It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Radiator failure??
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hello to all and thanks for reading. I have had a mysterious minor coolant (Hoat) leak for the past year or so. Sometimes a couple of months would past by and no leak... Then in a couple of days id lose enough to through the low level coolant light on in the dashboard. Just no pattern at all. Anyways recently I made 1200 mile trip hauling a small utility trailer. First 600 miles about 1500 lb. on the trailer no issues. However, on the return 600 miles about 2500lb. on the trailer being a heavier load on the trailer the temp gauge on the jeep would start climbing just passing the middle point on grades. Drove with the A/C off in order to lower the temp. When I made it home I replaced the fan clutch with the Hayden, also placed (airlift1000) airbags in the rear springs. A day or two later I noticed a puddle of coolant on the floor. Found coolant collecting near the center of the radiator finns. Air dried the area with air compressor compressor, found the same coolant collecting in the radiator finns the next day. Removed the radiator had it tested and confirmed the radiator is toast. Anyone on here had to replace their radiator or have had a similar radiator failure? It may be possible that I damaged the radiator when I replaced the fan clutch however, I was trying to be extra careful knowing I could damage it.

Thanks Tony

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD, JBA coilovers-4.5 Arms, 5xMoab's with 265-75-16 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ, Safari snorkel, Suncoast T/C, GDE Hot tune, Mandrel bent CAC Tubes, EHM to airbox, Mopar skid's, Fumoto Drain Valve, 3% Tint, ARB front bumper, Full set of Miller tools (9599) to loan within my immediate vicinity.

Post subject: Re: Radiator failure??
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I know some have had to replace based on prior chat about the proper PN which I do not have but I do know the CRD and gasser radiators are different (gasser has tranny cooler in bottom while CRD does not). Leak not repairable?

Easy to damage when pulling fan and shroud which is why I recommend when doing so to put towel or cardboard in front of fan and the cut the shroud in half just below the bolt flanges (throw away bottom half) to avoid future problems.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks for the reply papaindigo Did a relatively quick search in an attempt to find anyone with a radiator failure without success. It's soothing to know I'm not unique with the radiator failure. As for the part number I don't know it either, however I already ordered it through Idparts along with the lower radiator hose, it's on the way (I told them on the phone it was for a CRD). I was not aware of the difference within the gasser/diesel radiator, thanks for sharing. My broken/cracked radiator is still at the shop, probably pick it up tomorrow. The owner of the shop called me earlier in the day and said that the side tanks and attaching gasket are fine. That their is an irreparable crack within the radiator itself??This is coming from the owner of a radiator repair shop only, that has been around for several years. I'm taking their word for it.

Not sure if the radiator was already weak (leaking) in that area, and I damaged it more when I changed the fan clutch? That area is so tight, that if I knew then, what I paid now. I would have removed the whole front grill and everything behind it.

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD, JBA coilovers-4.5 Arms, 5xMoab's with 265-75-16 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ, Safari snorkel, Suncoast T/C, GDE Hot tune, Mandrel bent CAC Tubes, EHM to airbox, Mopar skid's, Fumoto Drain Valve, 3% Tint, ARB front bumper, Full set of Miller tools (9599) to loan within my immediate vicinity.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

Anyone needing a Radiator for a 2006 Liberty CRD, I have a brand new one, in the box, never been opened. I ordered one and got two. Feel free to call email me at: dave@ellegent.com

Fumoto valve
Samco
PML Tran Pan
GDE Eco Tune
Euro TC
Sasquatch Provent
EGR Delete
Weeks 101 Elbow
In-tank Lift Pump
Sasquatch airbox-to-turbo hose