It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stigan Turbochargers???
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:24 am 
LOST Newbie

I believe my turbo just took a dump. I haven't had the time to check for play yet, but it started the whistle sound, blowing oil mist out of the tailpipe, and I went two quarts low in 600 miles with no oil on the ground. I installed the Weeks kit about 2500 miles ago, timing belt and Jeff's thermostat about 1500 miles ago and currently sit at 93,000. I have read the members's concerns about rebuilds and highly recommend using a Garret replacement, but has anyone heard of a Stigan brand new turbo replacement. I found one on this site for $625 plus shipping.

http://www.turbochargerpros.com/addtoca ... god5lwAdw#

Has anyone ran this turbo or know anything about it. I just returned from work from over 9 months off from a mangled up leg. If circumstances were different I would go through Keith, but I am in need of tires and would then also need a new torque converter. I'm just afraid the snowballed expenses would bury me. Any input or other options from the experienced would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and any interests.

'02 Bug TDI engine donor
'01 Yamaha Superjet

Post subject: Re: Stigan Turbochargers???
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:04 am 
LOST Member

In your situation do not worry about any brand names once OEM is not an option, then Ebay has a china special for 375 or so ,some have even got the same for 340, with good results. In terms of Torque converter do not waste money on euro or billet just get a Reman Decco R36LS which is for Hemi and works great in Jeep for 118 with free shipping there is a core charge of 55 bucks though form parts geek.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:38 am 
LOST Newbie

Just put a new Stigan turbo in my Jeep. Have run it once but seems to be working just fine, spools quick. The 2 year warranty is a year longer than any other brand which is nice BUT it needs to be installed by a certified mechanic AND the oil supply line needs to be changed when you change the turbo to meet their warranty requirements. (or you just need receipts showing this)

Fit and finish is excellent, price is right. If it lasts I'll be happy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

2 year warranty, half the price of a Garrett (Although they are arguably one of the best in the business), is pretty hard to pass up.

I will definitely be looking forward to more information on this.

GDE ECO Tune / Fumoto Valve / E-Tecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs / 2nd Gen Fuel Head / Mishimoto RED Hoses / Rockers/Lifters @ 114k / Hayden FC + 11 Blade Nylon / Sears P1 Battery / Transgo 45RFE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit / Timken Front Bearings

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:25 am 
LOST Newbie

Thank You everyone. I'll leave an open mind for another day or two than settle on our options. Thanks for the torque converter info too.

'02 Bug TDI engine donor
'01 Yamaha Superjet