It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Clarification Please on Removing Gasoline from the Fuel Tank
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well, today my spouse filled up our 05 CRD with unleaded. Pump handle green cover. You've all seen this before.

In any case, I researched the topic here and came across this posting where geordi answers how to siphon by cutting fuel line. :
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=69714

In that post, geordi explains how you go underneath the vehicle, cut the larger fuel line, hook up the Mr. Gasket fuel pump and pump out the tank with the auxiliary pump. He also states that when done, you take off the release fitting off the metal fuel line and put 5/16 fuel line in place with clamps IF I understood this correctly. My question is, isn't this a high pressure system? Do I need the fuel line for fuel injection systems and special clamps or will the regular worm gear type clamps work?

Next, in the post that links to geordi's post:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=80361
Jim, further down, posts that he pulled the filler tube from the tank and siphoned out the fuel. Would this be with a transfer siphon pump or using the Mr. Gasket electric fuel pump that geordi recommends? This would make sense. Other than I don't have to cut the fuel line.

Finally, Jim in that same post, he had issues twice, states that he "...used the fuel head plunger to pump the lines free of gas and re-primed it after I got diesel in it. Both times it fired up and ran fine afterwards." This one I don't understand. Does this mean that he loosened the purge valve, at the fuel filter and then just kept pumping the fuel filter purge head to get a stream of fuel out of that little valve?

Others have stated that they used a Mityvac inserted in the fuel line that goes to the fuel filter. I guess you just keep pulling the trigger on the Mityvac or does the fuel just start flowing at some point once its brought up by suction? I might not have this one right either though.

So, bottom line, I get cutting the fuel line under the vehicle, just not clear on putting it back together. As for siphoning out of the fuel neck or next to it, I think I understand that and could use that fuel pump as well to siphon. The rest of the fixes are confusing. I don't want to drop the tank!

Post subject: Re: Clarification Please on Removing Gasoline from the Fuel
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:39 am 
LOST Member

Hello....
When I had issues with gas in the tank and siphoned it out, I used a cheap hand operated bulb siphon. I would think a fuel pump or electric pump would work fine. The trick for me was making sure I got the hose down in the middle of the tank and at the low point so it would siphon out as much gas as possible. Once I had the siphon hose in place I just squeezed the bulb until the gas started flowing and the siphon kept flowing until the gas was out. I simply kept swapping out smaller containers that I poured into a larger one to hold the gas that came out. Once it got low in the tank and sputtered...I would play with the hose again, squeeze the bulb to get it flowing again, and made sure I got out as much as I could. As far as the question on using the primer plunger to clear the lines....yes I used the primer plunger on the fuel head to try and clear as much gas out of the line as possible. My wife had filled up the tank with gas and ran it for a short distance before it cut off so I knew there was gas in the line itself. I wanted to make sure I got out as much as possible from inside the line. Once I siphoned the gas out of the tank and put some diesel in it I started using the primer plunger to pump diesel from the tank into the fuel line to push out any gas that was in the line. I simply opened the bleeder valve and kept pumping the primer to purge the gas into a small plastic soda bottle. Once I thought I had all the gas out of the line and it was full of diesel, I closed the bleeder valve and fired her up. It is a tedious process but both times it happened to me it worked and the Jeep started up just fine. Just to clarify....I did crawl up underneath the tank and disconnected the rubber filler hose from the tank and inserted the siphon hose into the tank via the hose fitting on the tank. It is difficult to get the filler hose off and (especially) back on but it is doable....you just have to keep working at it. Hope this helps.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:18 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

geordi's write-up is pretty good but in thinking about this why crawl under the vehicle or cut lines. If the goal is to remove bad stuff (gasoline, water, whatever) from the fuel tank you already have a pickup point in the bottom or near the bottom of the tank and a hose at the other end. Seems to me the easy approach would be to remove the inflow fuel line (push it off do not pull it) at the filter head; splice in some extra hose (cheap plastic fitting and clear vinyl hose will do as this is a one time thing); start a siphon or use a cheap electric pump; drain tank (might help when drained to add a bit, say 1 gallon, of diesel to tank and re-drain to maximize removal of gasoline); restore inflow fuel line at filter head; remove and drain or replace the fuel filter; crack the fitting at the #4 injector and use the fuel filter primer to pump the lines from the filter thru the CP3 and injectors; tighten fitting; fill with diesel (Power Service if desired) any residual gasoline in the bottom of the tank should be sufficiently diluted by a full fill of diesel to cause no problems I would think; crank up.

To the OP - yes it's a high pressure system but only between the CP3 on the front of the engine and the injectors.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

vertrx7 wrote:
Well, today my spouse filled up our 05 CRD with unleaded. Pump handle green cover. You've all seen this before.

