It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dashboard lights Help!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:23 am 
LOST Newbie

I was on my way home from a 200 mile road trip last evening and my EPS/BAS, Traction Control and ABS lights came on. I stopped for about 20 mins started the jeep and the lights were still on drove about 20 feet and the lights turned off. Once I got onto the highway I was feeling a slight jerk every now and again, subtle but noticeable almost like a transmission slip. Again the lights were off while it was doing this. After about 50 miles of driving all 3 lights came back on and the jeep seemed to be driving better and there was not and signs of a transmission slip or jerk. Would a faulty sensor or damaged wire cause my problem?

Post subject: Re: Dashboard lights Help!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:02 am 
LOST Addict

That's what it sounds like to me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

Anyone know how to scan the codes for ABS lights? I'm assuming its a speed sensor just don't know which one

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

This sounds like a bad ABS wheel sensor, which causes the vehicle to buck and tilt in certain situations (usually when cornering on dirt roads, so I found). It disengages both the traction control and the cruise control as well. Here is a link to the part:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/BWD0/ABS2031/01313.oap?year=2006&make=Jeep&model=Liberty&vi=1432224&ck=Search_01313_1432224_-1&pt=01313&ppt=C0033.

SunCoast Torque Converter
HDS Model 001 Thermostat
Weeks Stage 1
Mann Provent 200
Fumoto Oil Valve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

My cruise control will still work with the lights on.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:15 am 
LOST Member

My guess would be wheel speed sensors too. What year is your jeep, Im guessing 06 since you have ESP/traction control. 05 I believe have one central rear one on the differential and 2 front (1 on each wheel) , 06 has one on each wheel all the way around.

I had one of my fronts go bad and it threw ABS light, traction control light, and esp light. After the front sensors were replaced all the warning lights went out after less than half a block.

I had fairly new front sensors (2 years old maybe) so I was worried about rear harness/sensors issue but after checking circuits on rear/testing continuity on both rear sensors and not finding anything my I got scared that maybe it was steering wheel clock spring issue. I priced that out and it starts getting really expensive.
I ended up finding a set of front sensors on ebay for $20 so I decided to buy them since they were cheap to see if it could be the problem and see if it fixed the problem and it did. NOTE: The front sensors are not specific to side, they both are exactly the same part.

05 CRD Limited GDE Hot Tune, EuroTC, ARPs, Full EGR Del, IDParts Hoses, Etecno 7v GP, OME 790 Bilstein 916front, OME948 OME N132Lrear, JBA A-Arms, 245/75/16 Duratracs+Moabs, Renegade roof lights, Curt Front Hitch, BTF Kryptonite Diff, JCR Stage2 Rails, SkidRow Skids, HDS Tstat,

Sold 06 CRD Limited K&N, EHM, ORM, EuroTC, TransgoKit, Samcos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thank you for the reply. I do have an 06. How difficult are the sensors to replace?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:08 pm 
LOST Member

They are not difficult to replace, you just have to pull the brakes off the front and you should see the sensor right under where the back of the rotor overhangs the wheel hub right on top. They are both held in by 1 bolt I believe with an allen head on it. Be gentle when pulling them out and dont break the sensor head off. It may take alot of wiggling as they have an O ring that seals them inside the bearing housing.

I did have trouble pulling one of mine out and broke part of it off right in the hole. I ended up using a drywall screw into the sensor plastic to pull the piece out of the hole. If this happens to you be careful not to leave any junk inside the housing. I imagine the breaking off problem was more due to my own stupidity than anything else.

05 CRD Limited GDE Hot Tune, EuroTC, ARPs, Full EGR Del, IDParts Hoses, Etecno 7v GP, OME 790 Bilstein 916front, OME948 OME N132Lrear, JBA A-Arms, 245/75/16 Duratracs+Moabs, Renegade roof lights, Curt Front Hitch, BTF Kryptonite Diff, JCR Stage2 Rails, SkidRow Skids, HDS Tstat,

Sold 06 CRD Limited K&N, EHM, ORM, EuroTC, TransgoKit, Samcos

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

I finally got the time to look into the issue. My 4 month old brake pads were completely gone and one of my speed sensor wires was damaged. Fixed the wiring and put need brakes on. Good as new!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:18 am 
LOST Addict

lacrosseman2010 wrote:
I finally got the time to look into the issue. My 4 month old brake pads were completely gone and one of my speed sensor wires was damaged. Fixed the wiring and put need brakes on. Good as new!!

Why did your brake pads wear out after only four months?
That seems like more of a problem than your ABS lights.

The last time I did my front brakes, I left part of the ABS sensor wire dangling. It rubbed on the inside of the wheel until it finally shorted out.
I replaced the whole ABS sensor.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

I greased all of the slides for the caliper and the caliper appears to move freely. I will be checking them in a week or two for wear. Maybe worn out slides?