It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alternator ticking
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:47 am 
LOST Member

Hey guys,

Over the last few weeks I have noticed a quiet ticking at idle. I have about 5000 miles on a new timing belt, serpentine belt, rockers, and lifters. MAF readings are good, and the ticking (which sounds like it's coming from the alternator) goes away when the motor is under load. In the last couple of days the alternator started chirping every time the belt goes around. There is no play in the pulley and the belt doesn't jump all over the place. No visible wear on the belt (aside from the normal wear).

From what I have read on here, my decoupler may be wearing out. I can get a reman'd Ultima with a lifetime warranty from OReilly's for $145. Reman from Rockauto is about $120, but with only a 12mo warranty.

I am inclined to replace the entire factory alternator rather than just order a new decoupler. My headlights dim when I put more than one window up or down, and there is a noticeable dimming when the A/C kicks on.

I am hoping that this will cure the ticking and the squeak. I do not see any of the tell-tale bouncing or vibration in my belt, but the chirping noise is definitely coming from the alternator. Does my logic seem sound?

2006 CRD Sport - Weeks kit, ARP studs, and DIY ECU flash
1985 CJ10 pickup
1985 CJ10A tug truck

Post subject: Re: Alternator ticking
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You really cannot see much jumping of the belt with a bad or near bad decoupler unless you shine a light down past the airbox to the serp belt tensioner. If the decoupler is good the tensioner barely twitches. Chirping is a bad sign as in lots of red dust behind the pulley plastic cover.

Don't know if the dimming is related but that's not good either.

I'd lean toward replacing the alternator assembly but be sure you confirm that what you are getting has a real decoupler pulley. The online information is less than clear.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:28 pm 
LOST Addict

At least get the alternator tested before buying a new one.
I seems like most of the reman alternators have crap pulleys.
The alternator itself is supposed to be really darn good and a replacment pulley is less expensive than an alternator.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

flash makes a good point and it has been said that a good auto electric shop, not dealer, will likely to have access to the proper pulley for like $50 and can get you out the door with alternator tested and a new pulley pretty cheaply.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:46 pm 
LOST Member

My local alternator shop (well, really the ONLY local alternator shop) looked up the OE part number, came up with the Littens equivalent, and said the parts cost alone would be $113.50. That seems about right considering that IDparts wants $99.99 before shipping.

So, after parts + labor + tax I would spend about $140 to get that decoupler replaced.

or...

$150 for the parts store lifetime reman which does state that it has a decoupler pulley.

UPC: 29175004989
Remanufactured
160 Amp
New Or Remanufactured: Remanufactured
Amperage (A): 160 Amp
Pulley Included: Yes
Pulley Type: Clutch Or Decoupler
Number Of Pulley Grooves: 6
Voltage Regulator Type: Internal Regulator
Voltage (V): 12 Volt
Clock Position: 1:00
Rotation Direction: Clockwise

1985 CJ10 pickup
1985 CJ10A tug truck

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Not to be overly picky it says "clutch or decoupler" which is are necessarily the same things. See http://www.decouplerpulley.com/basics.cfm for some discussion on this topic.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:09 pm 
LOST Member

Pulled the cover on my lunch break. I guess this answers THAT question. I ordered a new Litens decoupler from www.iat-usa.com for $60; hopefully that will get rid of my ticking and squeaking.

1985 CJ10 pickup
1985 CJ10A tug truck

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yep looks like it. Glad you caught it before it took out the new serp belt and the tensioner.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:34 am 
LOST Member

Steevo wrote:
Pulled the cover on my lunch break. I guess this answers THAT question. I ordered a new Litens decoupler from http://www.iat-usa.com for $60; hopefully that will get rid of my ticking and squeaking.

Sometime during the week, my wife's CRD developed a metallic clicking noise at idle. The serpentine belt was jumping a bit. I pulled the cap from the alternator de-coupler. Under the cover, it looked exactly like yours, Her CRD has 79K miles. I ordered the Litens 920834A from Advance Auto. They currently have a discount coupon code. Cost was $70.

GDE FT ECO tune, GDE TCM ECO tune, ARP studs, HDS-001 203F T-Stat, 3.7L nylon fan & Hayden 2905 clutch, Carter P76148M in-tank pump, Racor 245R122 filter head & 2 micron R25S fuel filter, Provent 200, Samcos, Fumoto F-102, Litens 920834A de-coupler, PML rear diff cover, OEM trans pan with welded in bung, JBA UCAs, full skids.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:25 pm 
LOST Member

Glad you were able to solve your problems, and that my picture helped!

1985 CJ10 pickup
1985 CJ10A tug truck