It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Liberty Alignment .
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:42 am 
LOST Newbie

Hello all.. A new problem has come up with my CRD..

This problem likely is not related just to CRDs.

Im have a problem with front-end alignment.
My CRD has had many of the front-end parts replaced: control-arm top and bottom[passenger side], several front end parts & bushings. Alignment at 2 separate shops.

Still, if I let go the wheel this CRD will drift to the right.

I thought the brakes might be dragging on the right side, but both front wheels drag at the same stiffness.
Tires rotated. ...still it will drift to the right.

I dont notice any bearing noise while on the road. In my short experience with this jeep, not many places can work on these jeeps.

any ideas what might be causing this drift to the right?

Home of the dr5 process - http://www.dr5.com

Post subject: Re: Liberty Alignment .
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:39 pm 
LOST Addict

You cant judge a front end alignment by just taking your hands off the steering wheel to see if it drifts to the left of right.
The only way to judge the the alignment is putting it on an alignment rack and using the proper tools and instruments performed by a professional technician.
If your alignment has been set before, and your vehicle has not been in a front end collision, and you haven't been driving into curbs at high speed, then your alignment is most likely just fine.
Something else is causing this drift you are experiencing.

I'd say that 80% of the time its the uneven, poorly paved roads that cover 90% of the United States.
The other 20% of the time its uneven tire wear.

So, rotate your tires and see if that fixes it.
If not, go ahead and try to have it aligned again.
But seriously, if you are NOT having to fight the steering wheel in order to keep the car going straight, you DON'T have an alignment problem.

When I was a technician I did a lot of alignments. The first thing I always did, when a customer brought in a car saying they needed an alignment, was rotate the tires and then take it for a test drive. If no pull or drift then the customer only got charged for a tire rotation.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:23 am 
LOST Newbie

..maybe I wasnt clear enough.

this jeep has been alined 4 times. The last I requested the read out. I have been behind the wheel 40+ years and know when a vehicle is out of alignment. Fighting the wheel to keep it from going right is not normal, even after alignment it still goes right. Rotating the tires is the 1st things I tried.

flash7210 wrote:
You cant judge a front end alignment by just taking your hands off the steering wheel to see if it drifts to the left of right.
The only way to judge the the alignment is putting it on an alignment rack and using the proper tools and instruments performed by a professional technician.
If your alignment has been set before, and your vehicle has not been in a front end collision, and you haven't been driving into curbs at high speed, then your alignment is most likely just fine.
Something else is causing this drift you are experiencing.

I'd say that 80% of the time its the uneven, poorly paved roads that cover 90% of the United States.
The other 20% of the time its uneven tire wear.

So, rotate your tires and see if that fixes it.
If not, go ahead and try to have it aligned again.
But seriously, if you are NOT having to fight the steering wheel in order to keep the car going straight, you DON'T have an alignment problem.

When I was a technician I did a lot of alignments. The first thing I always did, when a customer brought in a car saying they needed an alignment, was rotate the tires and then take it for a test drive. If no pull or drift then the customer only got charged for a tire rotation.

Home of the dr5 process - http://www.dr5.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:24 am 
LOST Addict

Well, maybe your vehicle was involved in a collision and the frame is bent.
But a good technician should be able to tell you that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:51 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If it really is that bad you can ask the alignment tech to account for the "crown" in the road.

What the tech could do is increase positive camber on the drivers side just ever so slightly to account for the crown in the road...it can still be within specs.

Is your passenger side camber more than the drivers side from the alignment sheet. (also check tire pressures...sure you did tho sometimes alignment techs forget to do this before they start adjusting.

Also make sure you rear control arm and bushings are in good condition.

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph