicle recently is the same one that is used in the Ram 3500 Hemi truck. Can anyone who is in the know help me with this?

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:43 pm 
LOST Addict

racertracer wrote:
Anyone have any specs on the latest OEM torque converter part number "R803742AA".

It was just installed in my CRD under warranty and I wanted to know if it is built stronger than the previous one?

The part number above is not based on the hemi converter. It is the same as stock KJ with stiffer lock-up clutch springs to 400 ft/lb capacity. You should be fine running the hot tune.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:19 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Keith, I appreciate the info.

I've been driving the CRD and putting the TC through the ringer and I feel that it is much sturdier than the original.

But I can still hear a little something funky going on when it first engages top gear and levels out soon after.

It is not a loud noise or hard rumble to indicate to me that it is a shudder but it may be..... I do not know.

I plan to have the dealer hear what I am hearing so that the issue is documented and Chrysler Customer Care is aware of it. The Chrysler Customer Care representative that I spoke to last month indicated that she was interested in knowing if there were any problems with this latest repair and to take it back to the dealer if there were any issues so that it is documented.

This weekend, I plan to take it out for a long drive especially seeking steep inclines to see how it behaves.

Raff.