It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: turbo oil return
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:09 pm 
LOST Addict

Discovered mine is leaking a tiny bit at the grommet seal at the bottom of the return line during my last oil change . has anyone changed theirs out yet? how much work is it? do I need to replace the gasket at the top of the return line too?

Post subject: Re: turbo oil return
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:09 pm 
LOST Addict

Honestly, that drain tube is such a pain in the booty that I'd just leave it alone.
If you start with a empty swear jar, it will be full by the time you are done with it.

But yes, you should replace the gasket.
Also, IDparts has a new replacement drain tube that is flexible and makes it a little bit easier to work with.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:28 pm 
LOST Addict

so would it be better for me to watch it and replace it if it gets worse?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have to agree with flash7210 on this. The return line is essentially gravity feed and the push grommet at the lower end in the block is not the greatest seal in the world. My notes on installation of the GDE Stage II turbo indicate that it is possible to replace this without removal of the turbo but not easily. If it's a tiny leak then as flash7210 says just leave it alone but do keep an eye on oil consumption/loss. If you do eventually replace it I'd get the updated tube, upper gasket and grommet from idparts.

PS - yep

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:19 am 
LOST Addict

yeah I did see there was a new tube and it looked different than what is currently installed, middle section looked to be flexible from the pic and I think mine is solid. the new tube was $115 :shock: but gaskets and grommet about $8 so going to monitor it and not take action unless it gets to be more than a tiny leak.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:15 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
It shouldn't ever be more than a tiny leak, and the new design won't last forever without leaking too - it is just poked into the side of the block as you see it, and that grommet might get oil saturated and start to degrade.

I'd just wipe it off and forget about it. The gasket at the top is a pain to get at too.

One possible solution to the bottom is some "stretch and seal" silicone tape from Home Depot in the plumbing section. It is also sold at various car and boat shows as "rescue tape" in a variety of colors. When you stretch it and wrap something with it, the silicone activates and it bonds only with itself to form a very tight seal.

My solution is this then: Wrap the back end of the tube a couple times where it exits the block, and taper it down to just a single layer about half way to the tip of that tube. This will form a tapered plug into the grommet, and should seal against the oil drip. The silicone also won't be bothered by the oil.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:10 am 
LOST Member

Crap.

If I'd have known there was a updated and perhaps flexible tube, I'd have bought it.

I cracked my hand and exhaust manafold.
Replaced head and reused manafold till I could locate a replacement, fought that tube 2x, hated it.

I'm a heavy equipment mechanic and that tube is one of the worst I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:32 am 
LOST Member

I just swapped my drain tube grommet yesterday and it only took ten minutes!.............of course, my engine is mounted on a stand at the moment. It sure made it easy. :jester:

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:20 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
olypopper wrote:
I just swapped my drain tube grommet yesterday and it only took ten minutes!.............of course, my engine is mounted on a stand at the moment. It sure made it easy. :jester:

Cheater.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:30 am 
LOST Addict

Since I was granted the "opportunity" to replace mine, I found the "new and improved" drain tube to be a nightmare to install. While the OEM one can be relatively easily removed and replaced without taking anything else apart (assuming, of course, someone has not mangled it for you), the new style has a bulkier mounting system and is virtually impossible to install without removing the turbo support bracket. Removing that bracket is almost impossible to do without breaking the mounting stud/bolt, then leading to a increasingly cascading catastrophic experience.

If your OEM one is OK, I would just replace the grommet. However, once it is "tweaked", I, at least, was never able to get it to seal acceptably with a new grommet. ($600 later, mine has the wonderful "new" style installed.)

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:40 pm 
LOST Member

DOC4444 wrote:
Since I was granted the "opportunity" to replace mine, I found the "new and improved" drain tube to be a nightmare to install. While the OEM one can be relatively easily removed and replaced without taking anything else apart (assuming, of course, someone has not mangled it for you), the new style has a bulkier mounting system and is virtually impossible to install without removing the turbo support bracket. Removing that bracket is almost impossible to do without breaking the mounting stud/bolt, then leading to a increasingly cascading catastrophic experience.

If your OEM one is OK, I would just replace the grommet. However, once it is "tweaked", I, at least, was never able to get it to seal acceptably with a new grommet. ($600 later, mine has the wonderful "new" style installed.)

DOC

Thanks for the insight but exactly how easy it is to replace grommet on the return line? Can it be done from bottom side without removing anything? I also have a slow leak but based on comments so far, I am staying put until the oil leak is out of control. I have already bought the grommet but not taking a chance for a "runaway repair job"!

