It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Repair your fuel injector return line!
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

New injector return line: about $60

Repair kit: $22.5

I'll just leave this right here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-6L-Duramax-Injector-Return-Line-Kit-6-6L-2004-5-2010-/151610155396?hash=item234cab6184&vxp=mtr

Post subject: Re: Repair your fuel injector return line!
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:29 am 
LOST Addict

So does this fit the crd injector? That's good to know, as you can buy the return hose for many places, I always wondered what sizes and interchangeability is for the plastic t connectors.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:01 am 
LOST Newbie

thermorex wrote:
So does this fit the crd injector? That's good to know, as you can buy the return hose for many places, I always wondered what sizes and interchangeability is for the plastic t connectors.

It does. Exact same part for the fittings. They are made in Italy by a company called Redat Manufacturing.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:07 pm 
LOST Addict

Perfect, thanks for sharing

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks for sharing. Just discovered a leak off the top of #3 injector. This is much better than $60 for the assembly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:50 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Now if only there was a metal version of the return block, or if these were made of brass AND there was a metal version.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Agree, This is what I came up with when I broke that piece of ...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:27 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

BUG, that's not a bad setup either.

Post the material list and how you made it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:39 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Yeah, I kinda like that Bug, how'd ya make it?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:15 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

A brass option made from plumbing parts can be seen at viewtopic.php?f=5&t=80939&p=853259#p853259

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:47 am 
LOST Member

geordi wrote:
Yeah, I kinda like that Bug, how'd ya make it?

It looks like a NPT bull plug that was cross drilled completely through. Then, two intersecting diagonal holes were drilled. I assume the NPT threads were cut from the plug? What size plug did you use? And what metallurgy?

GDE FT ECO tune, GDE TCM ECO tune, ARP studs, HDS-001 203F T-Stat, 3.7L nylon fan & Hayden 2905 clutch, Carter P76148M in-tank pump, Racor 245R122 filter head & 2 micron R25S fuel filter, Provent 200, Samcos, Fumoto F-102, Litens 920834A de-coupler, PML rear diff cover, OEM trans pan with welded in bung, JBA UCAs, full skids.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:15 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well I got the idea from someone else on the forum. The body is a brass three way 1/4 NPT air hose splitter >LINK<.

Two 90 degree barb NPT fittings for the fuel pump and rail return lines I ordered 1/4 but think I ended up with a larger size>LINK<
One 1/8 straight barb1/4 NPT [/url] for the injector return.>LINK<
One straight 3/8 barb NPT fitting for the outlet to the tank (Think its 3/8 but can't find what i ordered)

I bent a piece of steel and drilled a couple of holes in it to have some where to zip tie the block to the same spot the original mounted
I thought about making a hex bracket of bent sheet metal to slip the body into but got lazy and wanted something quick.

Here's another picture that seems to show I used a larger size

Last edited by bugnout on Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:31 pm 
LOST Member

Wow!! A compressed air manifold.....that's easy! How about an aluminum log style? The "5th" nole can be plugged with a allen head NPT pipe plug.

http://www.amazon.com/Thread-Quick-Conn ... r+manifold

GDE FT ECO tune, GDE TCM ECO tune, ARP studs, HDS-001 203F T-Stat, 3.7L nylon fan & Hayden 2905 clutch, Carter P76148M in-tank pump, Racor 245R122 filter head & 2 micron R25S fuel filter, Provent 200, Samcos, Fumoto F-102, Litens 920834A de-coupler, PML rear diff cover, OEM trans pan with welded in bung, JBA UCAs, full skids.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:40 pm 
LOST Addict

Ooh, I like that blue one - that looks like it could be a good option too.

And here I was thinking that a prototyper would be useful to scan that thing and duplicate it, when just parts from my favorite auto parts store (The Home Depot) would be everything needed!

Awesome!

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The only thing missing from the kit is the check valve. I just reused mine. I noticed that each of the 3-way fittings is marked as either "3" or "1". I could not detect any difference between them but I matched that to the markings on the originals which were marked 3.1 or 3.3. I used "1" for injector 2 and 3, "3" for injector 4. The connector for #3 was broken off and stuck in the top of the injector. Took a small screwdriver and twisted it until the piece wedged, then pulled it straight out.

This an even better deal because the kit include 4 of the fuel return line clips. They are not stainless like OEM, but spring steel.
The Stainless clips go for $19.95 a piece which means this $20 kit saves you about $120 over OEM parts.

Over wrote:
New injector return line: about $60

Repair kit: $22.5

I'll just leave this right here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-6L-Duramax-Injector-Return-Line-Kit-6-6L-2004-5-2010-/151610155396?hash=item234cab6184&vxp=mtr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I think the little bobby pins for our CRD are about $20 a piece, this kit is worth having around for any project where you need to remove injectors.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:46 pm 
LOST Addict

flman wrote:
I think the little bobby pins for our CRD are about $20 a piece, this kit is worth having around for any project where you need to remove injectors.

I call those things the "Oh $#!T" clips, b/c usually when you are grabbing them with the needlenose, they manage to spring loose and you immediately go "oh S#!T, where'd that thing go?" :banghead:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:19 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

geordi wrote:
flman wrote:

I call those things the "Oh $#!T" clips, b/c usually when you are grabbing them with the needlenose, they manage to spring loose and you immediately go "oh S#!T, where'd that thing go?" :banghead:

I keep a magnet nearby by after I lost one, and managed to find it in a crevice of the engine, but losing one of then could bring the entire project to a stall. Vice grip needle nose pliers can give you more of a sense of security as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:27 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I just ordered one of those Duramax kits to have in my CRD parts arsenal, what is the point in re-engineering a fuel return line on a 10 YO vehicle, unless you are in a pinch and have to do it on the spot?

Besides, that kit may even work on my 2 Sprinters.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:03 am 
LOST Addict

A couple of tips:

- Rodents like to nibble through the OE style cloth braided hose
- 1/8" Tygon fuel and lubricant hose, the yellow stuff, will get you going again at a pinch. You can pick some up cheap at Napa or any small engine repair/parts store.