It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Jeep just failed CO emissions test!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:11 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

LASSORUS wrote:
I want to kill EGR but my mech. says this will degrade performance because EGR is one of components that determine fuel mixture.

Your mechanic doesn't know much about these vehicles, but I'm not surprised. Most don't.

Get a GDE Full Torque ECO tune, and a Weeks elbow kit and delete your EGR valve. It actually increases performance and MPG. Just the GDE tune will do that, but both make the true difference.

GDE ECO Tune / Fumoto Valve / E-Tecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs / 2nd Gen Fuel Head / Mishimoto RED Hoses / Rockers/Lifters @ 114k / Hayden FC + 11 Blade Nylon / Sears P1 Battery / Transgo 45RFE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit / Timken Front Bearings

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:48 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the response. I live in Westminster, CO. Had to test it 3 times. Opacity % at 60, 50, 40, zero shift was 40, 20, 44, 0. changed air cleaner and added fuel additive. 2nd test was 22, 3, 23, 0 which would have passed but got a chk engine light. darn! The guy performing the test asked if he could borrow the vehicle and hook it up to scan tool to maybe learn a thing or 2 about these CRD's, (illegal), I said "sure". Came up with 'cyl 4 misfire' code. he ran veh. thru light, steady, & heavy loads, turning off injectors 1 at a time, all acted similar. Cleared code and it did not return, I think it might have been a falsely generated code, or engine repaired itself. Cool. He then checked intake at throttle and cleaned MAP sensor. Re-ran test and opacity was 10, 4, 14, 0. I'm gonna kill the EGR. I'm not much of a gear head but blowing soot into the intake sounds like CRD suicide. I've read, I think on this wonderful site, that these turbo diesels generate soot as turbo spools up because engine can't draw in air fast enough, making mixture too rich. Also read something about these CRD's being somehow exempted from emission testing because they are notoriously sooty, even for diesels. That is why they were discontinued in 07. My Lib. Limited has 135K miles. It was either 'Off Road Mag. or 4-Wheeling mag. that called the CRD "a cute little Italian tractor". Aptly put. Pulls as hard as my Explorer Limited did, and it had the cherry flavored 5.0 liter 8-cyl.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:19 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Misfire codes can also happen when the rockers are not happy. The combustion is not correct and the engine can detect this. Have you had the timing belt replaced? You are WAY overdue on both mileage and age if you haven't, and I am suspicious of the result if you have - an improper timing job is the primary reason that rockers break, but this is the designed failure mode of the engine.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

geordi wrote:
Misfire codes can also happen when the rockers are not happy. The combustion is not correct and the engine can detect this. Have you had the timing belt replaced? You are WAY overdue on both mileage and age if you haven't, and I am suspicious of the result if you have - an improper timing job is the primary reason that rockers break, but this is the designed failure mode of the engine.

Hey and thanks. The misfire code never came back, its been about 8 months. Timing belt and glow plugs replaced by previous owner. My bro-in-law got the vehicle for me. After selling cars his whole life he is now an auto consultant. He is good friends with the previous owner and said the guy is a gear head. Judging from the shape of the vehicle, (inside and out), he took very good care of it. My Liberty doesn't seem to have any non-usual issues. In fact, it seems to be QUITE THE GEM! It obviously never got the codes that neuter the engine. Took it to Burlington, ran great,(except the smoke when accel.), there and back. Takin it for altitude test-Engineer pass when I'm done killing the ECR. Now for "Jason's stupid question of the day". What are the designations KJ and KK pertaining to Liberty's?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

02-07 Libertys are KJs and 08-10 are KKs. Many of not all Jeep models have a letter "name" in addition to the model name.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:48 am 
LOST Newbie

Find some biodiesel! fill up on as high a content (B100 if possible) then drive around for a few miles. Take the test again and youll pass!