In any case, I researched the topic here and came across this posting where geordi answers how to siphon by cutting fuel line. :
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=69714

In that post, geordi explains how you go underneath the vehicle, cut the larger fuel line, hook up the Mr. Gasket fuel pump and pump out the tank with the auxiliary pump. He also states that when done, you take off the release fitting off the metal fuel line and put 5/16 fuel line in place with clamps IF I understood this correctly. My question is, isn't this a high pressure system? Do I need the fuel line for fuel injection systems and special clamps or will the regular worm gear type clamps work?

Next, in the post that links to geordi's post:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=80361
Jim, further down, posts that he pulled the filler tube from the tank and siphoned out the fuel. Would this be with a transfer siphon pump or using the Mr. Gasket electric fuel pump that geordi recommends? This would make sense. Other than I don't have to cut the fuel line.

Finally, Jim in that same post, he had issues twice, states that he "...used the fuel head plunger to pump the lines free of gas and re-primed it after I got diesel in it. Both times it fired up and ran fine afterwards." This one I don't understand. Does this mean that he loosened the purge valve, at the fuel filter and then just kept pumping the fuel filter purge head to get a stream of fuel out of that little valve?

Others have stated that they used a Mityvac inserted in the fuel line that goes to the fuel filter. I guess you just keep pulling the trigger on the Mityvac or does the fuel just start flowing at some point once its brought up by suction? I might not have this one right either though.

So, bottom line, I get cutting the fuel line under the vehicle, just not clear on putting it back together. As for siphoning out of the fuel neck or next to it, I think I understand that and could use that fuel pump as well to siphon. The rest of the fixes are confusing. I don't want to drop the tank!

There is no lift pump in the fuel tank
- this is a vacuum-type system, pumped by an internal lift pump inside the Injection Pump
- this is why you must use some external method to drain the tank

As suggested, the likely best method is to
- remove the rubber line at the fuel filter inlet
- connect an external pump of your choice to that hose
- drain the tank

Next, reconnect that hose to the filter
- remove and drain the gasoline-contaminated filter, then re-install it
- disconnect the rubber hose at the Injector pump
- install the drain pump that point, continue to drain fuel until you get the odor of Diesel
- re-remove the gasoline-contaminated fuel filter element, toss
- install a fresh fuel filter element
- continue to pump from the Inj Pump hose till you get pure Diesel fuel
- reconnect that hose to the Inj Pump and you're done with that

Next, you'll need to drain the Inj Pump and the Fuel Rail
- DO NOT remove the Fuel Pressure Regulator or the FUEL Pressure Sensor - both have a non-reuseable hi-pressure soft-washer
- disconnect the electrical connector from each injector
- remove the Fuel Return line that goes to the tank from the plastic "TEE" connector
- place a rubber hose on that barb long enuff to reach a drain pail
- crank the engine till you get the odor of Diesel fuel from that line

Next, connect your drain pump to the Fuel Return line that goes back to the tank
- drain the gasoline from that line.
- reconnect

Now would be a good time to install an auxiliary electric fuel lift pump, but you can prime the system with the filter primer

Should now take a short while for the engine to start and run as the fuel system clears

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

First, thank you all for clarifying. Jim, thanks for going over your repair.

I do have a follow on question though to the responses. My vehicle was not turned on. She saw that she was filling tank with wrong fuel, clicked off, hung up pump, called me then tow service. She even left the cap undone.

When the tow truck came the key was turned to accessory to lower window and put tranny in neutral. Then off.

So...do I need to drain the filter, injection pump and injectors? Or can I just drain the lines and tank from the filter head? Nothing would have gotten into the fuel system, right? The vehicle was never turned on. All I'd need to clean are the lines and tank...or am I not thinking this through?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

vertrx7 wrote:
First, thank you all for clarifying. Jim, thanks for going over your repair.

I do have a follow on question though to the responses. My vehicle was not turned on. She saw that she was filling tank with wrong fuel, clicked off, hung up pump, called me then tow service. She even left the cap undone.

When the tow truck came the key was turned to accessory to lower window and put tranny in neutral. Then off.

So...do I need to drain the filter, injection pump and injectors? Or can I just drain the lines and tank from the filter head? Nothing would have gotten into the fuel system, right? The vehicle was never turned on. All I'd need to clean are the lines and tank...or am I not thinking this through?

Correct - pull the rubber inlet line from the filter head, drain the contaminant from there, and you should be good to go - reattach the inlet hose, prime the filter, open the bleed screw and you should smell raw Diesel fuel

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

Last edited by gmctd on Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

That would be...awesome. Makes this little adventure so much more palatable. :)
Of course, I think its going to take a while to empty the 13 gallons but I am going to have to go through that in any case.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:04 pm 
LOST Addict

You can use gravity and connect a long hose with the fuel line from fuel filter, and drop the long hose in a bucket. You'll need something to suck the diesel through till it gets going on its own. I was brave and due to time constraints, I had to suck through the hose some diesel fuel in the mouth, but I just wanted to get done with it. Once you get few gal in the tank you'll need a pump, otherwise it will take forever to empty.

