It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recommended coil spring compressor?
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:41 pm 
LOST Addict

What coil spring brand and part number do you recommend for installing new front coil springs?

The one I bought from Harbor Frieght the fingers would not fit between the coils.

Post subject: Re: Recommended coil spring compressor?
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:40 pm 
LOST Member

You could take a look at what Autozone has in their "loan a tool" program. Maybe one of those will work, and it's free.

http://www.autozone.com/landing/page.js ... oan-a-tool

Other than that, you could try letting the suspension hang down to full droop and see if that gives you enough clearance between the coils.

Mike

Cummins Lift Pump
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
DIY Rebuilt Tranny Pump
Suncoast Torque Converter
2nd Generation Fuel Head
Sears P1 Battery
Hot Diesel Solutions Thermostat

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The ones they loan won't work - but the ones they sell will.

these work on CRD coils and OME790's
T70570
http://www.amprotools.net/product_list.aspx?productid=754&partnerid=32&categoryid=5&mode=show

They sell them at Advance auto for ~$40 - but you'll probably have to special order them

that or take them to a shop with a wall mounted compressor

the springs are 400lb/in stock and 500 lb/in OME

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 2:39 am 
LOST Newbie

I have this one, kind of pricey but will work for most springs. It is heavy duty and works with air tools.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121074452980?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:31 am 
LOST Addict

70AnvKK wrote:
I have this one, kind of pricey but will work for most springs. It is heavy duty and works with air tools.

Oooh. I like the looks of that one.
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:18 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Having been in the near vicinity of springs that have unexpectedly let lose, fortunately did not hurt anyone, my advice is just take it to a shop that has the tools to do the swap; don't try it yourself especially with cheapish tools. Shouldn't cost more than $10-20 per spring to just get it done right and safely.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:03 am 
LOST Addict

papaindigo wrote:
Having been in the near vicinity of springs that have unexpectedly let lose, fortunately did not hurt anyone, my advice is just take it to a shop that has the tools to do the swap; don't try it yourself especially with cheapish tools. Shouldn't cost more than $10-20 per spring to just get it done right and safely.

While I do agree with you, locally, prices are more like $40 per spring and most shops wont even do it unless you purchase the shock or strut or spring through them.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sigh, maybe I'm spoiled having done business with the same shop for decades. Heck they didn't even want to charge me for using their lift to install my Mopar skids but I paid them $20 anyway, more than worth it.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 1:55 pm 
LOST Junkie

Les Schwab did mine for $30 per spring in a couple of hours.

RUNNING B100
Pic of my Jeep!

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 3:20 am 
LOST Newbie

70AnvKK wrote:

+1

I already had this tool from working on some euro vehicles and used it to do the front springs on my CRD. It was a tight fit but very secure. I've always preferred this style of spring compressor but still approach this work with care and respect for the dangers involved.

Having a shop do the swap also makes sense and it can be worth it to have a good relationship with a local independent mechanic for other stuff as well.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:00 am 
LOST Addict

Sonorous wrote:
70AnvKK wrote:

+1

I already had this tool from working on some euro vehicles and used it to do the front springs on my CRD. It was a tight fit but very secure. I've always preferred this style of spring compressor but still approach this work with care and respect for the dangers involved.

Having a shop do the swap also makes sense and it can be worth it to have a good relationship with a local independent mechanic for other stuff as well.

I don't have that but looks as it would fit through the coils and being able to use it with air tools it's a definite plus. Is it rated for air tools though? Usually presses/pullers specifically mention not to use air tools. I have for example a Mercedes spring compression tool that mentions not to use it with air tools. Regardless, I think I'll go get it, the spring Clamps I have are a pain to use with diesel Springs.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

It's not rated for air tools, so I used my wimpy 18v Dewalt impact. :mrgreen:

I actually think doing it with hand tools would be more dangerous, just in terms of lingering around the thing for longer and putting yourself within harms way. Just don't use some monster impact on the maximum setting and use common sense (i.e. go slow, look/listen/think). I probably use the tool a few times a year. If I was beating on it daily it would be the wrong tool for the job.

IIRC I used the smallest of the three sizes for the CRD. I think I had to place the jaws in loose and them attach them to the compressor in place due to the tight spacing when installed in the shock assembly (i.e. as them come of the Jeep). In other words, it fit like a glove and there was no way anything was going to shift precariously. The tool would have had to fail catastrophically for the spring to come loose.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:23 am 
LOST Addict

Sonorous wrote:
It's not rated for air tools, so I used my wimpy 18v Dewalt impact. :mrgreen:

I actually think doing it with hand tools would be more dangerous, just in terms of lingering around the thing for longer and putting yourself within harms way. Just don't use some monster impact on the maximum setting and use common sense (i.e. go slow, look/listen/think). I probably use the tool a few times a year. If I was beating on it daily it would be the wrong tool for the job.

IIRC I used the smallest of the three sizes for the CRD. I think I had to place the jaws in loose and them attach them to the compressor in place due to the tight spacing when installed in the shock assembly (i.e. as them come of the Jeep). In other words, it fit like a glove and there was no way anything was going to shift precariously. The tool would have had to fail catastrophically for the spring to come loose.

Lol, so you don't use air tools since it's not ratted for but you use an electric impact (not air operated), that's funny! I use impact all the time being too lazy to manually wrench it (especially for c Clamps for Bushing and ball joint removing), I think they don't rate those as impact tools more for liability issues so the manufacturer doesn't have to be responsible for any damage/injury... I'm pretty sure that "wimpy" Dewalt is stronger than the average air impact guns... I have 2 Milwaukee guns, one 450lbs/ft and the other one 1350lbs/ft, last one either rips the bolt off either unties it, I find them better than most air guns that require thousand dollars high cfm air compressors...

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.