Suncoast TC shift kit
40MPG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:12 am 
LOST Newbie

papaindigo wrote:
02-07 Libertys are KJs and 08-10 are KKs. Many of not all Jeep models have a letter "name" in addition to the model name.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:37 pm 
LOST Member

Well i just failed CO emissions for high Opacity for the first time in 8 yrs (tested every 2 years). 35% is the Opacity limit. Replaced turbo in 2017 after it imploded. Readings jumped significantly after turbo replacement and continue to get worse. Pulled the MAP sensor after test and it is spotless w/ zero soot , no codes, Air filter new w/ 2800 miles on it (starting to get dirty), new fuel filter and in-tank fuel pump @ 171200. Very little soot in intake as ORM was run from ~3000 miles to GDE FT ECO tune @111344 miles and was nice and clean when Weeks Stage 1 installed @126006 miles and was still nice and clean when last checked @160006 miles. Have also replaced the turbo modulator valve and filer assys within the last year. I'm considering tearing down the top end and replacing the rockers & lifters along with ARP head bolts and fresh timing job as it's been 7 yrs since the timing belt was last replaced.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what may be going on is appreciated.

My readings for all years are:

2020 - 173500 miles - Full Torque ECO Tune - Weeks Stage 1 - Clean MAP - Mishimoto upper CAC hose, Samco lower CAC hose - Weeks Silicone Intake Hose - GDE ECO Trans Tune
60 MPH 42% Opacity
50 MPH 10% Opacity
40 MPH 56% Opacity
Zero Shift 00% Opacity

172084 miles - Replaced DieselSite Wicked Turbo for loose compressor housing - Weeks Silicone Intake Hose - New Air Filter

2018 - 154130 miles - Full Torque ECO Tune - Factory upper CAC hose, Samco lower CAC hose
60 MPH 22% Opacity
50 MPH 27% Opacity
40 MPH 25% Opacity
Zero Shift 00% Opacity

2017 - Turbo blew 151467 miles. - Installed new DieselSite Wicked Turbo

2016 - 134893 miles - Full Torque ECO Tune - Samco CAC hoses
60 MPH 03% Opacity
50 MPH 02% Opacity
40 MPH 05% Opacity
Zero Shift 01% Opacity

2014 - 118521 miles - Full Torque ECO Tune - Samco CAC hoses
60 MPH 04% Opacity
50 MPH 06% Opacity
40 MPH 06% Opacity
Zero Shift 00% Opacity

Timing Belt Job 105860

2012 - 90609 miles Stock tune - Samco CAC hoses
60 MPH 04% Opacity
50 MPH 04% Opacity
40 MPH 06% Opacity
Zero Shift 00% Opacity

Thx - Chris

Last edited by MtnClimber on Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:27 pm 
LOST Member

Started new message thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=91558

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:13 am 
LOST Newbie

LASSORUS wrote:
I want to kill EGR but my mech. says this will degrade performance because EGR is one of components that determine fuel mixture.

That is not how diesel works. I'd say he's dumb, but more likely just doesn't want to be involved with your emissions bypass.
The only way an EGR improves anything is by destroying the old so you can get something new.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for getting back to me, you guys have been instrumental in my learning things about a Jeep variant nobody seems to know how to service.

As it turned out, the only reason my Jeep failed emissions is because I mistakenly and unknowingly took it to a criminal for testing.

I've since found a reputable place and last two tests were clean as a whistle! (The EGR delete has made it even better).

After researching into diesel testing procedure, it's at the tester's discretion as to exactly when to take the reading upon loading the engine. The nice guys allow a bit of time for that initial puff of smoke, (soot) to dissipate before taking a reading. That discretion opens the door for crooks to bilk owners who have no recourse.

Had the EGR delete, thanks again rockymountainyote. My last emissions were:
60rpm. 6%
50rpm. 7%
40rpm. 4%
Zero shift 0%

I since blew about a 5 inch hole in one of my CAC hoses, replaced them with good silicone hoses but then my Jeep sounded like a clarinet at 30mph or higher, thought it was a crack in the CAC itself. Was in the process of making caps so I could pressurize it and look for leaks when I had to drive it. Reinstalled the hoses and the sound went away. Must have had a clamp on too tight or too loose. Gotta love it when problems fix themselves. Jeep runs like a bat outa hell now.