I did the same mistake caused by the wrong handle on a pump I regularly used, they replaced the diesel green handle with a black one and I messed up grabbing the gasoline one. Stopped the engine after about 15 gal of fuel pumped in the tank, towed jeep home and just emptied the tank and replaced the filter, then added 15 gal of diesel from canisters. You'll be fine, don't worry!

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:05 pm 
LOST Member

If you have access to compressed air? I emptied a diesel Olds Tornado with a friend by pumping air into the tank thru the return line. (We then put in a gas V8). Regulated to maybe under 5 psi? Or use a cigarette lighter pump with its small volume?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm off to empty the tank tomorrow armed with the advice I've gotten here. Thank you, it makes the job easier not having to worry about doing something wrong with the instructions and clarifications you all gave.

Unfortunately, we've just moved from Texas to here in South Carolina and I'm really lacking tools or a workshop while waiting to close on a house. I'll be able to do the work with the small pump I bought suggested in geordi's post. Its going to be fun finding a place to get rid of the contaminated gasoline.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:01 pm 
LOST Member

vertrx7 wrote:
Jim, thanks for going over your repair

Sure thing. As much help as I've gotten from the great folks in this forum I'm glad I can help.

As far as the contaminated gas....when it happened to me I ran it in my lawn mower and it ran on it just fine.

Jim

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'll have to find a place to keep it, but your experience with the mower sounds familiar. I'll try it if I can find a place to keep it while we're here in the RV park...:)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:33 pm 
LOST Member

If the fuel would work in a lawn mower, it'll probably work in a generator. Probably more than a few of those at the RV park.

2005 Liberty Limited CRD; Air Filter Monitor; Samco Hoses; GDE HOT Tune; RL037142AA TC; KJ Interior Rack from All J Products; JBA Adjust-a-strut lift and A-Arms; 245/75R16 Firestone Destination ATs on Moabs; ARB Bumper; ASFIR Skids; FS-2500 Bypass Filter; ARP studs.
2016 Grand Cherokee Overland CRD.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:11 am 
LOST Addict

kissfan79 wrote:
vertrx7 wrote:
Jim, thanks for going over your repair

Sure thing. As much help as I've gotten from the great folks in this forum I'm glad I can help.

As far as the contaminated gas....when it happened to me I ran it in my lawn mower and it ran on it just fine.

Jim

Lol. I used the gasoline in the 99 Cherokee with some octane booster and I didn't have a problem. I had about 18 gallons of fuel, maybe 2 of them were diesel. But definitely a lawn mower wouldn't complain...

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:58 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
vertrx7 wrote:
I'm off to empty the tank tomorrow armed with the advice I've gotten here. Thank you, it makes the job easier not having to worry about doing something wrong with the instructions and clarifications you all gave.

Unfortunately, we've just moved from Texas to here in South Carolina and I'm really lacking tools or a workshop while waiting to close on a house. I'll be able to do the work with the small pump I bought suggested in geordi's post. Its going to be fun finding a place to get rid of the contaminated gasoline.

Hey, sorry I didn't respond to your PM until today - I've been out of town at a convention in Vegas this week, and well... You know the tagline about what happens in Vegas... ;)

I'm glad that my suggestions and everyone else here have helped and you can get this resolved. Certainly you can put that "contaminated" fuel into just about anything that burns gas, it will be a slightly lower octane, but it will also dilute in whatever they have in the tank already. Most RV generators pull from the main RV tanks though, so you don't want to put the fuel into the main tank unless the owner is aware of this.

Where in South Carolina are you? I'm actually based in Hardeeville, but since nobody knows where that is, I just tell them "Savannah" which is right over the border and 10 miles away.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

So, the only issue today, Saturday, was to find the right fuel line. No problem, just took a good close look and followed it down. Got the rubber line off which took a bit of doing. Nothing out of the ordinary though. It took about 1.5 hours, filled up three 5 gallon containers.

I did use that little Mr. Gasket diesel fuel pump that Advance Auto Parts had on the shelf that geordi orginally recommended. Got it for 30% off with the online discount code, pick up in store. I now have a really neat little fuel transfer pump as a result of this so that is a great benefit. I bought one of those small $8.99 float chargers at Harbor Freight, cut off the clamps which is what I wanted and attached them to the electrical wires on the pump. Nice and clean for attaching to the battery.

The only issue I encountered was when I was nearing the end, the digital read out read "0" miles and the fuel gauge was on empty. The fuel was coming out of the hose pretty good but I had to turn it off as I was nearing the top of the gas canister. When I brought another canister over to top it off, I couldn't get the flow started again. I was probably just syphoning the rest out and the pump could not get it started again probably due to the low level in the tank.
So tomorrow I will put 5 gallons of diesel in, some DieselKleen and see if she starts.

BTW, I'm in Aiken, SC now.