2nd gen fuel head with 2nd stage 2 micron filter, in-tank lift pump, G2 Rear Diff Cover

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:12 pm 
LOST Addict

pjigar wrote:
DOC4444 wrote:

DOC

Thanks for the insight but exactly how easy it is to replace grommet on the return line? Can it be done from bottom side without removing anything? I also have a slow leak but based on comments so far, I am staying put until the oil leak is out of control. I have already bought the grommet but not taking a chance for a "runaway repair job"!

The turbo oil drain tube has two bolts that attach it to the turbo.
Remove those two bolts and you should be able to remove the tube from the side of the block.
Removal is not so bad.
Getting it all back together is a witch.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:49 pm 
LOST Member

If you make your own paper gasket with small holes for the bolts the gasket will hold the bolts in place while you attempt to start them.

2006 Liberty CRD 275K, JBA 2.5 with Fox Shocks, GDE Turbo Kit, GDE TCM Tune, Suncoast TC, OEM fuel filter housing converted to fit Caterpillar Fuel Filter 1R-0749, OEM themostat housing modified to accept Hemi 203 F thermostat.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:06 pm 
LOST Member

Good ideas. I will attempt to replace grommet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2nd gen fuel head with 2nd stage 2 micron filter, in-tank lift pump, G2 Rear Diff Cover

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:30 am 
LOST Member

olypopper wrote:

This may sound trivial, but when attempting to reach that tube, I find it easier to lay completely under the passenger side, head to toe, going lengthwise the vehicle (parallel). When attempting to do the same work while laying perpendicular, it was about 5x more difficult.
Don't forget safety glasses. lots of crap down there to fall off.
:POPCORN:

If you're in New England and need your KJ TB done, PM me.

Retired:
Tractor: Dark Khaki '06 CRD Sport, GDE ECO & Trans Tunes, 2.5" lift + 245/75r16. - Sold 27Apr16
Ghost: Silver '06 KJ CRD Limited, bunch of goodies done - Sold 18Apr16

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:38 am 
LOST Member

Mine leaks at the gasket. Leaves about a 1 inch size drop on my garage floor every night.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:01 am 
LOST Member

joelukex4 wrote:
Mine leaks at the gasket. Leaves about a 1 inch size drop on my garage floor every night.

I believe the bolts are 8mm (or 10mm). I find that stringing about an 18-20" line of 1/4" socket extensions provides just the right amount of "floppiness" to the extensions to be able to get it on there. It sounds stupid. It looks stupid. Add some patience, and it works.

Retired:
Tractor: Dark Khaki '06 CRD Sport, GDE ECO & Trans Tunes, 2.5" lift + 245/75r16. - Sold 27Apr16

Post subject: turbo oil return
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:18 am 
LOST Member

My leak turned out to be a cracked intake hose. I am glad I waited after replacing the intake hose and watched for the leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:42 pm 
LOST Addict

Here's the tip: it is ALMOST ALWAYS THE INTAKE TUBE that is the source of the oil. The oil in the front of the turbo comes from the CCV and is 100% NORMAL. Do not let any tech tell you the turbo is "bad" because of seeing that oil.

The drain tube from the turbo is fixed in position, and should not be able to flex or crack, so there is a minimal chance of leaks from the top of that tube - the oil comes from the intake tube rotting and allowing the oil to weep down the front to the bottom of the turbo.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:56 pm 
LOST Member

geordi wrote:
Here's the tip: it is ALMOST ALWAYS THE INTAKE TUBE that is the source of the oil. The oil in the front of the turbo comes from the CCV and is 100% NORMAL. Do not let any tech tell you the turbo is "bad" because of seeing that oil.

The drain tube from the turbo is fixed in position, and should not be able to flex or crack, so there is a minimal chance of leaks from the top of that tube - the oil comes from the intake tube rotting and allowing the oil to weep down the front to the bottom of the turbo.

Jim - the drain tube has a flex section built in, so there is some flex, albeit minor. Not all have this, mind you, but they are on the 06's that I've seen. The 05 I worked on a few months back had a solid one, though. Perhaps an 05 to 06 improvement? Also, the IDParts replacement only has the flexi-drain: http://www.idparts.com/turbocharger-oil ... -3208.html

I'm not disputing anything about the intake, though. I've seen it a number of times, too.

Retired: