It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Liberty going slow up hill, thick black exhaust
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

inexperienced (but learning!) Liberty CRD owner here, would really appreciate some advice...

The problem: when I go up a hill, I lose a lot of power and have to creep along at 20-30 mph on the highway. When this happens a lot of thick black exhaust is coming out of the tailpipe. I am also hearing a new "whirring" sound, that kinda sounds like an electrical motor...not sure if that is related to the main issue.

A little history: I bought the Liberty about 8 months ago knowing the EGR valve was not functioning. I saw online that this was a common issue and not really problematic, so I have not fixed it yet. The check engine light has been on the whole time as a result.

This problem first began on a trip I made to the Oregon coast where you can drive 4WD vehicles on the beach. I was driving down the beach no problem but to get off the beach I had to go up a hill through some heavy loose sand. I didn't make it very far before the thick black exhaust came pouring out. I then found an easier exit and got off the beach but got stuck in deep sand at one point and a dune buggy with a winch pulled me out. Ever since that I have experiened the problem and have not been driving much as a result. (side note: I pulled my travel trailer across the country with this Liberty and a couple times experienced similar symptoms when going up steep hills but it was never this bad and always had plenty of power)

Please tell me what you think and advise me on how to troubleshoot this problem in a cost effective way. I really appreciate the help. THANKS!

Post subject: Re: Liberty going slow up hill, thick black exhaust
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 2:13 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Sounds like a boost leak, first. I'd strongly suspect that the EGR is stuck open or partially open, and that the hoses are probably also shot.

The Weeks intake elbow kit (under performance parts on IDparts.com ) will solve the EGR leaking - You do NOT need to waste the money replacing that junk valve. Just leave it where it is and replace the rest of the elbow and seal it off.

You will need an engine tune to resolve the idiot light, the Yeti Tune is a low-cost option, or the Green Diesel Engineering tune is a finely programmed alternative that offers many other benefits, but at a higher cost.

Boost hoses are also a good replacement item, look on IDparts.com for Samco or their own version of the silicone hoses, or Mishimoto hoses are available from Amazon. Finally, you will probably need to replace the airbox-to-turbo hose, IDparts has that too.

Now... Have you replaced the timing belt? Mileage doesn't matter anymore, these need to go because of the AGE, or you will be looking at a much more expensive repair option. I can do the labor for you if you want, I am the traveling mechanic for these. There is someone else in the PNW that wants me to work on theirs (possibly) so that could save on the travel costs. It wouldn't make much sense to have me do just the elbow kit, but if you were having the rest of this list done, it starts to be more economical.

--Jim

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 12:14 am 
LOST Addict

I'm betting that you popped an intercooler hose and now have a massive boost leak. You really have to take both hoses out to inspect under the mesh for splits. Good time for Samco replacement hoses.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

CATCRD wrote:
I'm betting that you popped an intercooler hose and now have a massive boost leak. You really have to take both hoses out to inspect under the mesh for splits. Good time for Samco replacement hoses.

thats what to mine had a rip in the hose wright off the turbo, cut it flipped it got to where I was going right now have 2" 90 degree exhault pipe off the turbo and the remainder of the hose to the inter cooler on just need to order samco hoses

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yep, sure enough I found a massive rip in the bottom side of the turbo to intercooler hose. Wrapped it in duct tape as a temporary fix which actually works really well, ordered a new hose (no money for the samco set and just need one hose so I ordered the omix-ada version from quadratec) should have it in a few days. They are super easy to replace.

Thanks everybody!