It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Awful squeal
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

When my jeep hits about 1,800 RPM, it starts to make a horrible squealing sound. I'm not getting any codes. It kind of sounds like its coming from the turbo(at least that area). So I unplugged the vacuum line on the turbo and the noise stops. I assumed turbo, and I have about 130,xxx miles on the jeep with the original one, so I changed it. Same noise still persists. I checked my intercooler hoses for leaks. Saw no leaks. A couple of wear signs, but no oil from around them. We also pulled the belt off with the same result. I was thinking it kind f sounded like a vacuum leak. But need help. I'm posting a video. Any help would be awesome.

http://jamescrumby85.tumblr.com/post/118400473479

2005 Liberty CRD Limited Loaded, GDE Hot Tune, Rear Suspension Air Bags, ARB Bull Bar, OME 790 front springs with Nitrochargers, Rancho 9000s in the rear, 245/75/16 Duratracs, Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, Red Samcos, HiLift, Smittybuilt X2O 8,000 lb, Solid Rear Diff Cover

Chaperoned by the dog pack - Bobby Seale, Abbie Hoffman, and MJ Pride

Post subject: Awful squeal
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:02 pm 
LOST Addict

It's that thing you unplug the vacuum hose from (vacuum valve, modulator or actuator, right now I forgot it's name...). I think you can get it for less than 100 from moparpartsamerica. Somebody with a better memory will tell you exactly it's name. Temporarily, I think you can also bypass it, just look on how hoses are plugged together.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

Post subject: Re: Awful squeal
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

I pull the main vac line off the other part. Plugged it directly into the port next to where I was unplugging. Noise persists. It doesn't sound like its coming from there. More like front of turbo. Basically upper intercooler hose, about half way down, straight down from there.
Also, I had the engine replaced about 2 years ago. Since then little things have always been wrong. On the turbo when we swapped it yesterday, one bolt was missing, and one was loose. Both of the top ones. I wonder if the exhaust manifold is also loose on the block side.

2005 Liberty CRD Limited Loaded, GDE Hot Tune, Rear Suspension Air Bags, ARB Bull Bar, OME 790 front springs with Nitrochargers, Rancho 9000s in the rear, 245/75/16 Duratracs, Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, Red Samcos, HiLift, Smittybuilt X2O 8,000 lb, Solid Rear Diff Cover

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 2:40 am 
LOST Member

Oil separators have been known to make similar noises - the internal valve goes soft and resonates.
Check on the internet - there are plenty of recordings of these blowing raspberries at their owners as the engine revs get up.
You may recognise the sound.
Yours seems a little smokey in the video (engine bay) so it could well be a faulty / dirty oil sep. It should not blow that much oil / smoke around under the hood especially when you throttle off.
How are your other hoses esp that one to the turbo given you note screws missing?

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok. Yea. That kind of sounds like it. I couldn't find a video of it happening on one of our crds, but the couple videos I found did sound very similar. Question though, why would unplugging the turbo stop the sound? I mean even at the same rpm, with vacuum hooked up it squeals, without, it doesn't.

The smoke is steam. I'd drained the coolant reservoir to swap the turbo and spilled some refilling.

All the hoses look good. We even plugged both sides with PVC end caps, put a fitting on one side and pressure tested them.(intercooler hoses)

We also pulled serpentine belt because it almost sounds like belt slip sometimes. Same result.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

My turbo is doing this exact thing. What is the issue/fix?

I replaced my turbo last year it was making a way worse noise then but it was similar.

I have no extra play in the turbo bearing.
(check engine light is on for glow plug, not boost issues)
1800 rpms ish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMhtT7uimy8

repairs
ujoints yoke
wheel bearing
transmission cooler (currently no cooler)
fuel filter head replaced for sucking air (the piece that the filter attaches to)
normal maintenance.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:38 pm 
LOST Addict

snowboardintahoe wrote:
My turbo is doing this exact thing. What is the issue/fix?

I replaced my turbo last year it was making a way worse noise then but it was similar.

I have no extra play in the turbo bearing.
(check engine light is on for glow plug, not boost issues)
1800 rpms ish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMhtT7uimy8

I didnt hear any strange turbo noises in that video.
Just a bunch of strange noises of you moving around while driving.
Engine itself sounded normal.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:39 pm 
LOST Junkie

my do the same noise , and is not normal engine sound ,sound like a knocking especially at stationary gas , plus now my engine have the noise similar at the previous video , drive me crazy

https://www.facebook.com/YetiChiptuning

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

Driving it you can hear the noise very well. It's upon acceleration around 2k.

When I unplug the vacume line to the vane acctuator it stops the noise.
I am going to clean the vanes from the exsuaste side with a foaming oven cleaner. (Read some people here had success and on tdi club)

repairs
ujoints yoke
wheel bearing
transmission cooler (currently no cooler)
fuel filter head replaced for sucking air (the piece that the filter attaches to)
normal maintenance.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:18 pm 
LOST Junkie

let me know if you solve this annoing noise

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:23 pm 
LOST Junkie

cleaned the turbo and knocking noise persist and the strange lament idem , chenged the mprop valve on the HP pump and knocking noise go away ...................eureka ..........but the lament persist