It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A few questions about rocker arm replacement
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yep, I waited too long to do the timing belt job. 120k miles, and the tensioner's spring was hiding behind the roller, it was so stretched.

I pulled the cam box and found 4 bad exhaust rockers, so I ordered all the parts from idparts and am waiting to start reassembly.

Just a couple questions, hoping someone can clarify.

With the crank turned 90 deg past tdc, both cam pins in, when I started loosening the bolts for the cam box there was pressure from a few valve springs pushing it up. Call me paranoid, but is this what others have experienced when they did this?

Also, when I get the new rockers/lifters, should I soak them in oil for a while before putting them in? I remember having to do that for new lifters in my old pushrod motors back in the day.

Any little tips or tricks would also be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Post subject: Re: A few questions about rocker arm replacement
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:09 pm 
LOST Addict

Yes. It's a good idea to soak your new rockers and lash adjusters in oil prior to installation.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:14 am 
LOST Addict

flash7210 wrote:
Yes. It's a good idea to soak your new rockers and lash adjusters in oil prior to installation.

+1, soak them for a day if you can. Also, I'd recommend replacing tty head bolts with arp, since you'll probably work 20-30 minutes more?

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:27 pm 
LOST Member

You will have some spring pressure lifting up on the valve cover when loosening the bolts and again when reinstalling the valve cover. Be sure to use alignment pins when reinstalling the valve cover or risk knocking a rocker arm off a valve stem. I made 2 of these from valve cover long bolts from ID parts when other items for the HG replacement were ordered. Also follow the FSM instructions about installing a bolt in front and rear and pull the valve cover down evenly. When I did mine, to insure I didn't knock any rocker arms off, I removed the cam pins one at a time and rotated the cam a full 360 degrees to insure there was no binding and all felt well, then reinstalled cam pins, installed the remainder of the valve cover bolts and torqued to specs..

1992 Dodge Stealth RT Twin Turbo Pearl White/Black Leather
2008 Kubota GR2110 Diesel
2006 Key West 186 Sportsman w/135HP Honda OB
1943 Farmall H Restored

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

Excellent info, thanks!

Jim