It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How can I test CRD injector pump?
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

I did a timing belt, head gasket, water pump, ARP studs etc. about 4K miles ago, running better than ever since new. Loving it then after being on freeway for 3 hours, exit ramp, take right turn and just dies like it ran out of fuel. So i pump primer till its hard, bleed air etc, cranks but no start and primer is easy to push again.
How can i check injector pump??

Thanks

06 CRD Limited/#2
Full OME suspension/Sway Bar Disconnects
ARB Bumper/ LEDs
SS Cat Back
Warn 8000
KC HID Daylighters (2)
Sasquatch EGR delete kit
ARP stud kit
Safari Snorkel
Suncoast TC
Alpine/ JL Audio
Clifford Remote Start
Netto Terra Grapplers 265/75/16
GDE Hot
Lift Pump
Sasquatch Battery Kit

Post subject: Re: How can I test CRD injector pump?
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:26 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Engine must be running, and requires DCJ scantool DRBIII for '05, STARSCAN for '06, or AUTEL MaxiSYS or AUTEL MaxiDAS780, which is available from HARBOR FREIGHT

'05-'06 KJ CRD FSM's can be downloaded from this site:

http://colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:51 am 
LOST Addict

I was able to check one by holding the pointy end of a cone shaped vacuum hose adapter into the fuel line that was connected to a cheap vacuum gauge, while having my wife crank the engine. It was easy to verify that the thing was pulling more than the minimum vacuum. I can't remember the specs, but I accessed the line on the pump side of the filter.
It ended up being a bad connection on the ecu (pin was burnt from poor connection) for one of the two sensors on the fuel rail. I can't remember which one now.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:13 am 
LOST Addict

PANHEAD wrote:
I did a timing belt, head gasket, water pump, ARP studs etc. about 4K miles ago, running better than ever since new. Loving it then after being on freeway for 3 hours, exit ramp, take right turn and just dies like it ran out of fuel. So i pump primer till its hard, bleed air etc, cranks but no start and primer is easy to push again.
How can i check injector pump??

Thanks

I think at this point it's safe to assume the problem IS NOT the injection pump.

I'd be checking these first:
Camshaft sensor
Crankshaft position sensor
ASD relay and fuse
Fuel injector wire connectors

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Mountainman wrote:
I was able to check one by holding the pointy end of a cone shaped vacuum hose adapter into the fuel line that was connected to a cheap vacuum gauge, while having my wife crank the engine. It was easy to verify that the thing was pulling more than the minimum vacuum. I can't remember the specs, but I accessed the line on the pump side of the filter.
It ended up being a bad connection on the ecu (pin was burnt from poor connection) for one of the two sensors on the fuel rail. I can't remember which one now.

This is a good method of testing the internal lift pump which draws fuel from the tank thru the leaky filter head and into the CP3 Inj Pump low-pressure section

However, there is no method of testing the very-high-pressure 23000psi injection pump and injectors at home or garage
- opening any of those four injection lines can result in serious injury, maiming, and death, even at idle, with ONLY 6000psi at the injectors
- testing of the very-high-pressure section can be done if the vehicle is running, but requires a comprehensive scantool, as mentioned by name previously
- testing can also be done if the vehicle is not running by using any of those same scantools to acess data and any resultant DTC's in the ECM

And I concur: failure description does not at this time point towards the CP3 as focus of failure

Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I can read the pressure of the pump with a generic OBDII scanner, Inova 3160 in my case.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:50 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

flman wrote:
I can read the pressure of the pump with a generic OBDII scanner, Inova 3160 in my case.

Good input, but, reminder: engine must be running

Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:09 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

gmctd wrote:
flman wrote:

Good input, but, reminder: engine must be running

Of course, it is not a magic pump. :-)r

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:07 pm 
LOST Addict

gmctd wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

This is a good method of testing the internal lift pump which draws fuel from the tank thru the leaky filter head and into the CP3 Inj Pump low-pressure section

However, there is no method of testing the very-high-pressure 23000psi injection pump and injectors at home or garage
- opening any of those four injection lines can result in serious injury, maiming, and death, even at idle, with ONLY 6000psi at the injectors
- testing of the very-high-pressure section can be done if the vehicle is running, but requires a comprehensive scantool, as mentioned by name previously
- testing can also be done if the vehicle is not running by using any of those same scantools to acess data and any resultant DTC's in the ECM

And I concur: failure description does not at this time point towards the CP3 as focus of failure

Dang, I hadn't thought about the other side. So, I guess I tested part of it anyhow. Thanks for the education Gmctd :JEEPIN:

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete